Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does The Militarization Of The Police Concern you
Yes 122 80.79%
No 28 18.54%
Don't Care 1 0.66%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Trouble is, all those IRS emails were supposed to be preserved as well Incriminating footage would suffer hard drive crashes just the same.

Some departments do have body cams - IIRC, that is part of what caused the Albuquerque PD to have so much trouble over the homeless crazy guy they shot - there was footage from a body cam.
So true. I think part of the problem is the perception that law enforcement is always right and the suspected criminal is always wrong. A reasonable man would assume the FBI would be much more proactive in weeding about bad cops but they don't seem to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 07:47 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
I believe the intent was good. The court is out on the results. The original gripe by the police in many metro areas was that the drug cartels and gangs were far better equipped than were the local police. If memory serves, it was the federal government's intent to bring the local police forces up to par with these cartels and gangs. The police really were out-gunned and did not possess the night vision apparatus and other equipment that the military has enjoyed because of funding constraints upon local law enforcement.
Totally false.

We are not talking about night vision apparatus. We are talking about military equipment that LE does not need and should not have. If they have it they will use it.

And don't try to justify a military local LE by blaming drug cartels. The government creates drug wars. End the war on drugs, then tell me why local LE needs tanks and grenade launchers.

Local LE WANTS power. They will use any excuse available to increase their power and control over the people.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
So true. I think part of the problem is the perception that law enforcement is always right and the suspected criminal is always wrong. A reasonable man would assume the FBI would be much more proactive in weeding about bad cops but they don't seem to care.
So who is weeding out bad FBI agents?

Old 08-19-2014, 07:54 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Totally false.

We are not talking about night vision apparatus. We are talking about military equipment that LE does not need and should not have. If they have it they will use it.

And don't try to justify a military local LE by blaming drug cartels. The government creates drug wars. End the war on drugs, then tell me why local LE needs tanks and grenade launchers.

Local LE WANTS power. They will use any excuse available to increase their power and control over the people.
Local LE has power. When they face very well armed and allied groups that no longer respect authority, they are presented with situations where they may have to work pretty hard to maintain that power - thus the safety of the residents of the area. I have no problem with them being better prepared/armed than the street gangs. I don't really care whether you pin that on the gang or the federal government, my neighbor the police officer has to deal with it and he deserves a good chance at coming home at night. If we would honestly address the criminal element in our society, the police may not have to do this.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Local LE has power. When they face very well armed and allied groups that no longer respect authority, they are presented with situations where they may have to work pretty hard to maintain that power - thus the safety of the residents of the area. I have no problem with them being better prepared/armed than the street gangs. I don't really care whether you pin that on the gang or the federal government, my neighbor the police officer has to deal with it and he deserves a good chance at coming home at night. If we would honestly address the criminal element in our society, the police may not have to do this.
How many street gangs have tanks? And helicopters? And drones? And grenade launchers? None of that makes the residents safer.

I certainly don't feel safer knowing that the local LE has military equipment. I've never felt unsafe because gangs had guns. I don't go into their neighborhood.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How many street gangs have tanks? And helicopters? And drones? And grenade launchers? None of that makes the residents safer.

I certainly don't feel safer knowing that the local LE has military equipment. I've never felt unsafe because gangs had guns. I don't go into their neighborhood.
I understand that you don't go into their neighborhood - very wise choice. Police don't have that luxury, they have to.

It's not the tanks that make residents safer, it's the police and they need to be kept as safe as possible. They have no obligation to make sure the gans have a fair shot at taking them out.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post

Address the criminal element? How have we not been doing that?

Violent crime is the lowest it has been in decades yet our for-profit Prisons continue to be stuffed to the brim with non-violent offenders. Prison Corporations even bribe politicians for stricter laws and longer minimum sentencing. We are turning peaceful people into violent people with our non-sensical drug laws and it is a viscious and perpetual cycle that only grows and grows. Sadly it seems most are aware and choose to look the other way or don't care because the majority of those effected are poor and minorities.

We have the largest Prison population in the history of the World-it's crazy how some bury their heads in the sand and act like "if only we imprison a few thousand more".

It costs over $45,000 PER YEAR to keep someone in jail. What we are doing is literal INSANITY.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

The Prison population started EXPLODING when our Government launched the longest and costliest WAR in American history-the universally recognized quagmire known as The War on "Drugs".

Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Address the criminal element? How have we not been doing that?

Violent crime is the lowest it has been in decades yet our for-profit Prisons continue to be stuffed to the brim with non-violent offenders. Prison Corporations even bribe politicians for stricter laws and longer minimum sentencing. We are turning peaceful people into violent people with our non-sensical drug laws and it is a viscious and perpetual cycle that only grows and grows. Sadly it seems most are aware and choose to look the other way or don't care because the majority of those effected are poor and minorities.

We have the largest Prison population in the history of the World-it's crazy how some bury their heads in the sand and act like "if only we imprison a few thousand more".

It costs over $45,000 PER YEAR to keep someone in jail. What we are doing is literal INSANITY.

I never said we need to be imprisoning more people. In fact, my career is keeping young offenders out of prison and advocating for more effective approaches, so your assumption is incorrect. The police don't ride around in riot gear at all times. They bring those out in situations where a community is under threat from unrest including (or possibly including) multiple people or people likely to be dangerous. In those situations, they don't know what they're going to be confronted with, so I have no problem with them being prepared. The premise that they are "militarized" in everyday situations with nonviolent offenders is simply false.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/statu...999425/photo/1

This is not a police state. The idea that our local police have become paramilitary forces is appalling. From a legislation stand point-- What can and should be done?

I think this is something most conservatives and liberals can agree on.
I said this before the military & police are the last people I would want to have guns Ferguson Missouri anyone?
Form lawful militia's & train right in front of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies