Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does The Militarization Of The Police Concern you
Yes 122 80.79%
No 28 18.54%
Don't Care 1 0.66%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting you bring up hostages...

Was reading an article that stated...

Proponents of the scheme claim the “weapons of war” will largely be used as a “shock and awe”-type show of force for hostage situations and similar emergency scenarios

You getting talking points from somewhere?
Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Police are increasingly looking and acting like an occupying military force. Yes, it's very alarming.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Police are increasingly looking and acting like an occupying military force. Yes, it's very alarming.

Very SS like, no?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yep-and even more alarming are our fellow Americans that seem to think Public Peace Officers acting like an occupied military force is necessary or even legal. They want to just keep on arming these mentally unstable Officers with tanks, hollow point bullets and automatic weapons even when violent crime is at its lowest point in decades and our nation and people bankrupt.

I don't know anyone that thinks like that personally but a few seem to be posting on here....

Perhaps we should stop arresting and imprisoning people for possessing a plant before we turn into a complete Orwellian Police-State.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep-and even more alarming are our fellow Americans that seem to think Public Peace Officers acting like an occupied military force is necessary or even legal. They want to just keep on arming these mentally unstable Officers with tanks, hollow point bullets and automatic weapons even when violent crime is at its lowest point in decades and our nation and people bankrupt.

I don't know anyone that thinks like that personally but a few seem to be posting on here....

Perhaps we should stop arresting and imprisoning people for possessing a plant before we turn into a complete Orwellian Police-State.

I agree. Our fake a** war on drugs isn't helping matters any.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I agree. Our fake a** war on drugs isn't helping matters any.
The War on "Drugs" is the longest and costliest war in our nation's history and has only brought more injustice, murder, pain and misery-but then again, what war doesn't?

WAR is a RACKET and the overflow of guns, ammunition, tanks, etc into our local police departments is just another outlet of the Military-Industrial Complex-just like our Multi-BILLION dollar annual agreements with Israel, Egypt and Saudi Arabia in the Middle East.

The never-ending War on "Drugs" is extremely similar to the never-ending War on "Terror" in that they both are meant to be money-makers for Multi-National Corporations with no stated enemy and no timeline-they treat our American men and women serving as disposable and worthless. They treat foreign civilians even worse.

Get War Corporations out of our Government!!

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-13-2014 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
The police in our little town of about 4,000, have a combat equipped Humvee. It's a huge machine painted blue with impressive police markings. They drive it in the Flag Day Parade, and have led the annual Harley-Davidson parade with it. They got it free from some federal grant.

They also got tasers and made an entertaining video knocking each other out with them.

One of our biggest crimes is teenagers spinning donuts on the beach. The cops love to chase these kids at high speed through town with sirens blasting. I've never seen them bring out the Humvee.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:25 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Strange, I bet that if you were being held hostage you would have no problem with police being armed to the teeth coming to your aide.
>>>> Tell that to that poor woman bank employee held hostage in California. Shot ten times by police bullets.
If I was armed to the teeth, I wouldn't be held hostage, would I?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/statu...999425/photo/1

This is not a police state. The idea that our local police have become paramilitary forces is appalling. From a legislation stand point-- What can and should be done?

I think this is something most conservatives and liberals can agree on.
Agreed. Police should be regular citizens first, and police second.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:49 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>>> Tell that to that poor woman bank employee held hostage in California. Shot ten times by police bullets.
If I was armed to the teeth, I wouldn't be held hostage, would I?
And according to you it was their fault, am I right?
The police are not perfect, they are just like you and me. That said in a Nation that is armed to the teeth I do not blame them for wanting to be able to fight fire with fire. You like stories; Remember the bank robbery where the robbers wore full body armor and the police could not fight back because they were outgunned, the only reason they were finally brought down was because a gun shop owner opened his doors and let the police use some of his AR's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies