Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times

Advertisements

Jesse Jackson says diversity in the tech industry is the next "Civil Rights Movement".

He asked the EEOC to look into the hiring practices in the tech industry.
He said the government must do something about it.

Maybe all business needs to go to a quota system so that "everyone is a winner" in our quest to turn the US into Utopia.

One item not noted in this article is the percentage of women and Blacks that have college degrees in tech to begin with.

I know back in the late 80's when I went to college (engineering) I was the only girl in many classes and the majority of students were Indian males.

Jesse Jackson: Tech diversity is next civil rights step
U.S. civil rights leader Jesse Jackson called on the Obama administration Monday to scrutinize the tech industry's lack of diversity.

"The government has a role to play" in ensuring that women and minorities are fairly represented in the tech workforce, Jackson told a USA TODAY editorial board meeting. He said the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission needs to examine Silicon Valley's employment contracts.
Jackson, 72, discussed tech-sector hiring with the EEOC via phone Monday. The former two-time Democratic presidential candidate said he'll continue pushing the issue and has no plans to retire. "The struggle for emancipation is my life," he said in an interview. "It's my calling."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 04:15 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,538,158 times
Whew! Good thing he threw in the White thing. If he said too many Asians that might be racist. Carry on.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,816,145 times
Well, jibbi-dibiddi and a ratta-tattat - he's right, we need more gangsta rappers to help us to compete with the likes of India and China.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:19 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,036,636 times
I own a business in the tech industry. Here's the thing. None of us care if you're white, black, red, purple, female, male, or anything in between. We ONLY care about your skill and that is all. If blacks aren't represented higher in the tech industry, it's only because there aren't enough blacks majoring in STEM degrees. Easy solution - get a STEM degree and develop skills that would be desirable to a tech industry employer. Back when I started in IT, I was one of only two females in my entire major - oh and I'm half black to boot. Yet I graduated number one in my class and got the best job offers - even in a highly male work environment. Why? Because the ONLY thing the employers cared about was getting the best and brightest. Jesse Jackson is trying too hard to remain relevant and it shows by his constant tilting at windmills.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,958,243 times
White and asian men could say the same thing about basketball and other professional sports...too many black males. Why isn't Jackson complaining about the lack of diversity in the NBA??

Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 PM

409 posts, read 512,527 times
So, once again it's about COLOR or GENDER or, for that matter, sexual preference that matters......NOT Qualifications.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:32 PM

174 posts, read 245,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
White and asian men could say the same thing about basketball and other professional sports...too many black males. Why isn't Jackson complaining about the lack of diversity in the NBA??
Let's see here: there are roughly 350 to 400 players in the NBA. And as a physical sport it is pretty clear who makes the cut and who does not.

How many thousands of people work in the tech industry? And computer programming is a skill that many people can learn if given the opportunity. The same can not be said for dunking a basketball.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM

That is the one thing missing from that article. Jackson completely skipped over the education part and went right into employers discriminating.

I'm sure he knows that women and minorities typically don't go into engineering and IT.

I've gone on quite a few college recruiting trips with my company and I also did the "Girls in Engineering" tour in area middle and high schools.

Girls just don't like Math and don't want to go into tech. They like using it and that's where it ends.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,149,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen613 View Post
I'm Black and I am glad Jeremy Lin(Asian) is getting the recognition he deserves within the NBA, it is saturated with overrated, mediocre talent black men. Anyway, "too many white and asian men in tech"? Thats absurd. Im a Computer Science student and intern for Cisco in Raleigh, NC. I see black people, white people and Asian people. And we all have one thing in common that is that we're human and CERTIFIED to work in the Tech industry. Maybe more black men should stop trying to be rappers and sports stars and start going to college for STEM degrees.
Non-Asian minorities and women are underrepresented in the tech industry. I also own a business in the industry as well. The previous poster is correct-- there are not enough non-Asian minorities and women majoring in STEM majors that lead to tech careers.

Tech careers are accessible, and well recompensed. Is it a problem? I think so.

Unfortunately, minority dominated inner city schools don't seem to graduate students with the requisite math and science skills. It's an institutional problem. Further more, I think our industry would benefit from more diverse less male dominated viewpoints (and management). I don't particularly care what Jesse Jackson has to say, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss the issue entirely.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking_Good View Post
Let's see here: there are roughly 350 to 400 players in the NBA. And as a physical sport it is pretty clear who makes the cut and who does not.

How many thousands of people work in the tech industry? And computer programming is a skill that many people can learn if given the opportunity. The same can not be said for dunking a basketball.
And they are in K-12 and then college.
But it's a hard major.
I had 36 credits of Math, 10 credits of Physics and that's the math/science part.

You just don't pick up a book and *poof*..you too can be a programmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies