Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 03:08 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,231,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, he is the head of the government, it's his watch.

Right or wrong, what happens on his watch he will get the credit for, he will get the blame for.

Of course, it doesn't help the issue when he's not at work but is out instead doing things like campaigning.
Actually no. The president is the head of one part of our government. Given that he cant make or start the laws, hes in many ways the least powerful part outside of wars. This is exactly what I am talking about.

Why do so few comprehend how our government works? This was covered in 7th grade! Did everyone just forget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 03:24 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,856,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You welcome.

If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Oh good grief, you can do better

Old 08-15-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Pot, meet kettle.
Good to met ya.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually no. The president is the head of one part of our government. Given that he cant make or start the laws, hes in many ways the least powerful part outside of wars. This is exactly what I am talking about.

Why do so few comprehend how our government works? This was covered in 7th grade! Did everyone just forget?
You are assuming that some here made it that for up the education ladder.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:42 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,184,450 times
Quote:
Sorry but no, several EO by prior presidents have also had some content that should have been challenged. And hopefully the challenges to Obamas will get this settled better for future presidents.

That being said....none of Obamas EO's do much damage either. The argument is "He made us stop hitting us, he doesnt have the power to do that!". And I think they're right. Others believe it falls within the EO power for interpeting laws and executing them.

One of the few discussions that occur on this board that IS actually about the presidents actual powers.
Changing a law does not fall under interpretation

Old 08-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Changing a law does not fall under interpretation
Go back and re-read what I said. Its a point of debate (and more then you would think-there are past lawsuits covering this that say its more right then wrong). I believe that some of the recent ones did go over the line. Were they the right thing to do? Absolutely! Were they legal-debatable, but I think not.

Basically he is being sued by people who wanted him to do what he did. Kind of ironic. But its important to be settled.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You are assuming that some here made it that for up the education ladder.
I'm sure the vast majority did. Upon reflection I believe that many forget the reality of how it works when they are getting bombarded with propaganda saying differently.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,892,008 times
Quote:
Sorry but no, several EO by prior presidents have also had some content that should have been challenged. And hopefully the challenges to Obamas will get this settled better for future presidents.
There was some. I would have actually supported the Dems if they had started impeachment proceedings when he argued he can imprison American citizens and dispense of due process.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 PM

79,902 posts, read 43,892,008 times
Quote:

With Obama not understanding how the government works, surely it's understandable that others don't. 9-0.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
With Obama not understanding how the government works, surely it's understandable that others don't. 9-0.
Really? You're going to respond with 9-0?

You DO know most of those dealt with things from Bush's presidency right? And the others didn't involve Obamas presidential authority...right? This is a good example of what I am talking about, people who form their beliefs on propaganda, NOT facts and reality.

Heres a reasonable reference for you to become better educated on the bumper sticker talking point you just threw out:
GOP leader: Supreme Court has ruled 13 times that Obama exceeded his constitutional authority | PolitiFact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies