Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would make the best host for the 2016 Democratic National Convention?
Birmingham 4 12.50%
Brooklyn 6 18.75%
Columbus 8 25.00%
Philadelphia 13 40.63%
Phoenix 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM

869 posts, read 1,278,311 times

Advertisements

All I know is that it'd be quite interesting to have the Dems in Columbus with the Republicans already in Cleveland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:55 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Somewhere that is loaded with liberals and minorities.
What would be the point of that???

Old 08-14-2014, 10:59 AM

21 posts, read 31,669 times
My vote goes for Phoenix or Birmingham. Phoenix because the democrat is gaining more ground in the southwest. In my opinion the Democrats basically got Nevada and New Mexico hold since republicans are tumbling with Hispanics voters. Colorado is starting to become more like Washington and Oregon were white millennials are making it lean blue. So Arizona is long shot. But I wish Atlanta was still pending since it is in the center of half the US black population which is also democrat largest block. Also in between two critical swing state Florida and North Carolina. The will need to have it here to increase African American turnout since Obama will not be on the ballot. Georgia was the closest non swing state for the past two cycle. The only thing stopping it was a few white people in Atlanta suburbs. Since Obama is no longer on the ballot the democrats will gain a little more leverage among southern whites and push it towards swinging especially if Clinton is the nominee. So since Atlanta is not a choice the most reasonable one to flip non safe states is Birmingham.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
I'll be in a swing state. So Columbus and Philly would be plausible. Birmingham and Phoenix are not.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I live in Philadelphia so I am biased, but they should still bring it here. The 2000 RNC was held here, and it helped propel George W. to the top and they huge crowds and a lot of success. NY is a solid blue state, PA and Ohio flip flop back and forth. I think the Dems should one-up whatever the GOP is planning for Ohio and bring the event to the Wells Fargo Center. People like seeing the next president stand with statues of Washington and Franklin, along with the rest of the historical sites around. Plenty of nice hotels and restaurants.
In Presidential elections, that is just no longer true. Pennsylvania hasn't gone to the Republicans in a Presidential election for literally decades (1988). The state has just generally become center-left at the federal level -- so think that "swing state" point is pretty moot. Nevertheless, a convention would likely galvanize Dem voters in Philly and thus support "down-ballot" races. This will undoubtedly play into the political calculus of their decision.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:46 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What would be the point of that???
Because the Democrats would feel "at home".

Old 08-14-2014, 01:55 PM

260 posts, read 299,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Detroit! Run-down, high crime, unsafe, corrupt, and half the city is on welfare (if not more). The Dems will be carried around on golden carts, while being fed grapes and fanned with palm fronds! Its a win-win!

I say Birmingham. Bring DEMS full circle. Bull Connor and Art Hanes let the DEMS return to their roots.

oh and Rangers FC est. in 2013. You have no history unlike the mighty Celtic FC who have 126 years of glory. Yeah i said it come at me bro

Old 08-14-2014, 06:00 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
I say Birmingham. Bring DEMS full circle. Bull Connor and Art Hanes let the DEMS return to their roots.

oh and Rangers FC est. in 2013. You have no history unlike the mighty Celtic FC who have 126 years of glory. Yeah i said it come at me bro
Celtic? History? Is that what they call it when they take the choir boys into the confession booth?

Old 02-12-2015, 07:52 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Official: Philadelphia to host 2016 Democratic Convention

Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 PM

752 posts, read 566,800 times
Should play into an economic/demographic theme. Giving a nod to the Hispanic population in the Southwest would be wise, but the region is still struggling from the effects of the housing crash. So Phoenix is out. Likewise, Brooklyn seems too coastal, and Birmingham seems like too much of a sh!+hole (with too much racial baggage). Which leaves Columbus and Philadelphia. Ohio is more of a swing state, and its economy has recovered nicely, so my vote is for Columbus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies