Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 03:52 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times

Advertisements

he may have been unarmed, but was not so innocent according to information released this morning by the Ferguson PD..... with photographs taken from surveillance video to back them up......

Old 08-15-2014, 04:13 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
How is it that East Asians, who are also considered to be people of color, have below percentage incarceration rate, higher than average household income, tremendous academic achievements and over representation in colleges? Were they not also severely discriminated against, like the Chinese exclusion acts etc? How did they become relatively successful, yet the African Americans still struggle? Perhaps the African American community should also look inward for part of the answer to the problem of racism.
Not picking on you, but they really should look inward, especially in situations like these. More Blacks will shoot more blacks then cops ever will this year.
But Keep in mind that, the East Asians community Didn't endure Jim Crow era laws when they got here.
You Just can't give a group of people, Subpar Education in dilapidated schools for 3 Generations.
Lock most of them up behind bars, for little to no reason when selling drugs is the only they feel they can get ahead.
My financial planner told me this story a couple of years back. When he was working on Wall St for a big time broker in the late 80's early 90's they would throw away applications for internship if it had a black sounding name.
This was in the 90's these guys was doing this
Just because we in America wave a wand and say, "presto Everything is now fair and equal" still doesn't erased the wrong and the injustices for the previous 100 years.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Of course not, but you seem to be naive and obtuse to the facts on the ground regarding cultures.

Asians in the US do not score higher than everyone on testing and obtain such a high entrance rate into top universities because of the color of their skin and other phenotype characteristics.

Saudi Arabians do not live by the ideals of a religion because the color of their skin.

Thai people do not eat Thai food because the color of their skin.

Japan does not have a low violent crime rate because the color of their skin.

However, what does play a significant factor is the culture of everyone, and phenotype characteristics do cluster people together, along with language and other cultural indicators, into doing things their cultural group is accustomed to and is acceptable.

So while you state "color of skin does not make someone more prone to crime", well of course not, but if that skin color and other factors make them part of a cultural type group that does make everyone become more prone to crime, that itself will make a person more prone to doing crime.

Just like the act of being in a gang is not a crime in itself, however, the cultural atmosphere of a gang leads a person to commit crimes as part of that group. This is why many blacks wish for nothing more than to get the heck out of these black high crime areas if anything, so their kids will not be under and fall into these cultural crime influences.

But you can keep sticking your head in the sand and claiming "all is good". Nothing will ever be solved with your line of reasoning and action.
Heh...funny how internet people like to label someone based on a sentence. My words mentioned no "action" and neither did I claim that all was good. Obviously, all is not good. Next, you'll probably label me a leftist/liberal. Quite frankly, think however you want about me since ultimately it matters not. Committing crime isn't a "cultural" thing of blacks. It's a reality for many blacks who are in poverty. There is a poverty culture. I am pretty certain that middle and upper class blacks (OMG they exist) do not commit a lot of crime. And if I read your post correctly, are you serious - being part of a cultural type group ("black culture") does make everyone become more prone to crime? Uh...whatchu talkin about Mr. Drummond?

Your words in your previous post made it appear that simply being born Black translates into the being a criminal or being violent and that's a bunch of horsepoop. There are many factors that come into play here. You can paint me whatever color you wish but I judge solely on an individual's actions. And if that's a problem, then...whatever. At the end of the day, it's not like you really want to solve the "problem".

Old 08-15-2014, 04:48 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Well the problem is the police were trigger happy and shot an unarmed, innocent teen, and so of course the community is up in arms over it- the police are the bad guys. Of course the ones who are looting are also in the wrong and do need to be arrested, but there are so many protesters who are not being violent, not looting, not doing property damage who are being pushed around or beaten or gassed. These people have a very legitimate reason for protesting and being extremely angry.
Unarmed, yes, innocent, no.

Strong arm robbery is not innocent, his family admits that is him and regardless if the officer didn't contact him for that reason, Brown, the perpetrator of that crime, knew he was probably being sought for that and that certainly could have affected his response to the officer's contact, knowing the jail time he would likely face. After that we don't know the whole story, whether the 290 lb, 6'-4" "teen" assaulted the officer and struggled for his gun (which seems plausible given his violent actions he exhibited a couple of minutes earlier) and whether Brown actually had his hands up, calmly standing or running away in a surrendering stance or, as some reports are starting to suggest, he was actually lunging at the officer.

Yes, there are disjointed and purposefully incomplete eye witness accounts, from his accomplice and others that frankly I thus far give little credence to. But until enough corroborated evidence comes forth to even charge the officer with a crime and proper evidence of a trial if it comes to that is presented, then and only then will I feel more confident in deciding what really happened and certainly whether this officer was truly trigger happy.

Frankly, many of the protesters should feel a little embarrassed by the bill of goods that they've thus far been sold on this man and the supposed circumstances that led to his death.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:23 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
How is it that East Asians, who are also considered to be people of color, have below percentage incarceration rate, higher than average household income, tremendous academic achievements and over representation in colleges? Were they not also severely discriminated against, like the Chinese exclusion acts etc? How did they become relatively successful, yet the African Americans still struggle? Perhaps the African American community should also look inward for part of the answer to the problem of racism.
In my own medical text-books, it has been plainly stated that African Americans (PC term for "Blacks", as most of them have never seen Africa except on TV...I mean, I am not "German American"...I'm a White guy.) are more prone to blame "Circumstance" or "Luck" or some external force for failure or success, while Whites and Asians are more likely to blame "hard work" or "Laziness" or "Planning/lack of planning" for failure or success.

All I see is this fact born out time and again as a subset of the population who gets money just because they have a certain ancestry or skin-tone, who is allowed to have racially discriminatory and exclusive clubs, organizations, and their own TV channels, is given exclusively their own month out of the year, to say "We are doing poorly in some areas because of something we can't control that's unfair".

When we have 12.5-13.5% of the entire US population committing around 50% of the murders in the US...even if you want to say some of those are "lies"...we have a problem...and it's not the behavior of the other roughly 87%.

Facts are facts, and you can take them how you want, but the fact remains that the Black community needs to do some soul-searching and change its behavior if it wants to change how people view it.

A Black man currently holds the highest office in this country---TWO TIMES, BY POPULAR VOTE. It is time for the Black race to sack up and stop saying "Nobody likes us " and start saying "Hey, we need to correct some stuff! ON OUR OWN! FOR OUR OWN!"

In areas where this has happened, it's a beautiful thing, and racism seems to not be nearly such an issue---because at that point it's senseless bigotry instead of supportable fact, such as in my city, where it CAN be argued that you should avoid certain people based on the numbers.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Sadly, St. Louis is regularly listed as one of the Top Ten Worst Cities. Crime is one of the reasons consistently listed. Jay Nixon was in Ferguson and spoke at a church. The local are out. The State Police are in control. If the reservists were called out they are gone. The FBI and US Department of Justice are investigating. The officer in question is on 'Admistrative Leave' which means off the streets and one a desk.

Like it or not, MO is a conservative southern state. The Civil War that was supposed to free the slaves, and heal a nation to create Lincoln's vision of one house for all was never realized. The sharp divide between the North and South still exists. It will remain this way until our great-grandchildren decide to talk about it and find a peaceful solution. .

Old 08-15-2014, 06:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I've followed this pretty closely through St. Louis media, including the Post-Dispatch and TV websites. I haven't reached many conclusions yet, except that this teen should not be dead. Yeah he stole some stuff, but believe me white teens shoplift or steal plenty from retailers. He should have kept his nose clean, but his offense is fairly minor. (I don't like the strong arm tactics he used. I imagine his parents are horribly surprised to see him on CCTV.)

The looting took place shortly after the shooting, and Ferguson's citizens insisted that most of these were opportunists from around the area, and from seeing some of the persons arrested, I'd say they were right. Also, not reported by major media outside the StL area, is that plenty of local residents came out on the following days to clean up the mess left by the bad behavors.

The subsequent protests were just that--protests. And from quotes I've read, the upshot of everything is that all young men of color in Ferguson are simply picked on for nothing in particular, by the white police officers of this little municipality. It turns out that the officer in question told two black teens, in a disrespectful way, to get back on the sidewalk. (I've noticed that teen boys often walk in the street. I noticed that a pack of teens did this in a very upscale subdivision in W. St. Louis County over a decade ago. They had that look on their faces that teens get when they are trying to be confrontational. I don't think this this behavior is that unusual. Even though it is stupid.)

Somehow everything escalated. The witness, the friend of Michael, has told the Feds who are investigating, that his friend had taken some cigarillos, worth about $50 from the convenience store. So that info has been disclosed, but not out there till today, I don't think. However the officer who started the confrontation, did not connect Michael with this theft.

Until more is disclosed and until the autopsy is complete, we will probably not know enough to pass judgment on Michael or the cop, except that Michael paid a very steep price for his actions, and probably because he is a young black guy. We do know that he was shot multiple times, and his body lay in the street for 4 hours. I do think that the autopsy could be hurried along. I don't understand what the powers that be think they are doing dribbling out info in teaspoons. St. Louis County has up to date services, and surely could have done the autopsy withing a few days.

This dribbling of info, and the outrage that residents feel about the shooting, and the past range of bad behavior by the cops has made them show up for demonstrations. The show of police force for demonstrations, not looting, was simply nuts. Even if cops had showed up in riot gear, kept out of the way, and left the heavy artillery including the military rifle pointed at the demonstrators, in the armory, I think things might have stayed calm. As it was, things got bad. People who were reporting or recording the chaos and firing on civilians, and clergy who were trying to act as peacemakers were rounded up and kept in jail overnight. Reporters from national media were manhandled. You've all seen the pictures. It looked like Baghdad. I was protected for years by St. Louis County Cops. I can't tell you how disappointed I was in their actions. The police chief needs to be fired, IMO. There was no reason for the extreme reaction to demonstrators.

The prosecutor, McCullough, is angry that the St. Louis County Cops were jerked off their job by the governor. I think it is smart that the County Supervisor, Charlie Dooley is maneuvering to have an independent investigator or prosecutor appointed to take the place of the prosecutor. However, the FBI is investigating, and I suppose the outcome of that will be interesting.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
In my own medical text-books, it has been plainly stated that African Americans (PC term for "Blacks", as most of them have never seen Africa except on TV...I mean, I am not "German American"...I'm a White guy.) are more prone to blame "Circumstance" or "Luck" or some external force for failure or success, while Whites and Asians are more likely to blame "hard work" or "Laziness" or "Planning/lack of planning" for failure or success.

I don't know... I've been on CD longer than you have, but even you, by now, should know better than this. I mean... every time... a race baited thread comes up for a thrashing we have this line of dialogue. You must not be so smart as you think you are and you must have cut all your Psychology classes if you don't know the real reason for black failure in America.

I have to say... I might have died and gone to Hell thinking it was really us... we were cursed and it was our own fault... as it happens, I moved to the West Coast. SYM, I've seen Rednecks up close and personal. LOTS of Rednecks because when you look like I do in a city where there are not even enough African Americans to half fill a farm team baseball stadium, and therefore no 'hood. You wind up living with the Rednecks. There are 1,000 Rednecks for every black person over here and Rednecks do everything A.A. people are supposed to do and more. They don't go to jail, they get probation, the felons do go to jail but they serve their sentences at night or on weekends and they find jobs for them. They get stopped for DWI and they assault officers and they survive because the troopers exercise massive restraint when dealing with Rednecks.

So... go ahead... spew your feel good talking points. A lot of people on here know nothing about Rednecks. I didn't. We don't have them in NYC. In their Universe an African American man is the only example that comes forward in their mind when "abject failure" is personified. The women are all hoochies... Oh... don't get me started on the Asian skanks that slink around town on Saturday night dressed like hookers but they are really just out for a night on the town. Lots of them have old white men as boyfriends which is a good thing because no one will employ them. Is this much truth at the end of a 55 page thread going to be too much for it? Can we cut the crap now and call a spade a spade? Let's see.

H

Old 08-15-2014, 06:35 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I've been waiting for more facts to come out:

- Police show video evidence showing Brown assaulting a clerk at a convenience store, apparently one that he robbed of cigars.
- The officer that shot Brown did not know Brown was a suspect in the robbery
- The police say that Brown struggled with the officer in an apparent struggle for the police officers gun
- Witnesses say Brown was compliant and had his hands in the air
- There is no police dashcam because the police department does not have funds for video cameras, of their vehicle fleet only 2 cars are equipped with video cameras

At this point it is hard to know what exactly happened. I could see it going in either direction. Perhaps Brown did confront the officer and tried to struggle for the officers weapon. Perhaps the officer just walked up and shot him dead, it's hard to know at this point.

If there was a struggle, there should be evidence of that on the officer or on Brown (bruising, cuts, scratches, etc.).

Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I've been waiting for more facts to come out:

- Police show video evidence showing Brown assaulting a clerk at a convenience store, apparently one that he robbed of cigars.
- The officer that shot Brown did not know Brown was a suspect in the robbery
- The police say that Brown struggled with the officer in an apparent struggle for the police officers gun
- Witnesses say Brown was compliant and had his hands in the air
- There is no police dashcam because the police department does not have funds for video cameras, of their vehicle fleet only 2 cars are equipped with video cameras

At this point it is hard to know what exactly happened. I could see it going in either direction. Perhaps Brown did confront the officer and tried to struggle for the officers weapon. Perhaps the officer just walked up and shot him dead, it's hard to know at this point.

If there was a struggle, there should be evidence of that on the officer or on Brown (bruising, cuts, scratches, etc.).

The forensics will tell everything. For those claiming that Brown was running away and was shot in the back, that will be relatively easy to prove. At this point, its just a lot of he said/she said, th ballistics and entry wound information will be the key evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies