Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Yep, and i have been on that bandwagon with friends and social media, yet nobody cared. One good thing that will come from this, regardless of charges and verdict, will be that Americans have finally seen that local police militarization has gone too far. the days of neighborhood policing are over and in it's place we have a quazi-military style militia, with the power and tools to suppress large gatherings. A very dangerous trend.

In doubt? Ask your self why the Department of Education or HUD needs a SWAT team. Nearly every government agency has their own SWAT team now. Are their times and situations where they could use it, sure. But they don't need their own team. that amounts to tens of thousands of "troops" readily available to be called in to suppress situations the government deems inappropriate.
Obama campaign speech in 2008....."The USA should have a civilian defence force equally as strong as our military"

Old 08-17-2014, 01:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Hmmm.

Then Chicago, D.C., et al don't need their SWAT teams because it's so difficult for a civilian to obtain firearms.
Considering that straw buyers are de facto legal, and anyone (and I do mean ANYONE) can buy any weapon they want at a gun show parking lot, we basically don't have any gun rules. None of the laws on the books are enforced to any great degree. So, pro-gun extremists currently enjoy the armed-to-the-teeth society that they so desperately want.

And until we rein in the crazies at the quarterly gun show in my city, the flood of cheap firearms will continue unabated all over the country -- including those areas with strict gun sale rules. Only an absolute moron would think that Chicago's and D.C.'s crime isn't affected by what happens at Las Vegas or Phoenix gun shows.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:02 PM

788 posts, read 1,248,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinealley View Post
If you are denying the fact that since the 18th century white people have colonized and tried to rule, directly or indirectly, every other "race" of people in the world.
You need some history lessons, or least, do not misinterpret facts. Everyone has tried to dominate others. That has been happening on every continent, with every race. Europe was the most successful and did it most recently. And then I am not mentioning the Japanese invasion of Asia in the 20's, 30's and 40's of 20th century.

Quote:
we're simply tired of it, the killings and demonization of black victims across the states, in particular, but the world as a whole, as well. We tried ya'll way this whole time and we're still getting killed and dehumanized, now it's on our time.
So tell me, what are you doing to curb the gang violence of blacks killing blacks?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM

788 posts, read 1,248,812 times
Quote:
But this is not about Japan or Asia were talking about AMERICA!
No, you were the one to claim that white people since the 18th century wanted to dominate every other race and other peoples. Now I give you an example of a non white group and tell you that all races have done it and tried it, and all of a sudden, you just want to talk about America.

Quote:
Not falling for that troll bait, DM me about that question if you're serious or start a new thread where we can discuss that.
Troll baiting? How come? You claim that you are tired of killings of blacks. It seems to me that if you look at the statistics that the majority of the killings is done by other blacks. If you really are as tired as you say that you are, I would start with addressing the biggest issues.
With regards to this case, we do not yet know all the facts. Hopefully, someday we will.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Considering that straw buyers are de facto legal, and anyone (and I do mean ANYONE) can buy any weapon they want at a gun show parking lot, we basically don't have any gun rules.
They'd be breaking the law, and to break the law you don't need to go gun shows. You acknowledge existing gun laws aren't enforced. Why then are you asking for more laws? In short, what do you want?

Old 08-17-2014, 05:17 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,986,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Considering that straw buyers are de facto legal, and anyone (and I do mean ANYONE) can buy any weapon they want at a gun show parking lot, we basically don't have any gun rules. None of the laws on the books are enforced to any great degree. So, pro-gun extremists currently enjoy the armed-to-the-teeth society that they so desperately want.

And until we rein in the crazies at the quarterly gun show in my city, the flood of cheap firearms will continue unabated all over the country -- including those areas with strict gun sale rules. Only an absolute moron would think that Chicago's and D.C.'s crime isn't affected by what happens at Las Vegas or Phoenix gun shows.

Then why is Chicago and D.C.'s murder rate so much higher than Vegas or Phoenix's?

I mean, wouldn't the epicenter be the worst?

I think that only a moron would blame an inanimate object, the sale of which in a city across the country, they allege to be affecting the social fabric of another city across said country more than it is where it is being originally sold. No, that basically confirms that something else is the problem. Otherwise we would see Vegas as the "epicenter" and DC and Chicago as much lesser troubled areas.

But...no...it's not quite that way, is it? DC and Chicago have some of the most stringent gun control laws in the nation, and yet THEY are epicenters.

So what do we conclude?

It might not be firearm availability that is causing the problem...

Further...Murder has been illegal for quite some time now, if memory serves, and typically holds one of, if not THE MOST severe sentences in all 50 states. So, do you really think that a criminal is going to worry about the legality of their firearm before committing murder with said firearm? What exactly will being sentenced to death or life without parole...TWICE...do to deter someone from something that would "only" get them one such sentence? However, I doubt we will see death/life sentences for firearm possession. So make that more like a few years extra in prison added to that life/death sentence...real game changer...? Not likely.

We have a "people problem", not a "gun problem", as evidenced by the object of this exact thread's main subject.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:20 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
The police were confiscating all of the witnesses to the shooting videos and did lord knows what with them. Everybody there who recorded and didn't all said that he did the same thing. That's why everybody doing the hands up gesture, but you knew that.
He was also a good kid too gentle to play football and not a criminal who robbed stores and assaulted people. Credibility problems and all that. And no, there's two completely contradictory stories from supposed witnesses, not "all said the same thing." But you knew that.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:16 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
Quote:
You misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying that in the modern world was built for white and made for white people, starting with the year 1492, arguably 1482. If you are denying the fact that since the 18th century white people have colonized and tried to rule, directly or indirectly, every other "race" of people in the world. Obviously the reign of "the white man" is coming to an end but this is not emphasis on their race but, instead the black race, because since that aforementioned year black people have been getting the worse end of the stick and now in 2014 we're simply tired of it, the killings and demonization of black victims across the states, in particular, but the world as a whole, as well. We tried ya'll way this whole time and we're still getting killed and dehumanized, now it's on our time.
If you're talking about African-Americans (I assume you are), then unfortunately a large percent of the community don't seem to be doing a very good job of it - much of the killing and dehumanization is black on black.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They'd be breaking the law, and to break the law you don't need to go gun shows. You acknowledge existing gun laws aren't enforced. Why then are you asking for more laws? In short, what do you want?
I want the laws that we have to be enforced. The weak links in the security chain are private sales and gun shows. We cannot claim to have any kind of gun control whatsoever when anyone (and I mean anyone) can buy a gun at a gun show parking lot.

Let's compare illegal (or at least unethical) gun sales to narcotic sales -- drug dealers are willing to risk prison. They're drug dealers, after all. But if we threw the book at the bankers and accountants who launder the money; no more country-club prisons, they go to maximum security to be someone's unwilling spouse -- drug trafficking would abate.

And it's the same with guns -- it's clear that a criminal who wants a firearm is going to get one. But let's throw the book at the straw purchasers and the people who sell guns to felons in gun show parking lots and at least reduce the problem.

There is much that we could do. But we're too busy doing nothing.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:40 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
One poor unsung victim in this whole sorry story is the store owner or store clerk in the shop in which the cigars were taken. Robbery victim. Caught up in the focus of a maelstrom not remotely of his doing and far beyond his control. Looting victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies