Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:41 AM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times

Advertisements

While citizens respond to the police shooting of an unarmed black youth........Police have their own response:

Note: these are police officers, not IDF in Gaza or US soldiers in Afghanistan. This is the police response to protests from citizens. You look at one of these cops sideways and you'll be eating pavement.

Land of the Free......right?

http://www.businessinsider.com/polic...erguson-2014-8

Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
While citizens respond to the police shooting of an unarmed black youth........Police have their own response:

Note: these are police officers, not IDF in Gaza or US soldiers in Afghanistan. This is the police response to protests from citizens. You look at one of these cops sideways and you'll be eating pavement.

Police Militarization In Ferguson - Business Insider
"Land of the free...right?" Well what, should the people just be allowed to run rampant & loot all the stores? No law whatsoever?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Perhaps if black youth were brought up in an environment that taught them how to properly interact with the police instead of "going ghetto" there wouldn't be a problem.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Let's face it - both sides of this equation need to moderate their tactics; the protestors and the military-style response.

Ridiculous.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM

287 posts, read 506,413 times
Two sides to every coin. Nothing is going to get better unless both sides clean up their acts. It's a vicious cycle; people will keep feeling threatened by the police presence, and the police will continue to be validated in needing hardened equipment as long as the protestors and police keep up what they're doing.

My two cents: The violence and looting in Ferguson has nothing to do with justice or furthering a cause, and everything to do with being opportunistic and using a high-tension situation to cause chaos. I don't think that looting local businesses and causing damage to persons and property produces any kind of positive message. On the other hand, the militarization of our nation's police forces is a little unsettling, to say the least. I'm not sure why a Missouri suburb's police force needs military-grade hardware to do its job, nor do I understand why that police force feels that it's okay to ignore freedom of the press.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
If I were a cop, I know I wouldn't go into a riot situation without such gear.

Face mask? Check
Respirator? Check
Protective clothing? Check
Retreat vehicle? Check

If you were a cop, which items would you not want when going into a riot situation?

Old 08-14-2014, 09:23 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:

Police Militarization In Ferguson - Business Insider

Oh, give me that break.

"Citizens responding...?" Protests?? So that's what they're doing when they loot, rob, and smash windows? And it is being reported that "citizens" are driving in from surrounding areas to grab those big-screen TVs. What a way to "protest," and before the facts are all out--pillage and foul your own neighborhoods, then burn down a Korean deli. Nice.

And BTW, like the smart business owners who aren't waiting for the police response (that'd be the armed ones who're, themselves, protecting their property and their lives), DH and have our own way of responding should the need ever arise...because, clearly, you can't rely on the police to do it.

Time to lock and load...

Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 AM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Perhaps if black youth were brought up in an environment that taught them how to properly interact with the police instead of "going ghetto" there wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe if the police were trained on how to interact with the public rather than being so eager to deploy military grade weapons and tactics, peaceful protests would not escalate to rioting.

The last 30 years has seen a 1400 percent increase in police using paramilitary deployments.......are we any safer for it as a nation in general? NO - the only thing that's come as a result is a greater fear of police and rightly so because in that time span it's become common place for cops to shoot unarmed people, break down the wrong doors, shoot animals and execute warrantless searches. Maybe we should send our police forces overseas and let our military patrol the streets here.......there's little difference anymore except that the cops in the picture above are humping more gear than the average soldier in the field.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:27 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
Two sides to every coin. Nothing is going to get better unless both sides clean up their acts. It's a vicious cycle; people will keep feeling threatened by the police presence, and the police will continue to be validated in needing hardened equipment as long as the protestors and police keep up what they're doing.

My two cents: The violence and looting in Ferguson has nothing to do with justice or furthering a cause, and everything to do with being opportunistic and using a high-tension situation to cause chaos. I don't think that looting local businesses and causing damage to persons and property produces any kind of positive message. On the other hand, the militarization of our nation's police forces is a little unsettling, to say the least. I'm not sure why a Missouri suburb's police force needs military-grade hardware to do its job, nor do I understand why that police force feels that it's okay to ignore freedom of the press.
Excellent post. The looters are, as you said, opportunistic fools that have little or nothing to do with the more disturbning issue that happened earlier. It reminds me a lot of the Rodney King looting, where gang members used the racially charged moment to commit crimes. Personally, it was really disgusting watching the looting idiots because their actions served as an effective distraction from the fact that an unarmed youth was subjected to unnecessary lethal force by (obviously nutcase) Ferguson cops.

The actions of the police are very troubling the more facts are brought forward. The arrest of the alderman, the appearance of what appears to be a police state, the arbitrary arrests of journalists...it's obvious the police have clearly lost the control/restraint that a police officer should have as a law enforcement official and have devolved into thugs themselves.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Maybe if the police were trained on how to interact with the public rather than being so eager to deploy THIRD WORLD military grade weapons
Fixed it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies