Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Insightful, but sobering, article from the Washington Post citing a WSJ/NBC poll about how optimism in the country is on the decline. With endless political bickering, an inattentive president, a feckless Congress, and the world on fire, who wouldn't be depressed? If we no longer have confidence, is it all truly lost?

Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The gloom is because of income inequality and wage stagnation. Fix those and our spirits will lift. But with our government in the hands of those who benefit from income inequality and wage stagnation, the hope for improvement in those areas is slim to none.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Americans no longer have confidence in the political and financial systems-and rightfully so as our country has been pillaged by Multi-National Corporations and Global Banks the past few decades-and the theft has intensified the past 5 years with quantitive easing.

We must address the corruption and global collusion before we can move forward.

Obama was supposed to do this, but failed horrifically.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:25 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,489 times
It's probably more due to partisan whining on social media.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
Cue the bot response ^

Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
It's probably more due to partisan whining on social media.
You know what most people think about politics? Not very much if at all.

They just want a job and to know that their children, if they work hard, can make a better life for themselves then you did. Thats what 90% of Americans want and care about.

The fact that parents are seeing their children fail, and fall behind even where the parents were at 25 is killing our optimism.

You may blame that on politics, and surely it has an effect, but in reality we aren't paying people enough in this country, and others we pay to much. Employers are going to have to start adding grease to the economy, and that means pay people more. We also need more people in our country, because with our declining birth rates, there isn't demand for new workers.

We have some major issues coming. If we can fix immigration and increase our rate of population growth to 2.1 or higher, the economy will turn around all on its own

Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Too many people living in echo chambers of their own choosing where the only opinions they hear are those that they already hold and agree with.

If people choose to revel in the negative, of course they won't be optimistic.

How many go on and on about out-of-control crime when in fact there is less crime now than at any other time in our history.
How many teens aren't getting pregnant?
How many are graduating from HS and going on to college?
How many people are buying houses and new cars?

I could find positive reports about all of these things, but, people would make a point of denying that they are true or otherwise find fault.

Being negative has become our national past-time.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
I am totally optimistic!! I know at 50, that I will outlive the current incarnation of our oppressive government. And any instance of not so much a collapse, but a serious contraction of the federal sphere of influence will immediately put my area off the map. If out neighbors all get together tomorrow, I think we have enough to make our own little self contained, self sufficient community.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I am totally optimistic!! I know at 50, that I will outlive the current incarnation of our oppressive government. And any instance of not so much a collapse, but a serious contraction of the federal sphere of influence will immediately put my area off the map. If out neighbors all get together tomorrow, I think we have enough to make our own little self contained, self sufficient community.
I'm in my mid-twenties, and I know I won't outlive any such thing. The drive towards that unique confluence of repressive malice and idiocratic full-retard status will continue, unabated.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Those that have will continue to get more until there is nothing left to steal even from each other. then the system collapse and the have nots get a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies