Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

William Bennett and Robert White: Legal Pot Is a Public Health Menace - WSJ

I am not a real fan of Bill Bennett. He initiated the 'assault weapon' ban idiocy as drug czar under HW Bush in 1989. He was federal Education Sec'y, Drug Czar, and Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Kind of the equivalent of a lib who had a career as head of the NRA, Christian Coalition, and Taxpayers Against Government Waste.

Nonetheless a blind squirrel comes up with a nut (squirrels use their noses more than their eyes anyway). Bennett makes an excellent point about the left's anti-science stance when it comes to Mary Jane:

Quote:
Over the past 10 years, study after study has shown the damaging effect of marijuana on the teenage brain. Northwestern School of Medicine researchers reported in the Schizophrenia Bulletin in December that teens who smoked marijuana daily for about three years showed abnormal brain-structure changes. Marijuana use has clearly been linked to teen psychosis as well as decreases in IQ and permanent brain damage.
The use of MJ has always been in essence a religious ritual and right of passage for the American left, linked to Gaia-worship. As someone who was a pot-smoker and persuaded liberal in my teen years, I know whereof I speak.

Gaia Plant-Based Medicine | Hand-Crafted Recreational and Medicinal Cannabis

Why does the left reject science and embrace religion????:confuse d:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
It's no wonder why so many marijuana legalization proponents from the left as well as the right believe sales of it should be limited to people aged 21 and over. Hopefully, legalization can work to make marijuana less available to teens, due to them being asked to show ID before trying to buy.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
William Bennett and Robert White: Legal Pot Is a Public Health Menace - WSJ

I am not a real fan of Bill Bennett. He initiated the 'assault weapon' ban idiocy as drug czar under HW Bush in 1989. He was federal Education Sec'y, Drug Czar, and Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Kind of the equivalent of a lib who had a career as head of the NRA, Christian Coalition, and Taxpayers Against Government Waste.

Nonetheless a blind squirrel comes up with a nut (squirrels use their noses more than their eyes anyway). Bennett makes an excellent point about the left's anti-science stance when it comes to Mary Jane:

The use of MJ has always been in essence a religious ritual and right of passage for the American left, linked to Gaia-worship. As someone who was a pot-smoker and persuaded liberal in my teen years, I know whereof I speak.

Gaia Plant-Based Medicine | Hand-Crafted Recreational and Medicinal Cannabis

Why does the left reject science and embrace religion????:confuse d:
When were people saying that teens should smoke MJ heavily?? I'm pretty sure the legal age, where it's legal, is 21.

Also, the schizophrenic link does exist, but MJ isn't the cause of schizophrenia, rather the onset initially occurs 2 yrs earlier than it otherwise would. Now there was a study that showed brain abnormalities, but the abnormalities only occurred in teens that smoked heavily. 25 yr olds showed no long term irreversible damage. Plus, alcohol has already been shown to be worse for the teenage brain than MJ.

Quote:
Over the past 10 years, study after study has shown the damaging effect of marijuana on the teenage brain. Northwestern School of Medicine researchers reported in the Schizophrenia Bulletin in December that teens who smoked marijuana daily for about three years showed abnormal brain-structure changes. Marijuana use has clearly been linked to teen psychosis as well as decreases in IQ and permanent brain damage.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:45 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
Based on what I read here from the cd leftists, the science Bennett refers to seems to support these concerns.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Bennett still thinks he's a drug warrior.

He needs to shut up and go smoke a bowl...And stop ruining people's high.

He and his anti drug ilk are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:01 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Wow, saying "leftists" ignore the science by posting scientifically debunked studies.

There's an ironic doublethink about that I don't think the OP will get.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:01 PM

37,168 posts, read 19,174,827 times
The whole idea behind legalization and controlling sales is to take it off the streets and out of the hands of dealers, which is where kids buy it. When you make it legal for adults to buy it, you remove the incentive for dealers to sell it. Teens do not account for the majority of sales. Most of the stuff goes to 20- and 30-somethings with jobs who can afford to buy it occasionally. I smoked for 17 years and probably sold a couple of hundred pounds in that time frame to keep me supplied free. Alcohol was much harder for a teen to get his hands on than a bag of hooch.

If sold though outlets like liquor is, a teen will have to find someone older to buy it and give it to him.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:07 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
People who would listen to Bill Bennet are roughly the same age as this guy, and really, their audience is shrinking by the day. But there will always be the 'Reefer Madness' crowd hanging on, and the rest of us just need to tolerate them until they are no more.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Actually there is little science other than proponents wanting in legalized.Asto commercial available those etst done on it vary as to makeup.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,636,184 times
When I was in high school it was much easier for me to get cannabis then it was for me to get alcohol. It is still the same today.

Prohibitionists that scream "think about the children!" conveniently ignore the fact that no one is trying legalize it for people under 21.

At the same time, they stupidly believe that keeping it illegal makes it harder for children to obtain, when the opposite is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies