Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:47 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Not at all. I grew up Catholic. Except for Christmas and Easter, the only people that go to church where I live are 80 year old Italian immigrants. Priests raping young boys really turned people off. Had the Church allowed priests to marry, and allowed women to be priests, I doubt they would have attracted only pedophiles to be priests, and people wouldn't be so disgusted.
The church was way too Liberal when dealing with bad priests in it's ranks. They were willing to accept them just so they did not get caught. That is the failure of Liberalism and the Liberals in the church then and now just brush over this as "no big deal". Had there been very strong Conservatives running the Church then the problem would have not been as wide spread.

I think one of the main differences between the Liberals and Conservatives is the Liberals idea that a big powerful government is always right...i.e. the Pope, Vatican, and local, state and Federal government. We see it now in our country. The Conservatives feel the power belongs to the people, i.e. American exceptionalism...the idea of priests getting married is a good one..women priests too...but the Pope and Vatican see that as a threat to their power...not unlike we see the government's various failed social programs in this country....Conservatives embrace change that works..i.e. Capitalism ..and reject "social justice", i.e. big government...as a way to uplift people in society and especially the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 05:54 AM

39,203 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Well, I grew up Catholic, I have a relationship with Jesus Christ.

To me, God became a human being in the Person of Jesus Christ to take on our sin, be killed, and then be raised to life again, proving His victory over sin and death. “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). If we accept this gift, we have become acceptable to God and can have a relationship with Him.

I don't go to church on a regular basis. But, Most of the religious people I know are kind and wonderful people, and while there’s much we don’t agree on, there is often common ground if you attempt to see things from their perspective. I’ve found the religious people I know to be mostly interested in being nice to others, and I have no problem with that.

I think opinions can be mocked, but mocking religion is quite unkind. I need Jesus Christ in my life, but I don't think I really need organized religion. I am still in my 20s and I do believe that religion is constantly evolving.

It (evolving) is not necessarily a bad thing. For example, overwhelming majority of young people my age are pro gay marriage. Constantly telling us gay marriage is deviant and is against God is just no longer appealing to us. No matter how hard the extremely conservative folks try to justify bigotry by using religion, it just is not going to work anymore. Sorry.

Religion-based bigotry causes enormous harm to LGBT people, especially young, vulnerable teens. Jesus is pretty much okay with everybody else. The only group that constantly angered and saddened him is the self-righteous religious people.

Christians who act as if they are better than everyone else are certainly not living by the creeds of Christianity, and may not even be Christians at all. Christianity says that all people are sinners, and none can be righteous on the basis of their own behavior. Jesus said that we should not act like we are better than others just to get noticed. Such a "holier-than-thou" attitude is strongly condemned in the Bible. When Christians tell others that their behavior does not meet God's standards, it is not to try to be superior, but rather to warn them of the peril to their soul in light of their actions.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:39 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The left has no need nor interest in destroying churches. They are becoming obsolete all by themselves as the world leaves the mindset of the Dark Ages and becomes more educated. You are free to continue to worship your gods as you like. The truth is, progressives don't care about your churches one way or the other, and it's that growing apathy across all denominations that really has fundies all pissy. Less and less people buy into the fairy tales they're selling. They are losing their grip on the population at large. Can't happen fast enough.

In the meantime, this progressive could not possibly care less about your church.
You came to the conclusion I am religious...how?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Corruption of the tenets of basic human decency, of all forms, is an essential ingredient of the egoistic avarice and callous disregard for others that is the hallmark of right-wing perspective. This is the clear and unequivocal consequence of the so-called "Me" generation growing up and insisting their abject selfishness is an entitlement, while claiming that the people they don't care about are not even entitled to basic human decency.
Left-wing hate and arrogant determination to control everyone around them is the defining characteristic of liberals. Combined with their complete ignorance of all matters of morality, decency, and respect for the individual, they are a toxic scourge, destroying the societies they gain influence over.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
When its the liberal churches(Episcopal, Presbyterian, United Church of Christ) that are declining the most rapidly and Pentecostal churches and LDS are growing by leaps and bounds? Non-denominational churches are also growing really fast and these mostly lean conservative. Maybe our churches don't need to become more liberal- maybe they should become more conservative.

Here is an interesting blog that I definitely agreed with.

The Real Reason Liberal Churches Are Losing Members

Also this:

Evangelical Churches Still Growing, Mainline Protestantism In Decline

Evangelical Churches Still Growing, Mainline Protestantism In Decline
As a political issue, I don't think liberals care whether churches die off.

I don't think if you look at liberal think tanks, the Liberal caucus in Congress, liberal writers, etc that you'll hear this discussion at all.

It's just not an issue as far as I can tell for liberals one way or the other.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:46 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times
To me the reason's obvious. If you're a liberal church, then you're inclined to believe that nonchurchgoers can go to heaven. Since churchgoing is optional, it's pretty much human nature that many of them would just opt out!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
To me the reason's obvious. If you're a liberal church, then you're inclined to believe that nonchurchgoers can go to heaven. Since churchgoing is optional, it's pretty much human nature that many of them would just opt out!
Everybody is going back to the place they came from. Doesn't matter if you go on foot, in a Cadillac, or by freight train, or whether you just sit and wait on it to come to you. The alternative is that you simply fall asleep.

If you know anything different than that and have some type of scientific proof or empirical evidence, sing out.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:36 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Speaking as a Catholic I see the decline in our church is being caused by the Catholic Church becoming more Liberal over the last 50 years.
Yes, this...and condoned pedophilia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies