Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post

Is it just the polls that are rigged, or were the certified vote counts in Maryland and Maine phony too?
No, there were actually enough voters there to pass it at that time. No where else however.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:18 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
This is the right-wing equivalent of the woman who wondered how Nixon won in 1972 when "nobody I know voted for him!".
Hmm. I heard that one told the other way around when Reagan won.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:19 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
So, let them get married, and be miserable like the rest of us, LOL!
"That's why they're called 'gay'...nobody takes half their sh*t in the divorce."

Carlos Mencia

Old 08-15-2014, 07:25 AM

8,056 posts, read 12,774,958 times
I do not support nor do I oppose "gay marriage". I see it as a 14th amendment issue- Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

If two individuals wish to enter into a marriage contract they should not be denied the right due to their gender. Marriage is nothing more than a legal contract. If you have religious objections to to same sex people entering into a legal contract see the first amendment.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

If two individuals wish to enter into a marriage contract they should not be denied the right due to their gender. Marriage is nothing more than a legal contract. If you have religious objections to to same sex people entering into a legal contract see the first amendment.
Exactly. People confuse Marriage and Weddings. Weddings are performed by churches. Marriages are sanctioned by the state.

We are not governed by church, thankfully. Churches should have little bearing on public policy.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No, there were actually enough voters there to pass it at that time. No where else however.
And why would those states be so wildly different than any of the other blue states?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The "pro 'gay marriage' crowd like to claim that Americans are coming around to accept homosexuality and gay "marriage" in the 21st Century (which seems to have for them some almost magical meaning).

But is this really true?
"There are currently nineteen states that have legalized same-sex marriage, of those nineteen just three have done so as a result of the popular vote of the people (Maine, 2012; Maryland, 2013; Washington, 2012.) On this topic at least, the desire of the voting public is secondary to the desire of the judicial ruling class. And it is a very small class indeed. Our nation’s direction as it relates to gay-marriage is being determined not by the tabulation of hundreds of thousands if not millions of votes per state. No, it is being determined by men like Richard Young."

"Mr. Young is a U.S. District Court Judge in Indiana who struck down the state’s constitutional definition of marriage (as voted upon by the majority if residents of the state) as being between one man and one woman."

Articles: Gay Marriage -- the Chicken or the Egg?
Contentious issues like this need to go thru the public square, so to speak.

The people need to decide this issue, to embrace gay marriage as a community, instead of having it imposed upon them by a few black robed judges? The gay community keeps telling us how much overwhelming support there is for gay marriage, so why can't the courts stay out of it and let this societal transformation evolve naturally on its own?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Because it's an immoral union and an abomination to God.
Live your life as you believe is just. But let others live as they believe is just, subject to the constitutional laws of the United States.

The Constitution has no language concerning marriage. But it does have language guaranteeing equal rights and the right to pursue happiness.

You want your own version of Sharia law.

On the topic of this thread, I believe American opinion on gay marriage is evolving quickly. A lot of people opposed in the past, have moved to "don't care" and they are wrestling with whether it makes sense to oppose gay marriage. Some conservatives with a libertarian outlook see no reason for the government, especially the federal government, to have a role in marriage at all.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Live your life as you believe is just. But let others live as they believe is just, subject to the constitutional laws of the United States.

The Constitution has no language concerning marriage. But it does have language guaranteeing equal rights and the right to pursue happiness.

You want your own version of Sharia law.

On the topic of this thread, I believe American opinion on gay marriage is evolving quickly. A lot of people opposed in the past, have moved to "don't care" and they are wrestling with whether it makes sense to oppose gay marriage. Some conservatives with a libertarian outlook see no reason for the government, especially the federal government, to have a role in marriage at all.
^^^^ This!

I was born in the 80s. and I am still in my 20s. Yes, I am a conservative with a libertarian outlook. I am all for gay marriage and equal gay right. These people pay tax just like everybody else does, they are entitled to equal rights.

Should we treat them BETTER simply because they are gays and lesbians? No of course not.
Should we treat them with human decency, respect and give them the equal right? Of course we should.

bolded is so true.

Reminds me of these people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yES1izpdf0

Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
I'm pretty sure people who are extremely one way or the other are a minority. Most liberals I know simply say they don't see why it should be a big issue, and most conservatives I know tend to view marriage as none of their business anyway. I'd say most are fairly indifferent or only a little in favor or against. I wouldn't say there a majority that is overwhelmingly anything. Maybe I'm wrong though; that's just from my observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies