Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 06:50 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Appeal to tradition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sorry, but you've got to find a better reason to deny equality to a segment of the population.
Well you have to draw the line somewhere or else society gets out of control. I personally don't have a problem same-sex marriage however you can't let everyone in any scenario get married meaning, "brother-sister" marriages, "human-animal marriages", etc.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well you have to draw the line somewhere or else society gets out of control. I personally don't have a problem same-sex marriage however you can't let everyone in any scenario get married meaning, "brother-sister" marriages, "human-animal marriages", etc.
And no one is seriously suggesting those other kinds of marriage. They are only mentioned as a reason to not allow same-sex marriage. IMO, this argument only reveals the weakness of the case against SSM.

That said, if a substantial portion of voters 50 years from now feel that one or more of your examples is OK - there won't be a thing you or I can do about it! (for one thing, I at least will be dead...)

Old 08-15-2014, 08:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Because it's an immoral union and an abomination to God.
What if many people don't believe in your kind of God?

So very many acts are immoral to God. For instance, adultery. Unlike homosexuality, hardly nobody makes a big deal out of adultery except for the spouse and the in-laws. So I never see you complaining about people cheating on their mates and how it's wrong and immoral.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
The gay legal and political blitzkrieg has just about run it's course. Pushback has begun. Most Americans don't really care much about their questionable "cause" in the face of really important issues confronting our nation. They are no longer the cause celebre of the liberal trendoids.
And you actually expect more and more people to get preoccupied with being against homosexuality, like you are.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Contentious issues like this need to go thru the public square, so to speak.

The people need to decide this issue, to embrace gay marriage as a community, instead of having it imposed upon them by a few black robed judges? The gay community keeps telling us how much overwhelming support there is for gay marriage, so why can't the courts stay out of it and let this societal transformation evolve naturally on its own?
To listen you, it would still be against the law for blacks to marry whites.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:31 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
marriage should have been a religious thing without government intervention of anything including any subsidies.
but government had to get involved somehow and now gays are complaining.

marriage in reality is in fact religious after all.

government just chose to make it part of government then they gave all these subsidies to the married couple and now gays want them too.

You see. if gov got out of the way from the start and let them be people can marry or associate with whomever they wish, just no tax breaks no one would even complain.

the gays would have to complain to their local minister not the government
but now they are complaining about legalization of it.

WHO THE HELL CARES?

gays are making too much noise and frankly most just don't care except gays and religious folk.

perhaps instead of regulation of marriage at all
government should step aside take away all perks and let religion deal with it

if religious people still want to have a say in what marriage is that is
take away all perks and see if the gays are continuing to badger the government to make it legal or illegal.

at that point government cannot do anything.

but married people tax breaks
may as well give it to everyone then instead of targeting specific groups for tax breaks.

I think that is what their true goal is as they want just the tax perks.
gays+ lesbians moral argument is really directed to the religious people then and not to the nation.

most other people just don't care.
Keep deluding yourself. Religion does not rule our country, we are not a theocracy.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
But I do.
So what, you believe. It means nothing under law governing all of us. Your god is just that.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, let's run the numbers on your survey, then.
Population size of - say, 250 million.
Sample size of - one?
Gives us a margin of error equal to, carry the one - 98%.
I don't want to be associated with promoting deviancy.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
To listen you, it would still be against the law for blacks to marry whites.
That racial ban is a lot more recent compared to the thousand of years that marriage has existed. Not to mention people in the ancient world didn't see race like we do today. The concept of racial identity is more recent in human history.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
For the same reason I am against any other immoral act. I am not concerned that opposing pedophilia will turn me into a pedophile, or that being opposed to drunkenness will cause me to be a drunk. I am opposed to those things because they are wrong as declared by the God of the Bible who is the one who makes the rules; the God that says homosexual acts are an abomination. That's why I care. It's wrong.
Your god does not rule me or anyone, it is just a figure head created by man. It is not real, so now can it rule or make law, it cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.