Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
So what?? The courts rightly recognized a flimsy excuse and invalidated the "indoctrination disguised as education"; that is how the system is supposed to work.

Speaking strictly for myself, I just wish the same rule applied when some NEA robot starts prattling to impressionable youngsters about "global warming" -- or similar tommyrot.
Absolutely!

Old 08-16-2014, 12:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My son and I changed BSA troops recently. The last troop was chocked full of homeschool kids. You know what happened? Fights, disrespectful to adults- a huge host of issues I've not ever witnessed in a scout troop. I had more parents complaining about every little thing than I have ever seen. One kid was not ready to advance in rank (which was decided by three adults in a board of review) and you would've thought we physically abused the kid- the parents came unglued and DEMANDED that we advance him..

A year later? The kid threatens another boy with a knife..

All home schooled.

So I'm not sure what your point is but I have first hand experience with how homeschooling DOES NOT prepare kids for life too. Not just one example- at least 10!

Our new troop- No homeschoolers. Guess what? No problems.

Go figure.
That public school can be just as detrimental as homeschool.
Your example is your experience.

Neither should be taken as how the entire system works though.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I just saw a kid go through 12 years of public school and not be able to read a single sentence.
That was my first.

How did he do it you might ask....

IEP..everything is read to him and he gives verbal answers.
And he got his HS diploma this past June.
School patted themselves on the back for graduating another fine student and sent them out into the world.
And no, he was not SPED.

How well do you think this student is going to do ?
They don't even teach handwriting (cursive) in the public school anymore! These kids don't learn to write! How can they sign their name? How will they fill out a job application?

When we home schooled our girls, we taught all the basic subjects, including handwriting. We used Bob Jones University materials and books. Regardless of what you may think of Bob Jones U. (a Christian school), their text books for home schooling are known to be some of the best available, if not the best.

And guess what another benefit of home schooling is? Self motivation! Our girls were so self motivated, they dived in on their own, and needed very little additional help or instruction. And, when my youngest took the College Board exam, she passed on the first try with very high scores! Many public school kids have to take it two or more times before they pass.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:11 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Ex-student calls teacher over alleged sex abuse - CNN.com
Oh wait this had nothing to do with homeschooling or Christ... and a zilion more.. One could say public education is a very scary thing to throw your child into
We're very satisfied with the education our kids are receiving in public schools. It's not without issues, but they both are doing very well, in great advanced classes and are poised to get into college easily. They have extremely qualified and good natured teachers who are also very active in the community. My son is on the robotics team that competes nationally and is going to be on the math team this year. My daughter is also excelling in the STEM's and will be entering HS next year.

Maybe we're the lucky ones, but you know what? My wife and are educated and we make education the #1 priority in their lives ABOVE ALL ELSE. We also work with them and, *gasp*, eat together and discuss pretty heady topics around the supper table.

Public education has a lot to offer, but the magic here is to teach your kids and encourage them to leverage those resources. A lot of parents don't, or don't really care about it. That flows down to your children- that's the crime.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
They don't even teach handwriting (cursive) in the public school anymore! These kids don't learn to write! How can they sign their name? How will they fill out a job application?
Everything is done on computer now and most places take resumes. I don't even think you can fill out applications by hand.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Everything is done on computer now and most places take resumes. I don't even think you can fill out applications by hand.
That doesn't matter. A person has to know how to write, for God's sake!

Old 08-16-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:

When we home schooled our girls, we taught all the basic subjects, including handwriting. We used Bob Jones University materials and books. Regardless of what you may think of Bob Jones U. (a Christian school), their text books for home schooling are known to be some of the best available, if not the best.

And guess what another benefit of home schooling is? Self motivation! Our girls were so self motivated, they dived in on their own, and needed very little additional help or instruction. And, when my youngest took the College Board exam, she passed on the first try with very high scores! Many public school kids have to take it two or more times before they pass.
I had to teach my son how to sign his name so he could sign legal documents.
That's about the only cursive he knows.

The mail lady told me to stop writing my envelopes in cursive because the young clerks cannot read the envelopes and leave them in a pile until older workers can come and read them and sort them.

We were told at school to write our notes that we hand to students in block print because too many times notes in cursive were handed to students and they couldn't read them.

Another thing is kids cannot tell time on analog clocks.

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
You can rote memorize your signature. You don't have to spend time writing in cursive, when nobody does anymore these days.

There is no requirement to write out a job application in cursive. I write in block letters to ensure easy readability.

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
That doesn't matter. A person has to know how to write, for God's sake!
That doesn't mean cursive though.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We're very satisfied with the education our kids are receiving in public schools. It's not without issues, but they both are doing very well, in great advanced classes and are poised to get into college easily. They have extremely qualified and good natured teachers who are also very active in the community. My son is on the robotics team that competes nationally and is going to be on the math team this year. My daughter is also excelling in the STEM's and will be entering HS next year.

Maybe we're the lucky ones, but you know what? My wife and are educated and we make education the #1 priority in their lives ABOVE ALL ELSE. We also work with them and, *gasp*, eat together and discuss pretty heady topics around the supper table.

Public education has a lot to offer, but the magic here is to teach your kids and encourage them to leverage those resources. A lot of parents don't, or don't really care about it. That flows down to your children- that's the crime.
Public School is all LOCAL.
People with kids buy homes based on the school.
You have excellent public schools and you have some real crappy public schools.
Go to any of the city sub forums and you'll see that a school rating is the top priority for families relocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies