Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 01:18 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times

Advertisements

Actually, there is oversight. There are laws in each state which regulate home schooling. For example, you are likely not aware that public schools may provide the school curriculum to parents to teach to their children at home, and monitor the progress of that child. Records have to be maintained and reported. Here, for example, is a random state's laws regarding homeschooling. I picked a blue state for your benefit.

Home School Law | CDE

I agree, there are a lot of nuts out there who should not be homeschooling their children. There are a lot of nuts who are indoctrinating their children in all sorts of negative ways at home and then sending them to school where the children at least have some sort of reprieve and positive input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am against home schooling because there is not adequate oversight and too many kids receive an inadequate education as a result. Home schooling is often a vehicle to indoctrinate and deprive children.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
I applaud home-schooling when it's like the schooling one family I read about was using. They went on an extensive sailing trip,and along the way taught the kids about biology, marine life, used math in order to decide coordinates, learned the history of places they visited, had them read Conrad---integrated the learning into a real-life fun environment. I thought that was cool.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"too many kids receive an inadequate education as a result. Home schooling" prove it.

I posted results that counter you "opinion" as have others.

Where are YOUR stats.

If you believe that public schools DON'T indoctrinate, you are fooling yourself.

Unless, of course, you AGREE with the type of indoctrination the engage in.
There are tons of examples!

Quote:
Melinda Palmer, 29, is another home-school graduate who is forthcoming about the problems she encountered as a home-schooled child. She had no experience of public education, and quickly came to fear it. Her father cast the local school as a corrupt example of the dangerous world outside the home. The family’s isolationism created an environment in which everyone was so terrified of the outside they saw no choice but to submit to her father’s abusive rule for many years. She says they had come to believe that the tyranny of their father was preferable to what might await them on the outside.
Quote:
Though she says all of the children in her family are literate, she tells me that, in math, she never made it past the start of pre-algebra, and that she has not yet obtained her GED.
Home-schooled and illiterate - Salon.com

Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Actually, there is oversight. There are laws in each state which regulate home schooling. For example, you are likely not aware that public schools may provide the school curriculum to parents to teach to their children at home, and monitor the progress of that child. Records have to be maintained and reported. Here, for example, is a random state's laws regarding homeschooling. I picked a blue state for your benefit.

Home School Law | CDE

I agree, there are a lot of nuts out there who should not be homeschooling their children. There are a lot of nuts who are indoctrinating their children in all sorts of negative ways at home and then sending them to school where the children at least have some sort of reprieve and positive input.
Not really.

Quote:
The article raises the question of what requirements must be in place when it comes to home-schooling. In Virginia, where this story takes place, there is no oversight whatsoever. If parents claim a religious exemption from public education, the state government doesn’t do anything to check in on them and make sure they’re doing a decent job.
Quote:
[Son] Josh Powell wanted to go to school so badly that he pleaded with local officials to let him enroll. He didn’t know exactly what students were learning at Buckingham County High School, in rural central Virginia, but he had the sense that he was missing something fundamental.
By the time he was 16, he had never written an essay. He didn’t know South Africa was a country. He couldn’t solve basic algebra problems.
When Home-Schooling Goes Horribly Wrong…

Old 08-16-2014, 01:36 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Weird for sure, but why are you concerned about what people do in their own homes?
Because the state is supposed to help look out for the welfare of children in their jurisdiction and if the children are not given any meaningful education then that doesn't serve the children's best interests. That this has to be explained to you is astounding.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
But Tracy said that he never saw the children reading books, using computers or doing arithmetic. Instead, the children were seen playing instruments and singing.
Sounds like any public school these days.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:59 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Maybe in your neck of the woods but not around here.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
I am against home schooling because there is not adequate oversight and too many kids receive an inadequate education as a result. Home schooling is often a vehicle to indoctrinate and deprive children.
Like I said..the same can be said for public schooling. And this is worse because nothing is done.

No books, no clue at city’s worst school | New York Post
Students at PS 106 in Far Rockaway, Queens, have gotten no math or reading and writing books for the rigorous Common Core curriculum, whistleblowers say.
The 234 kids get no gym or art classes. Instead, they watch movies every day.
“The kids have seen more movies than Siskel and Ebert,” a source said.
But five months into the school year, PS 106 classes still don’t have the books or teacher’s guides.
“They have no reading program, no math program,” a source said, adding Sills blames outside administrators for not sending materials.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Heck, Dexter Manning, a former professional football player "graduated " from college then late admitted that he COULDN'T read.
A lot of people can't "read." Oh, they can read the words alright. But they have no ability to understand the written word; i.e., understand what is written.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:29 PM

5,334 posts, read 4,423,566 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, Patheos is not the authority on home schooling, anywhere. In this case they are just flat out wrong. Well, I could be wrong. Come to think of it I must be, Patheos says so. Damn it's going to really suck returning all of the monies received via stipend as a liaison between home schooling families and our local school district. I did a lot of work all those years making sure home schoolers complied with our local district and Commonwealth of Virginia statutes.

It would be wise for anyone interested in home schooling to search the database of their state's DOE. There is much information available to anyone that chooses to search for it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-16-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies