Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 05:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
One can learn more than just the three Rs in school. For example: socialization skills, other viewpoints, tolerance, structure, etc...... Unless a home schooler plans to work out of the home as an adult, they will be ill prepared for a career or life in general.
the notion that children need to learn the habits of other children is absurd.

Children need to grow up in the company of adults, not reinforce the immaturity by learning it from other children.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
the notion that children need to learn the habits of other children is absurd.

Children need to grow up in the company of adults, not reinforce the immaturity by learning it from other children.
I disagree. If you want to produce a sociopath, deny children the ability to socialize with other children of their age.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:51 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
I'd like to start off by adding that I concur with the reasons in favor of teaching cursive that are cited in the education forum, but I think the ability to read cursive is the most important component of that teaching; without being able to read cursive one cannot decipher most historical primary sources, including the writing of one's own ancestors! Secondly, in the rare case that a person receives an extremely poor education, which is rarer in homeschooling than any other system, the defects can be rectified later when the person enters the real world as an adult; poor education is a great handicap, but one learns over a lifetime, not just before adulthood. President Andrew Johnson was by all accounts not ignorant, yet he was 17 when he was taught reading and basic math. Risk is inherent in education systems and in every human activity, but if we minimize the risk relative to the benefits and develop methods of reversing the negative outcomes that remain, we can attain the best way of life we are capable of attaining.

The real problem in the case the OP cites is stupidity, which afflicts all of America and the world, but afflicts homeschools less than public schools. A third of fourth graders in public schools score below basic in reading, yet public schools' existence is hardly ever implicated. Imagine how different the reaction would be if fourth grade homeschoolers were receiving those kind of results, and then ask yourself why we subject public schools to far less scrutiny.

Quote:
This is but one reason why I am against homeschooling.

Parents allegedly stopped homeschooling their kids because they believed Jesus Christ was returning to Earth .
You do realize that they are only one out of very few homeschooling families who have ever done anything like this. Heck, there are almost certainly vastly more sexual predators among school teachers than there are homeschoolers who stop education because of the rapture being imminent, yet we don't see C-D users starting threads citing the former as "but one reason I'm against public schooling being an option".

You should also be aware that only 16 percent of homeschooling parents cite a desire for religious instruction as the most important reason they homeschool, fewer than the plurality of 25 percent who cite "a concern about the environment of other schools", the 21 percent who cite "other reasons", and the 19 percent who cite "a dissatisfaction with academic instruction at other schools".
Source: Page 18 of the 2012 National Household Education Surveys.

By the way, there is a convincing array of evidence that homeschooled kids are better socialized, graduate from college at higher rates, and are more successful gaining jobs and staying off welfare than public school kids, but don't let that get in the way of your fantasy that sitting quietly with only people of your own age listening to a teacher in an institutional environment for most of one's life is better "socialization" than having a variety of interactions with all kinds of people of all ages at all times of day in the real world. Research has resoundingly demonstrated that not a single one of the OP's arguments against homeschooling has a shred of truth, so what it amounts to is baseless propaganda. The amusing part is that it's not fooling anybody, except perhaps the OP.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:00 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, there is oversight, and here in Ohio, home schooled kids are required to take the Iowa Achievement Test every year (public schools only administered the test every two years).
I live in Ohio and homeschool my 2 of 3 children for the last 4yrs. We are NOT required to take the IAT every year.

If you read the Ohio HS law it says very clearly:

https://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Ohio.pdf

Standardized Tests: Parents who homeschool have three options for assessment. Ohio Admin. Code §
3301-34-04. At the time of notification, the family must send to their school district one of the three
items listed below:
1: A child’s test scores. If a child is tested, the child must have a composite score at least at the
25th percentile on a nationally normed standardized achievement test administered by either (a)
an Ohio licensed or certified teacher.
2:A “written narrative indicating that a portfolio of samples of the child’s work has been reviewed
and that the child’s academic progress for the year is in accordance with the child’s abilities.”
3:An alternative assessment mutually agreed upon by the parents and the superintendent.

and every summer/fall you send in ONE of these options with your homeschool intent.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:02 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Could be that those boys got pulled out of public education specifically because of their not so well social skills.
Even in public school there's only so far one can go before the police and legal system get involved which can involve removement from the home.
Nope. The father of 2 of the boys in the troop is a public high school teacher. He kept them out because of religious grounds. The other parents that homeschool here feel that public schools don't 'do enough' educationally. The behavioral disorder kids mostly go to public schools for a variety of reasons. Home school choices here are generally morality based, or, based on the premise that public schools generally are cesspools, which they are indeed not.

Like I stated earlier- public education is not without warts, but my God- where is my son going to get hands on robotic engineering skills? Not in a home environment.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I disagree. If you want to produce a sociopath, deny children the ability to socialize with other children of their age.
That might explain the issues I've seen.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Nope. The father of 2 of the boys in the troop is a public high school teacher. He kept them out because of religious grounds. The other parents that homeschool here feel that public schools don't 'do enough' educationally. The behavioral disorder kids mostly go to public schools for a variety of reasons. Home school choices here are generally morality based, or, based on the premise that public schools generally are cesspools, which they are indeed not.

Like I stated earlier- public education is not without warts, but my God- where is my son going to get hands on robotic engineering skills? Not in a home environment.
Carnegie Mellon doesn't shun homeschool.
And I'd wager the homeschooler won't steal or break the parts like what happens in K-12 schools.
Yeah..we had a mindstorms kit that ended up useless and broken by Christmas vacation.

Robotics Engineering Volume I - Introduction to Mobile Robotics Home School Edition preview page

Old 08-16-2014, 06:16 PM

He works with engineering students from MSU, not on-line or distant learning. Massive difference.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
He works with engineering students from MSU, not on-line or distant learning. Massive difference.
Obviously you didn't click the link and just assumed it was online learning.

No, it's lesson plans for homeschooler parents that have the mindstorms kits.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:46 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Theres a fine line between indoctrination, and education, and you are confusing the two.

It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned. The odds are you dont actually invite them to critically examine the religious beliefs you impart on them. Yes yes, I know you answer questions, but do you ever invite competing beliefs in a positive way?

The answer is...probably not. And heres the thing, we allow parents to indoctrinate their children in their beliefs. "progressive ideas" as you say-children are welcome to question and critically examine them. Thats the point of a decent school! And Parents can help as well.

Hey did you know, my school taught me that glass is a liquid? I questioned that, and was able to correct my teacher. He looked it up and the next day backed me up. Thats education. If I said it wasn't a liquid, and the teacher told me to sit down and not question what I was told-thats indoctrination.

Your fear is that apparently you think the schools might indoctrinate them before you do. Either side doing it is wrong. You talk about teaching lies about our founders...like what?
Since when is it a public school's role to 'question or critically examine' a student's religious beliefs ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies