Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 08:23 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
More to be learned for sure:

“In my capacity as the forensic examiner for the New York State Police, I would say, ‘You’re not supposed to shoot so many times,’ ” said Dr. Baden, who retired from the state police in 2011. “Right now there is too little information to forensically reconstruct the shooting.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us...e-package&_r=0

Great, Dr Baden is a pathologist, not a police officer, not a firearms instructor. What he's doing there is known as "firing out of your lane." He has no clue as to what is excessive because its not his job to do so. This is where experts in other fields interject their opinions into things they aren't well versed on.

Ideally police want to stop a threat in as few shots as possible. If you can stop them with one, great, if you need more though, you keep firing until the threat is stopped. Not sure what reality some folks are living in.

"Well, I fired two rounds and he's still coming so I'm just going to stop and hope he doesn't kill me. Hope someone lets my wife know what hospital to find me in."

Excessive doesn't exist if the threat is still there. Excessive is if the threat has stopped, if you've shot someone, they are down, they are surrendering, their hands are up, and you keep firing. That is excessive and if that is what the officer did, he deserves to get charged and he deserves to go cool his heels in prison. But realistically we don't know what happened and will need to wait for further evidence to have any chance at determining that.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:23 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Easy. Check the timestamp on that testimony. It was given after the autopsy results. So she's fitting the testimony to the autopsy. Very transparently ("grazed" indeed).
So the 1st time she just made the WHOLE THING UP??

Not buying it.

What's her motive for just telling a lie to reporters? Did she go and talk to all of the other witnesses too right before they were interviewed??

What about the interview Brittany Noble did RIGHT after the incident where she interviewed the woman off camera??

That witness said the exact same thing.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

Once again, your opinion.

Only time will tell but if Brown did charge the officer, he would have acted appropriately in those circumstances if he felt his life was in danger. If Brown charged him, that's on Brown for being foolish enough to do so.
Of course it is my opinion. Everything on this forum is an opinion

Old 08-18-2014, 08:26 PM

501 posts, read 303,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
So the 1st time she just made the WHOLE THING UP??

Not buying it.

What's her motive for just telling a lie to reporters? Did she go and talk to all of the other witnesses too right before they were interviewed??
She saw the autopsy report and changed her testimony to fit. Quite obviously too. As for her motive - are you serious?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:27 PM

501 posts, read 303,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What about the interview Brittany Noble did RIGHT after the incident where she interviewed the woman off camera??

That witness said the exact same thing.
No, she didn't. There were quite a few differences. Put up the two cites for the two interviews and let people decide for themselves. In the second interview it is pretty clear she is changing her testimony to fit the autopsy.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Of course it is my opinion. Everything on this forum is an opinion

It depends. Your claims of excessive force? Opinion. The police shooting to maim? False. The police shooting center mass until a threat has been stopped. Fact.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
From a "liberal" site...

The Innocence Project - Understand the Causes: Eyewitness Misidentification

In one of my criminal justice courses in college the professor had two students not regularly in the class (about 12 students in all and this was an upper division course so we all knew each other to an extent) come in and sit in on a session.

About midway thru class (45 minutes in) the professor asked us to go into the next room cuz it was a bit warm in our room.

We all went into the next room and the two unfamiliar kids quietly slipped away (nobody noticed). After we settled in the professor said that our original room was the scene of a fictional theft in the last 45 minutes and we were instructed to provide details of anything out of place, unusual people, etc. Write it down and pass it up.

We had combat vets in there. We had guys who already graduated from the academy in there. We had guys who were already cops in there.

The instructor read the descriptions of the two guys (though 2 folks thought there was only 1 out of place stranger).

Needless to say, it was a cluster blank. All this training and experience in CJ and we were clueless eyewitnesses.

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Does the "Twitter Crowd" have an answer to how the Cop managed to do two head shots on the top of the head with no powder burns at all? He would have needed at least an 8 foot ladder right over the Brown to accomplish that - with Brown on his knees while the officer found and set up a ladder. One of those shots went through the front of the head by the eyebrow, exited at the chin and then hit the chest. The other went straight into the head and lodged.
Simple. The cop shot Brown in the eye, and shot Brown again in the top of the head as he keeled over or as he hit the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I was told I was wrong and then someone gave an example of a sheriff shooting someone in the
shoulder who had a shotgun pointed at him. I would call that a "maiming" wound shot, so
apparently it does happen in law enforcement.
Someone giving an example about some podunk backwater sheriff doesn't change anything. That's the exception to the rule, if ever actually happened or is just some urban legend passed around the campfire.

The rule is that you shoot and you keep shooting and if you have to put two clips into someone before they stop coming after you, then that is what you do.

Quote:

Guess, it's just not what they teach you in those gun training shoot till they drop courses
but I'm guessing that sheriff used a level head and common sense in his conflict instead of
freaking out.

That sheriff, if he exists, could have also easily been sued for his actions and might very well have been. Trying to "maim" someone is illegal simply because it shows that you don't have to shoot, that you're life isn't truly in danger.

That is why you are taught, whether as a police officer or as a civilian taking concealed carry courses to keep firing until the threat is stopped. Not until the other person is dead, but the threat is stopped, that means whether dead or alive, they are incapacitated and no longer a threat to you.

If you shoot someone to "maim", you're going to jail, and will probably have a hefty civil lawsuit on your hands.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:32 PM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

The rule is that you shoot and you keep shooting and if you have to put two clips into someone before they stop coming after you, then that is what you do.
Magazines...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies