Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 04:23 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Two comments:

1. Didn't know the national news media knew where Missouri was located. I bet they gave Mapquest a workout.

2. Is the witness' statement believable now that we know where he was and what he was doing just prior to the incident?
A lawyer on CNN just said his statements are now more or less worthless.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:26 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Judging by the words and actions of those on the street, any factual evidence that this was a justified shooting will be dismissed. All that crowd on the street cares is white cop shot black man dead. Even though the store video shows him robbing the store, that doesn't matter to them.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People commenting on the live feeds they had last night compared it to reality TV shows and asking each other what time it was going to start tonight.

America truly has lost it. These are our "bread and circuses" days right here.
The problem is that the elites/leaders are pandering to the low IQ types. It's stunning to witness.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:42 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Excuse me?
no, excuse me.....
I'm very exhausted of this kind of mentality, it is in fact, 2014 not 1776, it's time to wake up. Martin Luther King was my hero, and what these people are doing is making every black person in the country look bad....

Old 08-17-2014, 04:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
From what I understand, a shot was fired inside the car, meaning the officers use of force had already began? It'd be interesting to know how quick of a time frame this all took place. My guess is about a few seconds. If that's the case, it's very easy to understand how the officer, after already firing inside the car, didn't have time to mentally process the fact that brown was now surrendering, as his defensive use of force had already begun. However, if the kid had the time to run away and put his hands up, meanwhile the officers crawling out of the car, that'd be different.

I'd also like to know how far away Brown got from the officer before he continued firing? Was browns back turned? That should be revealed in the autopsy.

I think a jury has it's work cut out for them in this one.

And Dorian Johnson is a criminal. We know this thanks to the video being released. I wouldn't put any stock in his credibility. The credibility of the other witnesses should be vetted as well.
Dorian Johnson put the box of cigars Brown handed him back on the counter and said, "I don't do this." That's in the police report.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:49 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The problem is that the elites/leaders are pandering to the low IQ types. It's stunning to witness.
Yes, that is so true, and this business of having to hire minorities, again, was a huge mistake....half the reason why our country is the way it is today....no one knows their jobs and thugs are running businesses....oh, and in some states, they have actually lowered the drug question for police applicants, have you done drugs in the past 3 years.....just so they can hire minorities, it used to be 5 years.

Sick and tired of the inadaquate, the best person should get the job, not b/c your a woman or a minority...

sick way to do business.....to absolutely disqualify applicants that are right for the job so a minority can be hired.

I work with one, who is cocky and can't even speak English...she is so lazy....and talks that black way of talking....

and to boot, a lot of the blacks who I work with talk about her as well....it's time blacks who are wonderful working citizens, come forward and condemn this behavior...it has to stop....lving off of welfare, sheeesh?

Selling drugs on a street corner b/c your only goal in life is to own a BMW??????
It has got to stop.
I came up poor a lot of us did, but we worked all our lives to get to where we are....so what makes anyone else so special that they become a menas to society. Because of slavery, how long ago....
sorry, but it doesn't work any more...

ok, here is an example....Mayor Nutter in Philly, says, they have to impose a cig tax in order to open the schools....now all the blacks in Philly vote for him, but they are not asking him "What are you doing with all our tax money, why do you have to impose a tax on cigs, so that schools can survive?" Amazing.

Get an education and become a working member of society....

Old 08-17-2014, 05:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow - after watching the video taken right after the shooting, with the bystanders walking around, the parents rushing up, the people talking and commenting - all I can tell you is that I sure am glad I don't live anywhere near there.

One thing I found very interesting is how quickly the phrase, "They shot him for NOTHING" kept being repeated and spread as if it was the gospel truth - by the guy videoing as well as those who walked up and started milling around. Now - these people never claimed to have witnessed the shooting - only hearing the shots. All they know is that a guy is laying dead on the street and lots of cops are around. Immediately though - in their minds, Mike Brown is innocent and was shot for nothing. How did they reach this conclusion which quickly morphed into "fact?"

I noticed another thing too - this situation reminded me of a time in my life when a guy in our neighborhood was stabbed (not killed, but stabbed) outside on the sidewalk. This was in a working class Texas neighborhood - not the projects but a very diverse neighborhood of white, black and Hispanic working class people. When we heard the commotion outside, everyone came out of their houses and stood around talking, watching, etc.

The difference in the two scenarios is striking. For starters, in my neighborhood, everyone was talking in hushed tones, not yelling and cussing and carrying on. Everyone was especially quiet and respectful when the mother came out of the house and saw her son laying on the sidewalk - there was dead silence in fact, not the hoopla you hear on the videos of the Mike Brown scene. Also, there was no smack talk or even speculation about ANYONE - the police, the victim, the perpetrator (there were no witnesses to the actual stabbing). People - black, white, and hispanic - were just whispering, "I don't know what happened," "Does anyone know that guy who got stabbed?" "Does anyone know his mother?" that sort of thing. I don't recall anyone uttering a single curse word or accusation.

In Mike Brown's neighborhood, the atmosphere is very, errrrrr, different. I found that very interesting.
The Police probably routinely harass the citizens. Lie. Cover up things. Etc.

That's even according to successful people who have made it out,

Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What they (the protesters) are demanding is impossible. These cops are human beings, they deal with the worst of the worst of society every day. What does society expect of them? They are going to make mistakes. This cop, probably made 5000 good decisions in a row and now he's made one bad one.

What does anyone expect when society is the way it is, especially in that part of the country?

How can you put any police officer into a situation where half of the population are criminals and expect mistakes to not be made?

If they want to protest, they should be protesting their own community and their own culture of violence and criminality.
The only murder/killing there this year has been Mike Brown's.

I'm tired of hearing the "1 mistake" argument made for one, but not for the other. If Brown could have made, 1 mistake than so could the officer.

What the protesters are demanding is not impossible. It's VERY possible. Transparency is what the people want. Body cameras on officers and an Independent Investigative body. That's not too much to ask.

Especially when we're spending billions elsewhere to help people.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Two comments:

1. Didn't know the national news media knew where Missouri was located. I bet they gave Mapquest a workout.

2. Is the witness' statement believable now that we know where he was and what he was doing just prior to the incident?
There are at least 3 other witness testimonies that so far back up his claim.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
It's worse than that. No witness who lives there wants to be the witness that results in the officer going free. Could you imagine being on the stand and providing testimony in support of the cop? Your life would be over, possibly literally. You would spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder until someone finally caught up with you.

Which means that no one wants to risk being that one person. So, they are making sure that their testimony sounds like the cop is guilty. Was there a struggle at the window? Well, now it becomes the officer putting a chokehold through the window. Did the officer stop his car in front of the two men? Well, now he tried to run them over with his car.

Little details are getting exaggerated. Even if the real story is that the cop should be guilty of murder, this exaggeration will result in wildly inconsistent testimony with 30 different stories of every detail.

Because no one wants to be the one who might set the cop free.
Multiple witnesses' have already given their testimony. They did so immediately after the shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies