Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 11:58 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
There is only one way to use a gun. If you bring it out, you'd better be in imminent danger or reasonable fear of bodily harm. If Brown was indeed charging the officer, then he was fully justified in firing as many rounds as it took to bring Brown down.

If you attack me and I feel I am in enough danger to pull out my gun, I'm going to keep firing my gun until you can't attack me anymore. Whether that means you are wounded or dead, does not matter to me at that point, I'll keep shooting until the threat is over. That is how you are taught to use a gun.
Thanks for answering, and there, Polly, is what I would have said.
When you attack others expect them to defend themselves, sooner or later all bullies run into someone that can and does take them down. It is unfortunate that the 18 year old kid will not see his 19th year because of his own actions, hopefully other children will learn from the lesson he provided, being a bully and a criminal will land you in jail or dead sooner or later, chose another path and live a long and happy life.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
There is only one way to use a gun. If you bring it out, you'd better be in imminent danger or reasonable fear of bodily harm. If Brown was indeed charging the officer, then he was fully justified in firing as many rounds as it took to bring Brown down.

If you attack me and I feel I am in enough danger to pull out my gun, I'm going to keep firing my gun until you can't attack me anymore. Whether that means you are wounded or dead, does not matter to me at that point, I'll keep shooting until the threat is over. That is how you are taught to use a gun.
That is the way I was taught.....shoot for the middle and keep shooting.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:59 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yet he is now a Federal witness. That came from his attorney who said he can't talk to the press anymore because he is a Federal witness. The Fed may have jumped the gun a little too early on gathering witnesses for an assassination charge.

Even if Wilson is innocent, his life as he knows it is basically over at this point. If he's not found guilty in a trial, the government will hang civil rights violations over his head and if that fails, he'll get to move somewhere far away where he might be able to find a small modicum of safety and peace.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Polly, shooting to "maim" does not exist in the real world at all.

There's not a single credible firearms training program in the world that will teach you anything other than to fire center mass.
I did not know that. I thought cops could shoot to wound, and only used lethal force if
necessary. So, you are saying, every time a police officer shoots his weapon, it is to shoot to kill, e.g. three shots to the chest, then if criminal does not warrant deadly force, should not they pick another weapon?

Grab that Taser or baton first then. Especially if the perpetrator does not have a WEAPON.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Even if Wilson is innocent, his life as he knows it is basically over at this point. If he's not found guilty in a trial, the government will hang civil rights violations over his head and if that fails, he'll get to move somewhere far away where he might be able to find a small modicum of safety and peace.
He should move to mid-Michigan......we love him.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is the way I was taught.....shoot for the middle and keep shooting.

I don't think some folks understand that if you "shoot to maim", that the argument will be made that you weren't in all that much danger to begin with and even if the shooting was justified, you could still end up going to jail as a result, if not, you'll certainly face a civil lawsuit. If you're going to shoot, shoot to bring the threat down. This is also assuming that you don't accidentally hit an innocent bystander because you weren't firing center mass.

The only people who try to be cute and "maim" someone end up regretting it terribly in the end.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:01 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Sadly true and most will not care one bit because no matter what, they will still think he is guilty, people can be real arses at times.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:03 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
I love how Brown had to have been wielding a minigun Arnold style, with video evidence of him screaming "**** the police" for some people to accept that a police officer might actually have a right to defend themselves.
nothing wrong with defending oneself but if a police officer needs to kill every time he feels defenseless it's going to be a long winter.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:04 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
I don't think some folks understand that if you "shoot to maim", that the argument will be made that you weren't in all that much danger to begin with and even if the shooting was justified, you could still end up going to jail as a result, if not, you'll certainly face a civil lawsuit. If you're going to shoot, shoot to bring the threat down. This is also assuming that you don't accidentally hit an innocent bystander because you weren't firing center mass.

The only people who try to be cute and "maim" someone end up regretting it terribly in the end.
and half of them regret it because the person who was hit has a chance to give testimony

Old 08-18-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:

They just might be killed with their own gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies