Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I would say I'm being safe. I do what I can to survive. Recently, my boyfriend and I started reconnecting with his parents, the same parents that threw him out into the streets when he was 15 when they found out he was gay. They told us that they weren't homophobic. They were just trying to be good christians and not tolerate the sin

By all the anti-sodomy laws that you guys put into place before the more progressive elements managed to strike them out. The supreme court finally declared them unconstitutional in 2002 (21st century).

I vote based on the best interests of myself and my loved ones. One of the things I regret the most was voted for GWB.

Sure, I knew that when he was governor of Texas he was a loud support of anti-sodomy laws. But at the time, I wasn't a fan of Gore. Who would have thunk GWB would take us to 2 wars and blew through hundreds of billions of dollars?

Again, I vote based on the info that I have, not based on who's on what party. If the republican party can give me a real candidate next time around, I will vote for him/her. It will be hard, though, since almost every republican primary debate so far pretty much consisted of who hated Obama and the gheys more.

Again, it is interesting, yet consistent, that those who purport to be victims of stereotypes and "labeling" tend to be those who practice summary prejudice and cling to stereotypes.

So all conservatives hate gays? Thanks for the information- I was not aware of that. I will tell my younger brother to go to hell the next time I see him, as all conservatives hate gays.

I tend to evaluate people based on thier behavior, rather than race, gender, or sexual orientation. It is good that you have "shown" me that I have been wrong all of these years.

PS- No one gives a crap whether you are gay or not. When you wear your sexuality on your shirt sleeve and make it the defining part of your being, expect to satisfy your preconceived notions and prejudices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:38 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I am judging them based on the fact that they seem unable to recognize a very basic trend within their community and families. Whether or not these mistakes are made because of socioeconomics or IQ level, I couldn't care less, I just don't feel bad for them. Even animals can sense when a certain behavior is the cause of an unfavorable outcome. Also the poor education argument is played out, it doesn't require a PhD in biology to know that sex can result in a baby.
How you feel about these people has zero bearing on figuring out how to deal with them.

Since poverty is the problem, common sense suggests that cutting them off is just going to make the problem worse, not better.

And the problem isn't that these people don't know that sex can result in a baby.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:14 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
The top 3 states breeding like rabbits (highest birth rates) according to CDC

1. Utah
2. Alaska
3. North Dakota

Top 3 states with highest numbers of births

1. California
2. Texas
3. New York
Originally Posted by nvxplorer
Each is a red state. May as well be in the South.

Except they aren't! The 3 top states for breeding have ONLY red in common with the south, and nothing else. To relate every red state to the south is ignorant at the very least.

The top for births makes perfect sense as well, considering they are the 3 most populous states.

To frame this as "breeding like rabbits" is alarmist and an over exaggeration of the data.

Here's the actual number of births per 1000 as of the last census (2010):

1. Utah 18.9
2. Alaska 16.2
3. Texas 15.4
4. DC 15.2
5. Idaho 14.8

6. S. Dakota 14.5
7. Nebraska/Kansas/Oklahoma 14.2
8. Oklahoma 14.2
9. Georgia 13.8
10. California 13.7

As you can see, there is only ONE SOUTHERN STATE in the top 10. Those people in DC should be the last ones breeding like rabbits. I'd also point out that CA being anywhere near 14 per T is dangerous, because all of the "educated" families here are having far fewer children. This would mean our birth rates are being driven primarily by the lower classes.

Number of Births per 1,000 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Last edited by steven_h; 08-18-2014 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
From my point of view the ignorant and insane have been running the Earth since we climbed down from the trees.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:31 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 Quote:
Also, how did you come to the conclusion that conservatives want to imprison gays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
By all the anti-sodomy laws that you guys put into place before the more progressive elements managed to strike them out. The supreme court finally declared them unconstitutional in 2002 (21st century).
Excuse me? Can you post a few cites of partisan anti-sodomy laws? Otherwise you've swallowed a lie hook line and sinker.

The fact is that most of those laws were written long before the Republican party existed. There's still plenty of fornication and sodomy laws on the books in each state. They keep them around to bust people on trumped up charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
From my point of view the ignorant and insane have been running the Earth since we climbed down from the trees.
Agreed! And then they started inbreeding, which only made them worse!

Old 08-18-2014, 12:29 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
great quote, i'm keeping this one.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

^^^
This x 10

It seems that political "leaders" never learn the lessons of history.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:53 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Except that they aren't. Not even close in geography or culture. Sorry that those stats challenge your belief system.
Red and blue states are divided by political affiliation, not geography and culture. I fail to see how voting trends challenge anyone's belief system.

Quote:
Yes I know. And???
Back at'cha. Pointless.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Nah, loss of IQ points is across the board. This study suggests that Westerners have lost 14 IQ points since the 19th century.

People Getting Dumber? Human Intelligence Has Declined Since Victorian Era, Research Suggests

Http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...60289613000470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I'm just quoting this part of your post because I don't want to take up a whole page, but I am responding mostly to the story of your upbringing.

I'm sure it was a struggle for you and your family and kudos to you for what you've accomplished, but on the other hand you also seem to have benefitted from a strong, loving family that worked together and took responsibility for each other.

I'm not sure which country you're talking about, but I've lived abroad and Asian cultures do tend to have a strong work ethic and their parents push them to achieve. They also tend to benefit from a very strong community support when they move to the west.

This isn't to downplay your achievements, just to point out that poverty in the west involves more than just money... it's a really deep social problem as well. If you're from Asia I'm sure your society is probably fairly homogeneous as well, so you might not have the same understanding of racism against black people here... which is different from racism against Asians, or discrimination against homosexuals, etc. Again, not downplaying it... but I'm sure that if a white person sees an Asian, they're going to have a completely different set of preconceptions compared to when they see a black person... and some of those preconceptions probably work in the Asian's favor when it comes to work/hiring.

The most frustrating thing is that in the west we have more than enough financial and human resources available to deal with these problems... and yet most of that money goes to war, oil, tax breaks for the rich, etc. If there was money to be made in the poor communities, then maybe things would be different... but it's easier to just sweep them under the rug. So the problems fester and grow worse and worse, are passed on through generations until finally people just assume that poor people get what they deserve/are genetically inferior.

No one on this thread is judging these people on their IQs, aptitudes, or potential (you don't even know them), you're judging them on their socioeconomic status, which is, past a certain age, about the only measure Americans use to determine each other's value as a human being.

Here's a study showing that for people of low socioeconomic status, 60% of variance in IQ is due to their environment, and heritability is almost zero, which is the opposite in more affluent families:

Socioeconomic Status Modifies Heritability of IQ in Young Children

Again proving my point that this sort of behavior is sociocultural. Childhood abuse, drugs, violence, PTSD, and precarious family situations are all proven to lower the IQ, and they're all endemic to poverty-stricken neighborhoods in the US.

Poverty Effect On Intelligence - Business Insider

13 points is nothing to take lightly... it could be the difference between genius and average, between average and below average, etc. If those people had loving families or at least social programs that might help them to make up for some of the damage done by their living situations, they wouldn't be having so many kids, they wouldn't be on welfare, and they wouldn't be so hopeless and depressed.

My main point being that if the world was full of these so-called 'less evolved' kids (a term which actually implies ignorance of what evolution is) and there was enough demand for skilled workers, then there would be incentive enough to make sure these people were being educated and given stable, supportive upbringings... which would in turn prepare them to fill the roles vacated by the nonexistent heirs of all of these rich white people who aren't reproducing.

Society would continue to exist exactly as it does today, but with fewer racial barriers... it's not like all of the wonderful destructive patterns we've established are exclusively dependent on white people or Asians to perpetuate themselves. As much as people on this board want to believe there's a huge difference between themselves and the woman in that video, there really isn't.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Again, it is interesting, yet consistent, that those who purport to be victims of stereotypes and "labeling" tend to be those who practice summary prejudice and cling to stereotypes.

So all conservatives hate gays? Thanks for the information- I was not aware of that. I will tell my younger brother to go to hell the next time I see him, as all conservatives hate gays.
I didn't say that. I never said all conservatives hate gays. But enough conservatives hate gays for me to watch out for them.

Let's look at it this way. Suppose you're living in Nazi Germany back in the 30's. Sure, historically we know of some Nazis that were very kind souls and risked everything to help those who needed help. Does that mean you were not justified to watch out for Nazis?

Enough conservatives hate gay people so much that they banned a conservative gay group from last year's republican convention. Unless you deny this fact, then it is safe for me to assume that you guys hate me until you prove otherwise.

Quote:
I tend to evaluate people based on thier behavior, rather than race, gender, or sexual orientation. It is good that you have "shown" me that I have been wrong all of these years.
Again, that's exactly what my boyfriend's parents said when we recently reconnected with them. It's the politically correct thing to say. Of course, we'd have to ignore the fact that they threw their 15 year old son into the streets back when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies