Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
For the record, where do you live? Also, have any other CDers heard this kind of thing (in real life, not online) in your areas?
I live in Texas, and have not heard people say this type of stuff.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
No whites don't trash their own neighborhoods....they hang black men from trees or burn black towns down. Blacks didn't being the legacy of rioting in the U.S....
Why do you use present tense? What you mean is a segment of white people (by no means all) hanged black people and burned black townsin the past. This is crucial.

You want to get mad at what's happening today, fine. But don't bring up past injustices that were already adjudicated and paid for in blood years ago. Remember that many white people helped black people bring those barriers down because they recognized the injustices. Everyone should remember it's usually the small groups of people causing trouble when the larger groups of people just want to live in peace.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 PM

156 posts, read 193,506 times
^ Thanks. (For both posts.)

And for the record, I live in Florida too - although I've been making plans to move for several months - so I'm not surprised people are saying that here. In the part of Tampa where I live, people are pretty cool, but I've seen more than enough of that kind of bigotry in the suburbs and rural areas.

Anyway, I've been following this story obsessively, worrying about how it'll affect the world's perception of black people and whether or not the fallout from this is going to affect my ability to move into decent neighborhoods in the future, how badly both the police and the black leaders have handled this, etc. etc...

But I've realized that I just have to let go. I don't have anything to do with it and I haven't taken sides, so I'm not responsible for what a bunch of people I've never met are doing in a single town five states away.

I don't conform to any of the stereotypes, either (I work every day, never taken welfare, don't dress or act hood, not racist against white people, never committed a crime harder than a traffic violation, etc.) so if people choose to discriminate against me, that's their stupidity. I'm with the dude a few pages back who said he just stays out of trouble and rides his bike.

I can't let myself keep losing my mind over Ferguson. That's the only way I can stay sane, anyway, since I get the feeling the S is really going to HTF tonight after that second shooting.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I dont know the guy or anything, but he didnt say ALL black people need...anything.
You should re-read the post it was in response to. It was directed at the "collective" black people, not individuals. In fact this topic is essentially about the "collective" notion of black people. Apparently the behavior of troublemakers in Ferguson, of all races, are supposed to reflect on me. This is how American media and American society works. Non-white people are collective, white people are individuals.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why do you keep saying this cop executed the kid because he committed a crime? No one has alleged that, even the Ferguson police. As far as I know, the claim is that Michael Brown went after the cop and the cop was defending himself. It had zero to do with the shoplifting incident.

And school shooters and terrorists have been shot on sight when someone with a gun finally arrived. The shooting on sight is the usual way these types of events were stopped (either that or they ran out of ammo).
No it is a little different. The Ferguson police, upon giving a statement on the incident, decided to lead with the fact that Brown was a suspect in the convenience store robbery. But that had no bearing on the shooting incident. The police department's strategy was to distract from the real issue at hand: why did a jaywalking incident escalate into the shooting. Now everyone is trying to talk about this robbery that the officer had no knowledge of.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 PM

156 posts, read 193,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You should re-read the post it was in response to. It was directed at the "collective" black people, not individuals. In fact this topic is essentially about the "collective" notion of black people. Apparently the behavior of troublemakers in Ferguson, of all races, are supposed to reflect on me. This is how American media and American society works. Non-white people are collective, white people are individuals.
Not to stick up for that mindset, but black people also do that to white people all the time. In fact, most races do that to most other races. Everyone still has a long way to go.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post
Not to stick up for that mindset, but black people also do that to white people all the time. In fact, most races do that to most other races. Everyone still has a long way to go.
I am talking about from a societal or cultural definition. We don't say, that white guy is a child molester, that is just how white people are. We don't say, that white guy shot up the movie theater because that is what white people do.

We do use that leap to describe black people. And asian people. We are perfectly happy to stereotype all asian people as hard working overachievers. People don't "complain" since that is a positive stereotype, but it is equally as damaging.

I'll quote posts from this thread and other Ferguson ones that represent this mindset:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
If ninety percent of the black community, there would hardly be any blacks living in poverty. In fact, even if just 30% of the black men think like him, there would be a significant sea-change to the situation of many black communities across the United States. There would be far less abandoned kids with poor mothers and grandmothers, there would be far greater stability in black family life, there would be far greater numbers of positive male role models for younger black men to follow, there would be far more positive academic work and achievements from the black community, and far less negativity and self perpetuating destruction and violence. The positive snowball effect would be tremendous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawson View Post
Continue blaming this plague of murder in the black community on white racism and give yourselves a false sense of reasoning (excuses) especially when your kid is shot by some moron during a drive-by. I am a racist I suppose for not having respect for the black race as a whole. I do no feel that way about any other race. I feel for those hard working, educated blacks that want the best for their families and have to be associated with those that refuse to come out of the ghetto.

I only wish that blacks were able to exist in their own community without intervention from other races to exist so that we could live separately. If they don't want us around, i.e. as cops, shop keepers in their community, they can do it themselves and leave us alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Perhaps if black youth were brought up in an environment that taught them how to properly interact with the police instead of "going ghetto" there wouldn't be a problem.
And here are some posts about Elliot Rodgers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G. Griffin View Post
Yet another narcissistic, self entitled kid gone bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Can't rep you enough. Something needs to be done about these crazy loner-types before more innocent people get killed. A good place to start would be the elimination of participation trophies so these freaks don't feel so entitled throughout life. These kids receive Little League baseball trophies just for showing up, even if they're the worst player on the team... and then people wonder why these same kids grow up thinking they "deserve" women just for showing up at a club (or "deserve" a $100k salary right out of college). And then go on a rampage when they find out that they can't get everything they want in life, contrary to what they were told growing up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Thanks.

Whenever this issue comes up (violent behavior and a mental disorder) I think it is important to remember that just because the majority of people with "X" diagnosis aren't violent... it doesn't mean that someone with "X" diagnosis can't be capable of violence.

And "X" can be any mental disorder ... Most people with schizophrenia are not violent, but some are. Most people with major depression are not violent, but some are... etc, etc....

Based on his video, I suspected he could be on the spectrum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
I think people should stop faux diagnosing these killer losers with the various mental illness labels. When you are quick to do such, what ends up happening is people feeling sorry for them and saying they didn't stand a chance. There are just evil people in this world -point blank.
No one is letting his behavior reflect on all people with mental illness, all mixed kids, all rich kids, all college kids, or anything else. He is just seen as a single crazy guy.

We have coded this sentiment into our society.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:51 PM

317 posts, read 328,753 times
Do these discussions on these forums bring about any positive changes? How do we get our government to increase education in these crime ridden areas?

Old 08-20-2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
Do these discussions on these forums bring about any positive changes? How do we get our government to increase education in these crime ridden areas?
Increasing education? That's not the real problem. Addressing economic inequality would actually have a much bigger impact. The root of 90% of the issues are lack of economic opportunity and concentrated poverty. Solve these two issues, and most problems go away.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:03 AM

268 posts, read 344,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post

slaves told on other slaves too for a extra piece of cornbread and that is what this fool is doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies