Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 AM

13,703 posts, read 7,984,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
When white kids stop out etc it is a symptom of individual choices. When black kids do the same they are poster children of failings in the black community.

You can have it both ways here.

Most of these "poor choices" are made by "poor people" so maybe the issue us more about concentrated poverty / economic class and less about race?

Sorry but the refugees from Southeast Asia that began showing in SF not only were on public assistance but didn't speak English. Yet, they often attended parent/teacher conference and 30 years later you can see the results.

Interestingly enough there were Black educators in SF who warned back in the late 70s it would be a mistake to excuse failure and not to hold black children to the same standards as others. Years later we see they were right.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:05 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,338,301 times
CNN ended one of its most recent stories on Ferguson with this quote:

Whatever the reason, the residents along West Florissant yearn for a return to the normalcy that is still day-to-day life on the other side of town. They may get it. Thursday's and Friday's protests were some of the most peaceful yet.

Some black residents, though, are skeptical it can stay that way, especially if Darren Wilson isn't indicted.
"If this police officer don't get no kind of charge," said the nurse, Pendelton, shaking her head at the potentiality, "they think it's chaos now?"

Residents: The Ferguson on TV is not our town - CNN.com

Very sad.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:11 PM

317 posts, read 328,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debliah View Post
CNN ended one of its most recent stories on Ferguson with this quote:

Whatever the reason, the residents along West Florissant yearn for a return to the normalcy that is still day-to-day life on the other side of town. They may get it. Thursday's and Friday's protests were some of the most peaceful yet.

Some black residents, though, are skeptical it can stay that way, especially if Darren Wilson isn't indicted.
"If this police officer don't get no kind of charge," said the nurse, Pendelton, shaking her head at the potentiality, "they think it's chaos now?"

Residents: The Ferguson on TV is not our town - CNN.com

Very sad.

A nurse spoke that way?

Old 08-23-2014, 02:11 PM

13,703 posts, read 7,984,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debliah View Post
...Some black residents, though, are skeptical it can stay that way, especially if Darren Wilson isn't indicted.

The nurse is quite right. Chaos will erupt regardless of facts. Al Sharpton, CNN, MSNBC have all helped ensure that's going to happen.

The real tragedy will be to the business community who no doubt fear that without massive protection they will be crushed.

Unfortunately, I doubt law enforcement/national guard will be pro-active despite knowing what's in store should the grand jury elect not to charge Wilson.

Or a not guilty verdict reached in the event of a trial.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
When white kids stop out etc it is a symptom of individual choices. When black kids do the same they are poster children of failings in the black community.

You can have it both ways here.

Most of these "poor choices" are made by "poor people" so maybe the issue us more about concentrated poverty / economic class and less about race?

Sure wide spread government programs to help all poor in this country would be good. However; different groups will need separate programs. The poor white person doesn't need to learn about things in black culture that hold them back. Such as when poor blacks call another black names for talking correctly.

I've heard more than one poor black male say "Don't love them hoes" "Hoes are suppose to work for us" That kind of twisted mindset has got to stop.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:19 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,123,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
Sure wide spread government programs to help all poor in this country would be good. However; different groups will need separate programs. The poor white person doesn't need to learn about things in black culture that hold them back. Such as when poor blacks call another black names for talking correctly.
I actually think it would be beneficial. And vice versa. Maybe it would show that certain issues aren't isolated by race.

I have good friends from the hills of Appalachia. Addiction, public assistance abuse, high unemployment, violence, etc.

I think basic finance courses as well as more skill building courses would help. Basic skills needed to survive in today's world.

As far as the pastor in the OP's post, he in NO way represents the views of black america. I honestly with people would st

Old 08-23-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I actually think it would be beneficial. And vice versa. Maybe it would show that certain issues aren't isolated by race.

I have good friends from the hills of Appalachia. Addiction, public assistance abuse, high unemployment, violence, etc.

I think basic finance courses as well as more skill building courses would help. Basic skills needed to survive in today's world.

As far as the pastor in the OP's post, he in NO way represents the views of black america. I honestly with people would st

Speech is also very important when interviewing for a job. You don't have to speak at the level of an English Professor, but you need to speak well enough that you're near the same level of the one interviewing you.

I went to majority black schools and I noticed that I got graded harder by many English teachers. I got mad about it one day and asked the teacher. She said I can't grade them like you,because they're not taught to speak like you in their homes. I told my parents and they went to the principal and after that I could use double negatives all I liked.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:26 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,775 times
Quote:
A nurse spoke that way?

Here in southeastern Virginia, it's shocking how many so-called "college-educated" African-Americans still talk in a way that makes them sound quite un-educated. I suppose it's cultural. It's always been a puzzle to me.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Here in southeastern Virginia, it's shocking how many so-called "college-educated" African-Americans still talk in a way that makes them sound quite un-educated. I suppose it's cultural. It's always been a puzzle to me.

Then they wonder why blacks with a college education have higher unemployment than whites with a college education.

Do the colleges let blacks get away with it? Are they writing the same way they speak? I know I couldn't get away with writing the way that nurse spoke while I was in college.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,775 times
Quote:
Then they wonder why blacks with a college education have higher unemployment than whites with a college education.

Do the colleges let blacks get away with it? Are they writing the same way they speak? I know I couldn't get away with writing the way that nurse spoke while I was in college.
A command of the Queen's English is fast becoming a lost skill, and yet, first impressions do count.

I know that here in Norfolk, we have Norfolk State, an African-American college and they have a dismal record on all fronts.

If you really want to be depressed, click on this link. http://www.popecenter.org/commentari...0#.U_j9H2Nt9j4

Teacher was fired at Norfolk State because he gave the students the grades they deserved. The article says that the professor had "failed to embrace the university’s mission of educating students who aren’t well prepared for college-level work."

Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies