Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 02:49 PM

317 posts, read 328,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
A command of the Queen's English is fast becoming a lost skill, and yet, first impressions do count.

I know that here in Norfolk, we have Norfolk State, an African-American college and they have a dismal record on all fronts. They're in the news a lot, and for all the wrong reasons.

That's a shame that the government would allow a college to do such a disservice to people. I wonder if educated blacks that still talk ghetto know their doing it? Maybe, it's something that is hard for them to do, because they grew up in families and communities where incorrect speech was common.

If the black community would improve it's speech, then other races wouldn't look down on them as much. When your ten year old child speaks better than a grown up it makes you wonder what they've been doing with their life.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:14 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I actually think it would be beneficial. And vice versa. Maybe it would show that certain issues aren't isolated by race.

I have good friends from the hills of Appalachia. Addiction, public assistance abuse, high unemployment, violence, etc.

I think basic finance courses as well as more skill building courses would help. Basic skills needed to survive in today's world.
It can be difficult to promote positive changes in cultures of poverty - poverty not in the economic sense but when subgroups hold onto attitudinal behaviors that differ substantially from that found in the"mainstream." Often, they persist for generations.

As this poster mentions, cultural poverty is an issue in Appalachia. The Scot-Irish had faced hundreds of years of endemic warfare on the borderlands between Scotland and England followed by economic exploitation in the plantations of Ulster (Ireland) before coming to America. Although initially shunned by Yankee settlers and the Quakers for their cantankerous ways, most went on to contribute an enormous amount. Those that did not adapt form the nucleus of many Appalachian communities. Joe Bageant has written a couple of fascinating books and authored essays on the difficulties faced by "his people."

The descendants of the Irish Catholics in Barbados whom Cromwell sent in chains to that island certainly were not part of the then English governing class. Hundreds of years later the lives of those that did not manage to emigrate to the United States remain dysfunctional.

We just returned from Romania where the plight of the Roma certainly struck a chord. Romanians said they actively resisted Ceceascu's efforts to integrate them into Romania society. Read more once home and surprised to see views that the nucleus of their resistance *may* have stemmed from the Roma holding onto then dietary restrictions originating in their high caste Hindu background. (In that sense, they are not unlike the Jews with the major exception that Jewish culture/religion had an enormous to offer whereas that of the Roma was much less attractive to or integrated into Western civilization.)

A generation ago, Oscar Lewis wrote of the culture of poverty in describing some Latin American community. Interesting … just googled it to find that his concepts continue to be discussed today.

Culture of poverty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Needless to say, the majority of African Americans have overcome much of the tragedy imposed by slavery. But the plight of those "that remain behind" doesn't necessarily lend itself to easy solutions.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I like how black people have to separate themselves from the more "uncouth" blacks, but white people don't have to make this distinction with trailer trash....

White people: why are the ghetto whites so loud and uneducated? Why can't they just "fit in" and stop being so ghetto?
Good question. I'm going out of a limb here for there are decaying cities that I don't have much experience with and I haven't moved much around the United States.

But based upon where I have lived (college town in a county set on the very edges of Appalachia, Washington DC metro, college town in the South) many so-called trailer trash are just that - living in trailers in rural areas. Even in the Appalachian college town, there was minimal contact and hence no friction.

Its a different pattern from the migrational and contact points of many whites and some blacks.

When the ghetto white does show up in a suburban/exurban area and litters their front yard with broken down cars etc. you can *bet* there are complaints - followed by housing covenants. Affluent whites who decide to move to the country are sometimes aghast at the cultural gap between them and their neighbors.

But because of the commonality of skin color, it doesn't become a racial issue … just folks not being able to get along.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post

And if we drop the anger and hostility towards outsiders for a moment, I think we might discover something. Ferguson is the first time I've seen both black people and white people take to the internet en masse to actually talk to each other. Yeah, too often, we're arguing or saying racist ****, but the important part is we're talking directly to each other in numbers I've never seen online before.
What an incredible post. You know … I hate your moniker. It should be --

The Guy You Want to Meet More than Once.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:28 PM

671 posts, read 690,246 times
Default Culture of poverty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I actually think it would be beneficial. And vice versa. Maybe it would show that certain issues aren't isolated by race.

I have good friends from the hills of Appalachia. Addiction, public assistance abuse, high unemployment, violence, etc.

I think basic finance courses as well as more skill building courses would help. Basic skills needed to survive in today's world.

As far as the pastor in the OP's post, he in NO way represents the views of black america. I honestly with people would st
Great points about other sub-cultures and different races experiencing parallels with regard to public assistance, drug abuse, crime, etc. I agree that it's most likely more of a socio-economic and cultural phenomenon more so than race.

-Agree that a basic "life skills" and finance class would help immensely...it did with my two in middle school.

Don't know what to say about your assessment about Pastor Gentry's video. I do agree with him for the most part, as evident from my own background and struggles, I could have put the blame on so many people and circumstances...but made the conscious choice not to. Blame, for example, regarding our family situation stemming from deaths and displacement that resulted from WWII, my grandparents and their struggles as well as discrimination when they came to America, poverty, broken home, to society discriminating against the handicapped and women, and so on.

At some point, however, one has to realize that there ARE things one can do, despite one's history as well as current situation - whatever that may be. It comes down to personal responsibility, personal reliance, and seizing the opportunity to change oneself.

I think the Pastor made that point, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Even if he doesn't "represent the views of black america" (sic) as you posted, perhaps "black America" should really listen to his message, and see if they can learn from it? Not only "black America", but everyone else as well. He made some very great points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
Then they wonder why blacks with a college education have higher unemployment than whites with a college education.

Do the colleges let blacks get away with it? Are they writing the same way they speak? I know I couldn't get away with writing the way that nurse spoke while I was in college.
Puzzles me as well. I've personally observed there's a lower standard for certain races/cultures, and it, unfortunately, is only perpetuating the culture of "lower expectations". What good, overall, will that do? Not only detrimental to the individual being held back by this lower standard (not competitive for certain jobs, for example), but quite soon, we will decline into a country of such mediocrity and low standards, that it will assist in our destruction in every way.

I had to tutor a black individual (nice, great guy) in medical school, who could barely spell, let alone learn the names and spelling of the parts of the human body in gross anatomy class. I was absolutely perplexed! How the h*ll he ever got into medical school is beyond me. Despite my best efforts, he was woefully behind- years behind, scholastically. He flunked out even before the first semester - the learning curve for him was just too steep...there was absolutely no way he could possibly keep up.

Then, I worked with a fascinating Hispanic medical professional - the son of a migrant worker. He realized at the high school level, that he was behind in both speaking and writing English. To his credit, he availed himself to every tutor possible, and took extra classes in the evenings (at his own expense) to "catch up". Not only that, he somehow had the foresight to then take extra college courses in science so that he could be competitive for admission into medical school, as well as keep up with peer students whilst in medical school.

Kudos to him, as he graduated with honors, did quite well in his profession, and is a wonderful doctor and good friend today.

So, this is a great example and demonstration of personal responsibility, along with the desire to change and aspire to become something better/greater than be defined or stuck in his socio-economic position, or be held back by the "definition" imposed on him by his culture, peers, and neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debliah View Post
It can be difficult to promote positive changes in cultures of poverty - poverty not in the economic sense but when subgroups hold onto attitudinal behaviors that differ substantially from that found in the"mainstream." Often, they persist for generations.

As this poster mentions, cultural poverty is an issue in Appalachia. The Scot-Irish had faced hundreds of years of endemic warfare on the borderlands between Scotland and England followed by economic exploitation in the plantations of Ulster (Ireland) before coming to America. Although initially shunned by Yankee settlers and the Quakers for their cantankerous ways, most went on to contribute an enormous amount. Those that did not adapt form the nucleus of many Appalachian communities. Joe Bageant has written a couple of fascinating books and authored essays on the difficulties faced by "his people."

The descendants of the Irish Catholics in Barbados whom Cromwell sent in chains to that island certainly were not part of the then English governing class. Hundreds of years later the lives of those that did not manage to emigrate to the United States remain dysfunctional.

We just returned from Romania where the plight of the Roma certainly struck a chord. Romanians said they actively resisted Ceceascu's efforts to integrate them into Romania society. Read more once home and surprised to see views that the nucleus of their resistance *may* have stemmed from the Roma holding onto then dietary restrictions originating in their high caste Hindu background. (In that sense, they are not unlike the Jews with the major exception that Jewish culture/religion had an enormous to offer whereas that of the Roma was much less attractive to or integrated into Western civilization.)

A generation ago, Oscar Lewis wrote of the culture of poverty in describing some Latin American community. Interesting … just googled it to find that his concepts continue to be discussed today.

Culture of poverty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Needless to say, the majority of African Americans have overcome much of the tragedy imposed by slavery. But the plight of those "that remain behind" doesn't necessarily lend itself to easy solutions.
Very intelligent explanation and approach to this whole conversation! Not only was the history you presented interesting, but I learned quite a bit. I see where the attitudinal behaviors you illustrated will indeed, hold people back through generations!

It certainly takes both courage and perseverance to escape the limiting shackles of certain "dysfunctional" attitudes and long-term cultural holdings. They risk the shunning of their cultural and neighborhood groups, as well as succumb back into it.

Akin to that example of a bunch of crabs in a bucket...once a crab fights its way to the top and almost climbs out, others below pull him back down into the bucket as they climb over him. The end result is, no one ever gets out.

You're correct...there are no easy solutions. But there are solutions, none-the-less. Outside influence/mentorship of successful people who made it out of their own socio-economic strata or cultural attitudes may one way to help.

Raising the expectations and standards through public education can help, as perhaps will curriculum changes on life skills/finances, and how to live and compete in the wider society at large.

From within, perhaps members of these groups can finally decide that leaving the negative or self-defeating generational and current cultural attitudes and aspects of their groups behind will not only benefit them, but serve as an example to the rest to do the same. Change does take time, however.

I don't see this as a permanent situation, as others have done it...we just have to encourage more of them to do it as well.
Great post. Thank you!

Dandiday

Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,228,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The real tragedy will be to the business community who no doubt fear that without massive protection they will be crushed.

No doubt. Some people probably have pre-planned what stores they are going to steal from. So pathetic. I wish all the stores are rigged with explosives for all the looters and thieves.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,960,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Oppression oschmession. The only oppression taking place today is self-generated. If you refuse to make yourself valuable to others, you are responsible for the nothing that your life becomes. Nobody is oppressing anyone except themselves.
No oppression? Have you forgotten stop and frisk? A problem is some people have perceptions with no first hand experience. Sit down and have a real conversation with someone who you feel has a mindset of being oppressed.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
No doubt. Some people probably have pre-planned what stores they are going to steal from. So pathetic. I wish all the stores are rigged with explosives for all the looters and thieves.
Speaking as a small-business owner, my heart really goes out to the folks who had their stores looted, vandalized and burned. That's not covered by insurance - ever.

If the federal government is going to bail them out, I would suggest this be viewed in the same light as a location that floods repeatedly, and bail the businesses out on the condition that they don't rebuild in "marginal" communities; certainly not with taxpayer dollars.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:17 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,159,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yes. Sometimes black people are ridiculed as "oreos" if their values are "too white"
Or... they (who are probably 85-90% of all African-Americans) are just regular everyday people with no labels other than what conservatives and other right wingers want to apply to the whole.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Speaking as a small-business owner, my heart really goes out to the folks who had their stores looted, vandalized and burned. That's not covered by insurance - ever.

If the federal government is going to bail them out, I would suggest this be viewed in the same light as a location that floods repeatedly, and bail the businesses out on the condition that they don't rebuild in "marginal" communities; certainly not with taxpayer dollars.
Why would insurance not cover that? Thats a damn shame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies