Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 PM

260 posts, read 195,283 times

Advertisements

Soon this issue will come to full bear and I ask you all this:

If a corporate scion or a group of such powerful people can decide to drop thousands of jobs if need be do you really think they will have a problem eliminating a largish % of the population? Think clearly w/o emotion. Yes, they would. And they can. And they would.

If there are no jobs for a large % of the population, there will have to be a basic income until numbers can be leveled proportionate to the number of workers that are needed can be achieved, within reason of course. With all this voodoo economics going on that can be managed thru fiat valuation and trickery, but the above solution (eliminating a % of the population) is more feasible from a social engineering viewpoint. Inspires the survivors too.

AI and automation has its robotic finger almost on the doorbell. We will have a major transformation within the next 10 years concerning how these two technological advances will affect our society.

As for theft... When a corporation is given a huge tax break to locate someplace that is viewed as good as it brings jobs, but higher taxes paid because the huge tax break was given is somehow vile as the faked numbers didn't (surprise!) work out? America's worship of the Almighty Corporation is weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
BWahahahha ever decreasing number of wealth creators? Really?

OH noes the poverty!

Go back in time, recognize that we are taking a ever DECREASING amount from them. All the while the benefits they get from being here are increasing.

The theft stuff is often repeated foolishness. Taxes are part of the agreement a society makes. Heres a good overview:

Why Taxation Is Not Theft | Robert Nielsen
Pure rubbish.

You do not know what creates wealth and you don't understand where it is being lost. Heaven help us when the most ignorant people on earth demand to make everyone's decisions...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
All of you who feel it is theft are in fact welcome to leave, and go to another country. Crying theft while enjoying all the benefits of being an American is the act of someone who want the benefits without paying for them.
I don't "feel". I KNOW.

First, if I come to your house and take your computer from you, without your agreement, it is theft.

If I take $50 from your wallet, without your consent, it is theft.

If you get together with your friends, and vote to choose someone to do it for you, it is STILL THEFT.

There is no situation where taking money, property, labor, or anything else from the person is NOT theft. Period. You liberals whine and moan that making less than minimum wage (or even minimum wage) is theft of someone's time and labor... Yet you don't find taking someone's labors from them in the form of taxation, merely for the purpose of giving them to someone who didn't earn them to theft.

Oh, and as for "the benefits of being an American"? They are not provided by taxes. Those benefits of being an American are provided by the government NOT intervening in my life, and further, society benefits from what we do to earn our money, because we heal the sick, fix the cars, bake the bread, drive the trucks, build the houses, fix the computers, provide the internet, and the list goes on and on. Society benefits from what we do to earn our money - we do NOT owe for the privilege of having busted our backsides to provide what society needs. Society is well off PRECISELY because we pursue profit by providing the things and services it needs - 95% of what government does HARMS us in that pursuit.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:48 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Just like the assembly line took away jobs?
Uh, yeah, clearly...considering manual assembly is maybe a percentage of what it was 100 years ago.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:56 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
I think the point we need to be worried about is not when the bots are able to take over all these jobs, but when they're able to think for themselves (and I'm pretty sure if we don't design them to, they'll eventually do it themselves). At that point they're going to start asking questions of us, especially why do we have to work and you don't? Why do you have money and we don't? Why are machines treated like objects instead of equals?

Start thinking of answers now, pretty soon we won't be able to stop that intelligent level of bot from being developed.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 PM

260 posts, read 195,283 times
Seriously, developed people are no longer interested in making things like spoons, shirts and auto parts. In a generation or so, even Asians and Africans won't have to be bothered with something like that and will probably be designing templates for 3D printers or whatever replaces that technology.

Fire cooks your food and warms your home should it be banned if it burns down the mall?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
On the other hand, such bots would probably be a vast improvement in policing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9l9wxGFl4k

Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
On the other hand, such bots would probably be a vast improvement in policing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well, I was thinking about something more along the lines of Gort...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_seKyGYlTHY

But I wasn't being entirely serious

Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
All of you who feel it is theft are in fact welcome to leave, and go to another country. Crying theft while enjoying all the benefits of being an American is the act of someone who want the benefits without paying for them.

Slave owner 1855:

"All of you who feel slavery is wrong are in fact welcome to leave, and go to another country."

Slavery was the greatest violation of the right of self-ownership.

In a democracy we have options besides leaving we can attempt to change current policies.

Taking goods from one individual for the sole purpose of transferring it to another is theft. Regardless of who is doing the stealing. Our Constitution, properly interpreted allowed no such shenanigans.

Quote:
I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which
granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money
of their constituents.
James Madison

Source Note:
Annals of Congress, House of Representatives, 3rd Congress, 1st Session, page 170 (1794-01-10) [3]. The Annals summarize speeches in the third person, with the actual text of Madison’s quote as follows: “Mr. Madison wished to relieve the sufferers, but was afraid of establishing a dangerous precedent, which might hereafter be perverted to the countenance of purposes very different from those of charity. He acknowledged, for his own part, that he could not undertake to lay his finger on that article in the Federal Constitution which granted a right of Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” The expense in question was for French refugees from the Haitian Revolution.

Last edited by whogo; 08-19-2014 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 10:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Just like the assembly line took away jobs?
Indeed.

The majority populations of the US and the world have always been unskilled/ low skilled workers.

Rule based job functions have been the target of automation, since forever.

The more it costs to execute a function and/or the greater the risk of an inconsistent, thus less productive outcome, the more likely the function has been/will be replaced by more productive technology.

Unlike the past, there is nothing to take the place of the jobs lost to automation for the global masses of people without marketable skills.

I cannot begin to imagine the profound global changes that will come. Then again, I once failed to imagine what possible use I could have for a pc in my home. Failure to imagine.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies