Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times

Advertisements

This video blew me away. It details all of the ways automation will soon take over most of the jobs that employ Americans.

With automation coming, and coming quickly (it's already here) in virtually every field, up to 45% of the workforce will soon be unemployable, through no fault of their own. The jobs just simply won't be there any longer. All of our debate about raising the minimum wage may be moot.

It sounds like a good case for basic income.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-...&feature=share

Last edited by HeyJude514; 08-18-2014 at 08:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This video blew me away. It details all of the ways automation will soon take over most of the jobs that employ Americans.

With automation coming, and coming quickly (it's already here) in virtually every field, up to 45% of the workforce will soon be unemployable, through no fault of their own. The jobs just simply won't be there any longer. All of our debate about raising the minimum wage may be moot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-...&feature=share
Bring on technology

Old 08-18-2014, 08:59 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
Debate over a huge jump in minimum wage always was moot. Not because people earning min. may or may not deserve a raise of some size or another - but because in most states you don't see people pumping gas any more. How hard would it be to migrate choice and payment technology from gas pumps to fast food? Not hard, in fact I'm surprised its not been done yet.

There is no good case to be made for basic income..... not because people deserve unemployment and the poverty that comes with it, but because the end result is not likely to be the one intended by such a policy. People like to think that basic income would free many to pursue their creativity - and it would probably work that way for a few - but many people would simply grow fatter and more lazy as they sat around watching TV or playing video games. Is this the desired result? Is this not a likely result?

Coping with the results of automation has been a problem for years already, and you are entirely correct that this problem is going to accelerate. Honestly, I'm very pessimistic that it can be solved conclusively for an entire society.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Basic income? As in a government subsidy? As machines replace people, these displaced workers are unemplohable? That part I don't agree with. The problem I see is that this is a LOT of people, and there is no alternative fields to suit many of them. Put that aside, in all the combined fields left, there aren't near enough jobs to absorb but a fraction of these people.

So you feel the solution is for them to basically retire on a government subsidy? The only way I see that working at all, is for the government to put them to work. Doing anything. Sweeping, picking up trash, park improvement project labor, roads, even clerical stuff. I'd be OK with a basic income program if the manpower drawing it gets utilized. In many areas, the government could actually save money doing this.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Debate over a huge jump in minimum wage always was moot. Not because people earning min. may or may not deserve a raise of some size or another - but because in most states you don't see people pumping gas any more. How hard would it be to migrate choice and payment technology from gas pumps to fast food? Not hard, in fact I'm surprised its not been done yet.

There is no good case to be made for basic income..... not because people deserve unemployment and the poverty that comes with it, but because the end result is not likely to be the one intended by such a policy. People like to think that basic income would free many to pursue their creativity - and it would probably work that way for a few - but many people would simply grow fatter and more lazy as they sat around watching TV or playing video games. Is this the desired result? Is this not a likely result?

Coping with the results of automation has been a problem for years already, and you are entirely correct that this problem is going to accelerate. Honestly, I'm very pessimistic that it can be solved conclusively for an entire society.
As the video points out, this coming automation evolution that is unlike any other that has come before it. It will affect virtually all forms of employment, right up to white collar jobs, doctors, lawyers.

The case for basic income is going to be that with no jobs, people will have no ability to earn money--again, not because they don't want to work, but because automation will make most employment obsolete. What people do with their time if they can't work because there are no jobs is beside the point. Without some form of basic income, you will be left with people starving in the streets, again, through no fault of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber
So you feel the solution is for them to basically retire on a government subsidy? The only way I see that working at all, is for the government to put them to work. Doing anything. Sweeping, picking up trash, park improvement project labor, roads, even clerical stuff. I'd be OK with a basic income program if the manpower drawing it gets utilized. In many areas, the government could actually save money doing this.
You don't get it. All of that will be done by bots. There won't BE anything for people to do in order to "earn their keep." Watch the video.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
As the video points out, this coming automation evolution that is unlike any other that has come before it. It will affect virtually all forms of employment, right up to white collar jobs, doctors, lawyers.

The case for basic income is going to be that with no jobs, people will have no ability to earn money--again, not because they don't want to work, but because automation will make most employment obsolete. What people do with their time if they can't work because there are no jobs is beside the point. Without some form of basic income, you will be left with people starving in the streets, again, through no fault of their own.

You don't get it. All of that will be done by bots. There won't BE anything for people to do in order to "earn their keep." Watch the video.
Just like the assembly line took away jobs?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:19 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Toyota is becoming more efficient by replacing robots with humans

Toyota is becoming more efficient by replacing robots with humans – Quartz

Old 08-18-2014, 09:27 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
Quote:
I've been seeing videos like that my entire life, people have always feared automation and resisted it, right back to the Luddites.

Will the dire predictions turn out to be true this time? Maybe.... maybe not. I certainly would pay to visit a human doctor over a bot any day So far, I've found my skepticism of such hyperbolic prognostications of doom to have served me well.

I do have some faith in human creativity. For all the jobs that automation has replaced, we do seem to come up with a few new ones. I would like that trend to be more pronounced, as would others.

You know, all that stands between my job and a computer is some decent programming. Lucky for me my boss is not all that good a programmer - he takes a "good enough, works for now" view of it, so there is need of someone on site to fix the problems unanticipated by the programmer.

Quote:
So basically you see the health consequences of obesity and a sedentary lifestyle to be an acceptable consequence of public policy? Or do you dispute this result? How is this result to be mitigated if we did implement a basic income?

Yes, there should be some mechanism to prevent starving in the streets, I will agree with you there. I don't much care who's fault their unemployment is, the fact of it does demand a solution. As I said, I am pessimistic that any of our typical politicians can come up with much that would work well.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:

Wow, where were you when the Tractor took the job of 6 men with Shovels? i mean seriously, who protected their wages!!!

100 years to late sucker!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Basic income? As in a government subsidy? As machines replace people, these displaced workers are unemplohable? That part I don't agree with. The problem I see is that this is a LOT of people, and there is no alternative fields to suit many of them. Put that aside, in all the combined fields left, there aren't near enough jobs to absorb but a fraction of these people.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EamO7-ITtbo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies