Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

It's a bit early to come to those conclusions, don't you think?

Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
LOL I am a millennial and this doesn't speak for my generation for the most part. We aren't all liberal granolas. Although I agree with socialization with family and friends and technology savy.
The Liberal granolas and the techies and the quick teambuilding innovative conservatives all are parts of millennial

Also there's the smart saving Millenials in Midwest suburban communities with between 400-700K in already retirement savings and 30 years of age, who were lucky enough to find positions out of college knowing they were lucky and didn't take it for granted. Instead, they pinched themselves to give the highest possible % contributions to retirement savings and even better, hit the 2009-2014 stock boom

If you started when the DOW was below 7,000, if you had any teenage money and say had $20,000 then and $17,000 additional per year 401k you could be sitting on $200,000-300,000 and if beyond that you were investing another $400-500/month in a fidelity account and hit the apple.com and other certain stocks over those same years

It equates above a half million deferred savings

Others bought homes after the real estate markets bottomed out and now are sitting on a few hundred thousand that way

Most of these big savers ironically, are Millenials who earned every dollar of that wealth. These kids have undergrad finance, accounting, business degrees and the ones with MBAs got reimbursed by companies who hired them. They worked multiple jobs during college years and used scholarships to also cover tuition.
Many and I mean majority of these Millenials came from homes where they were handed very little and started with a few dollars to the name

Last edited by EricS39; 08-19-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
I am an ancient millennial but I like what I see in the 1990s born Millenials

1) tolerance and diversity: They are the first generation to see the best in their age group not just nationally, but worldwide, and making it so transgender and same-sex and those with any mental disorder under the sun as well, can actually come out of their shell and not be afraid to be themselves. In this sense, Millenials are truly a special and amazing bunch worth fighting for!
I disagree. I believe this leaves them naive. People without pride and conviction in their culture and way of life will not be strong enough to defend that way of life. With the rise of militant Islam, strength is going to be important. Suicide bombers do not care about tolerance or diversity.
Quote:
2) technology savy: They are tech savy and though some percent may not know some surprising historical fact, each and every one of these same people can "look it up" instantly and know the fact 5 seconds later and I mean know more about it 5 seconds later than any Older generation's quiz.
I disagree. This leads towards the serious lack of work ethic in the millennial generation. My wife was a grad student in the field of nontraditional education. One of the primary pressing problems in that field was this very problem. Millennials have come to expect things to come easily. They do not expect to have to follow orders, work hard, and maintain a competitive edge. They are having difficulty adjusting to work life after leaving school. Developing new methods of education to better motivate millennials to puth for the same effort as their older coworkers and to work in teams without expecting special consideration for their personal lives is one of the areas of research in education, so that millenials can be more successful in the workplace. The core curriculum being developed now for younger children is only going to exacerbate this problem.
Quote:
3) socialization w family and friends: They are closer with their parents and grandparents because with the recession they inherited, they have been living at home but also working and saving on rent. They prefer living more sustainably and unlike the older critics, realize that true space is that which brings everyone together "podcast, skype, Facebook, etc". And the Millenials in my view actually have it right. You see people who never had the chance to interconnect before, finding each other in this cyber world that is totally ignored by the generations that pick on Millenials
Uh, no. Your opinion here is not born out by social research. Social research indicates that the bonds between individuals are weakening, not strengthening. The younger generation is plagued with more depression, drug abuse, suicide, antisocial behavior, feelings of alienation, etc than previous generations. While communication has become fare more widespread and common than before, it has also become less personal. There never used to be things such as flash mobs, cyberbullying, the knockout game, mass shootings, etc and modern communication has caused less emphasis to be placed on community than in the past. While millennials may indeed have a greater social awareness of the world than previous generations, their connection to their immediate surroundings, the people they live and work with every day, is not as strong.
Quote:
4) earth first: Millenials use less paper, kill fewer trees, consume less factory-polluting furniture, use less electric because they live in smaller spaces and cherish the cyberspace instead, which runs on very little electric power compared to anything of previous generations
This is the advance of technology and has nothing to do with the generation itself. It also has serious negative effects as well, as I detailed above. Having cyberspace as a primary means of individuals interacting with each other has negative effects on human beings. Evolution does not happen overnight. It happens far, far slower than the advance of technology. Human society as a whole is suffering from the lack of direct human contact in some costly ways. Mental health is not as strong as it used to be across the spectrum of society. There is far more mental illness now than before.
Quote:
5) optimism: Millenials who are told they are full of themselves are so optimistic and confident that they accomplish things that other people give up on. They actually do things instead of just preach and find themselves making new apps, new changes in the workplace, spontaneous acts of kindness, helping people who would be misfits end up inside the inner circles of a great order that respects absolutely everyone as is. And lots of work among 20-somethings in the non-profit good works of our day
And none of this will mean a thing if Russia and China continue their path to ascendancy or the Muslims continue building their caliphate. None of it will mean a thing if the millennials act on their earth first policies and cripple this nation's economy while the other nations continue to pollute indiscriminately and gain a strategic advantage through doing so. I'm sorry to sound offensive, but we do not live in fantasyland. And if we act as if we do, we will stagnate and decline.
Quote:
I would not change the millennial generation and I love them and I don't care what older generations critics have to say. For the first time in centuries, guys and girls can embrace transgender love and get a yayyyyy for it and that alone makes me adore this generation. Nobody before them had the guts to break this kind of ice
No. The people before instead had the guts to go to war against Hitler, to tell Gorbachev to tear down that wall, to land on the moon in an American spacecraft rather than renting space on Russian spacecraft, to tell Muslim fanatics we would hunt them down to the ends of the earth rather than going to Cairo and making a speech apologizing to them, etc. I prefer smart, strong, determined youth with the strength of their convictions over new age hippies hugging trees and singing the praises of multiculturalism and sex with everyone.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I disagree. I believe this leaves them naive. People without pride and conviction in their culture and way of life will not be strong enough to defend that way of life. With the rise of militant Islam, strength is going to be important. Suicide bombers do not care about tolerance or diversity.
I disagree. This leads towards the serious lack of work ethic in the millennial generation. My wife was a grad student in the field of nontraditional education. One of the primary pressing problems in that field was this very problem. Millennials have come to expect things to come easily. They do not expect to have to follow orders, work hard, and maintain a competitive edge. They are having difficulty adjusting to work life after leaving school. Developing new methods of education to better motivate millennials to puth for the same effort as their older coworkers and to work in teams without expecting special consideration for their personal lives is one of the areas of research in education, so that millenials can be more successful in the workplace. The core curriculum being developed now for younger children is only going to exacerbate this problem.
Uh, no. Your opinion here is not born out by social research. Social research indicates that the bonds between individuals are weakening, not strengthening. The younger generation is plagued with more depression, drug abuse, suicide, antisocial behavior, feelings of alienation, etc than previous generations. While communication has become fare more widespread and common than before, it has also become less personal. There never used to be things such as flash mobs, cyberbullying, the knockout game, mass shootings, etc and modern communication has caused less emphasis to be placed on community than in the past. While millennials may indeed have a greater social awareness of the world than previous generations, their connection to their immediate surroundings, the people they live and work with every day, is not as strong.
This is the advance of technology and has nothing to do with the generation itself. It also has serious negative effects as well, as I detailed above. Having cyberspace as a primary means of individuals interacting with each other has negative effects on human beings. Evolution does not happen overnight. It happens far, far slower than the advance of technology. Human society as a whole is suffering from the lack of direct human contact in some costly ways. Mental health is not as strong as it used to be across the spectrum of society. There is far more mental illness now than before.
And none of this will mean a thing if Russia and China continue their path to ascendancy or the Muslims continue building their caliphate. None of it will mean a thing if the millennials act on their earth first policies and cripple this nation's economy while the other nations continue to pollute indiscriminately and gain a strategic advantage through doing so. I'm sorry to sound offensive, but we do not live in fantasyland. And if we act as if we do, we will stagnate and decline.
No. The people before instead had the guts to go to war against Hitler, to tell Gorbachev to tear down that wall, to land on the moon in an American spacecraft rather than renting space on Russian spacecraft, to tell Muslim fanatics we would hunt them down to the ends of the earth rather than going to Cairo and making a speech apologizing to them, etc. I prefer smart, strong, determined youth with the strength of their convictions over new age hippies hugging trees and singing the praises of multiculturalism and sex with everyone.
I like the sneaky dig at Obama, your conservatism can be smelled from a mile away. OP is right, plus your comment is all over the place. Say who had bin Laden killed. And bombing ISIS in Iraq, a nation invaded by a certain president?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I never get this interest in phony generations.

Of all the imaginary things, this is one of the ones I really don't understand.

You really think that people based on the year they were born have more in common with each other than the family they were born into, what part of the nation they were born, their ethnicity, etc and so on.

The sad reality is when we discuss generations we wipe out Americans who aren't white or upper middle class or home owners, or who practice a different religion, or a million other different things that matter to who a person is and who they will have the most in common with than what year they were born.

The baby boom was describing a real thing, not a generation, but sadly that has been bastardized and we get these vapid threads about this generation or that generation as if it is a real thing.

No offense to the OP. I really want to stress that I am not attacking the OP, but generations aren't real at least nit how we use them.

The millennial generation just like all so called generations learn how to be adults from older people, which means the usually end up being a lot like those who came before them.
Millenials are economically, socially, and culturally different than people born in the 70's to mid 80's.

in general, the term " generation" may be bastardized, but when it comes to millennial, it is about right.

My sister was born in 1979, i was born in 1992, while we love each other, shared a home,but we are culturally different.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
In other words, most millenials are up to their neck in student loan debt, have zero assets, have no problem mooching off of mom and dad, and are far left environmentalists not because they are green conscious, but because they don't actually have the financial resources to buy a house or furniture built with trees, buy cars, etc.

A bunch of self-absorbed, broke leeches. Yeah, that's a great outlook for America.
having a 400,000 mortgage in your 20s just means you are mooching off the bank instead of your parents. Either way, it aint your money.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
I am an ancient millennial but I like what I see in the 1990s born Millenials

1) tolerance and diversity: They are the first generation to see the best in their age group not just nationally, but worldwide, and making it so transgender and same-sex and those with any mental disorder under the sun as well, can actually come out of their shell and not be afraid to be themselves. In this sense, Millenials are truly a special and amazing bunch worth fighting for!

2) technology savy: They are tech savy and though some percent may not know some surprising historical fact, each and every one of these same people can "look it up" instantly and know the fact 5 seconds later and I mean know more about it 5 seconds later than any Older generation's quiz.

3) socialization w family and friends: They are closer with their parents and grandparents because with the recession they inherited, they have been living at home but also working and saving on rent. They prefer living more sustainably and unlike the older critics, realize that true space is that which brings everyone together "podcast, skype, Facebook, etc". And the Millenials in my view actually have it right. You see people who never had the chance to interconnect before, finding each other in this cyber world that is totally ignored by the generations that pick on Millenials

4) earth first: Millenials use less paper, kill fewer trees, consume less factory-polluting furniture, use less electric because they live in smaller spaces and cherish the cyberspace instead, which runs on very little electric power compared to anything of previous generations

5) optimism: Millenials who are told they are full of themselves are so optimistic and confident that they accomplish things that other people give up on. They actually do things instead of just preach and find themselves making new apps, new changes in the workplace, spontaneous acts of kindness, helping people who would be misfits end up inside the inner circles of a great order that respects absolutely everyone as is. And lots of work among 20-somethings in the non-profit good works of our day

I would not change the millennial generation and I love them and I don't care what older generations critics have to say. For the first time in centuries, guys and girls can embrace transgender love and get a yayyyyy for it and that alone makes me adore this generation. Nobody before them had the guts to break this kind of ice
You really believe this bullcrap, don't you? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies