Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:10 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Funny I would say you, with your views, are more a danger to society than him.
He's the one in prison -- Do the crime, do the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 06:33 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Exactly - throw the poor away, bankers their fine.
This is it in a nutshell. The poor in America cannot hire good lawyers and are easy to prosecute, police departments fill high quotas and prosecutors get rich. It's even easier when the poor are black.

Meanwhile, high level financial execs cheat all the time and they get bailouts and keep their unearned bonuses. They are rich and can afford deluxe legal teams so no one can touch them. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of Bernie Madoffs getting away with complex financial crimes that are difficult to prosecute. These crimes are at such a high level that they depress the economy, so the Americans who are happy to look the other way are fools. These financial institutions also launder money for drug cartels, and it is highly likely that they are supporting ISIS to an extent.

Happy cuz your mutual funds are doing OK returning say 7%, without the self-serving game playing on Wall Street, you'd be making 12%.

Let's quit picking on the little guys and go after white collar criminals America.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:56 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Banks money launder for bloody drug tyrants in Mexico responsible for thousands of deaths, sickens me.

$100 jacket?

Wake up people!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
You bring back sentences of shaming or physical punishment. Put him in stocks outside and let people jeer at him. Or take a leather strap to them and put it on video. With Youtube people will not want to be publicly humiliated, especially some young street punk who's trying to be tough.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You bring back sentences of shaming or physical punishment. Put him in stocks outside and let people jeer at him. Or take a leather strap to them and put it on video. With Youtube people will not want to be publicly humiliated, especially some young street punk who's trying to be tough.
I'd agree that would be better.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I see people all the time stopping to **** and have done so many times my self.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The "shoplifting" would have to be for enough money to be a felony. It take 3 felonies.
The shoplifting was for socks, mmkay?

Quote:
Three felonies -- a habitual dirtbag. The world is better off without him.
I will let the Vicar of Wakefield speak for me:

Quote:
Nor can I avoid even questioning the validity of that right which social combinations have assumed of capitally punishing offenses of a slight nature. In cases of murder their right is obvious, as it is the duty of us all from the law of self-defense to cut off that man who has shown a disregard the life of another. Against such nature rises in arms; but it is not so against him who steals my property." He adds later: "When by indiscriminate penal laws the nation beholds the same punishment affixed to dissimilar degrees of guilt, the people are led to lose all sense of distinction in the crime and this distinction is the bulwark of all morality"

Old 08-22-2014, 09:36 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The shoplifting was for socks, mmkay?
He wasn't sentenced for stealing socks. He was sentenced for being an incorrigible career criminal. If the last offense was for stealing sock, that certainly wasn't his worst offense. How many times did he steal and not get caught?

3 felonies is sufficient grace. Do the crimes do the time. He's a dirtbag who has no right to be free.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Late to this. Just wondering if it has been observed that this issue is seen only in America. I might be wrong about this, but America is probably the only First World Country where the prison system is for profit. It is not done as a public service to protect the common good, but as a for profit money making venture.

If you are a prison administrator or prison staff. Would you want to be locked up eight hours a day with violent, sociopathic, pieces of work, or would you want to have custody, care and control of mostly law abiding, peace loving individuals? More of the latter please, and thank you.

The very first prisons this country ever built were purely for the purpose of conscripting an unpaid labor force for southern states that had lost that economic advantage due to Emancipation. In addition to license plates, ALL the domestic furniture that is made by companies like Ashley, Broyhill and Emerald is crafted by inmates incarcerated in state prisons. Corrections officers, trainee and washout health professionals of various disciplines and numerous food services industies owe their very existence to the for profit warehousing of human beings known as the PIC (prison industrial complex).

Serial rapists, murderers and other kinds of social deviants do not make for an easily administered conscript workforce. The ongoing injustice of sentencing low level felons to long stretches will never be abolished until Emancipation is abolished and legal slavery is re-instituted.

H

Old 08-22-2014, 10:04 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
He wasn't sentenced for stealing socks. He was sentenced for being an incorrigible career criminal. If the last offense was for stealing sock, that certainly wasn't his worst offense.
So - his last strike was in fact shoplifting. I am so glad we got that straightened out.

Quote:
How many times did he steal and not get caught?
We should lock up people for crimes they have probably committed? Hmm, wasn't there some sort off document stressing the importance of stuff like "due process" and "presumption of innocence"? Could have sworn it used to be somewhat important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies