Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Is this for real? America the bastion of human rights my a$$. Absolutely shocking ..... and disturbing. Stealing a $100 jacket and getting life? You might aswell execute people for grand theft or assault no?

Over 3,000 US prisoners serving life without parole for non-violent crimes | World news | theguardian.com
He got life not because of stealing the jacket, but because this theft on top of his previous three convictions have shown he is incapable of living in civilized society, all he knows how to do is commit crime. He should be removed form society, he has shown he cannot participate in it. He is one less criminal off the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
But people in states with these laws are glad because it has brought crime under control, and is a contributing factor to the decreasing crime rates.

3 strikes is just that, the person after their third time obviously will not learn or care to live among civilized society.
That is good for them and i am sure they are glad... my state hasn't had an out of control crime problem so we never had the need to try this 3 strike thing...

Old 08-19-2014, 12:43 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
That's just the attitude I am so pleased we don't have here. Are you telling me a drug addict who steals on 3 occasions deserved life in prison? If so thank god I am not American. Or at least a Florida citizen. New York has gotten its crime under control - and they seem to be on the same page as us.

Quote:
He got life not because of stealing the jacket, but because this theft on top of his previous three convictions have shown he is incapable of living in civilized society, all he knows how to do is commit crime. He should be removed form society, he has shown he cannot participate in it. He is one less criminal off the street.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Fewer than half of American states have a 3-strikes law, though many states have sentencing guideline that permit longer sentences for habitual offenders.

Anyway, these laws are very controvesial, in part because it puts people in prison for petty offenses, and it tends to be very racially imbalanced. Basically it has become a de facto way to reduce the African-American population on the streets.

However, this is another good example of why foreigners should not perceive the U.S. as a monolith.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
That's just the attitude I am so pleased we don't have here. Are you telling me a drug addict who steals on 3 occasions deserved life in prison? If so thank god I am not American. Or at least a Florida citizen. New York has gotten its crime under control - and they seem to be on the same page as us.
NYC got its crime under control with its "broken glass" policy which still runs today, including the random stopping and searching of people based on profiling even though they are not doing anything wrong. However, seems to be one great deterrent.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Fewer than half of American states have a 3-strikes law, though many states have sentencing guideline that permit longer sentences for habitual offenders.

Anyway, these laws are very controvesial, in part because it puts people in prison for petty offenses, and it tends to be very racially imbalanced. Basically it has become a de facto way to reduce the African-American population on the streets.

However, this is another good example of why foreigners should not perceive the U.S. as a monolith.
How is it racially imbalanced? Are you saying race has something to do if someone commits three crimes? It is a genetic factor?

Old 08-19-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
That is good for them and i am sure they are glad... my state hasn't had an out of control crime problem so we never had the need to try this 3 strike thing...
Because you live in MN, you never had to deal with issues like having over 1000 people murdered a year in just one city like California for example did.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Because you live in MN, you never had to deal with issues like having over 1000 people murdered a year in just one city like California for example did.
Yes sorry, i didn't mean to come off as a snob btw...

Old 08-19-2014, 02:10 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Putting people in prison for life for stealing a jacket has nothing to do with curtailing the number of murders. Crime has fallen sharply in the UK since the early 1980s and we do not implement such idiotic measures here. Putting people in prison for life - for stealing - is going to ruin a person's life and probably turn them into a hardened criminal on the inside, meaning if they are ever lucky enough to be let out, they are going to be an even bigger danger to society upon release. The US has one of the worst re-offending rates in the developed world - compare and contrast to Norway's lenient stance and their low recidivism rate.

This idea of prisons being a place of punishment instead of rehabilitation is not helpful - it's scary in fact. People are so vengeful!

Old 08-19-2014, 03:26 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Exactly we are not talking murderer's here. I find it truly sad that a fairly normal person who has broken the law, minor laws, 3 times can be treated THAT badly from their fellow countrymen - absolutely crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies