Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Then let's pass a law that allows you to keep a gun at your shooting club and not your home.
Sure, right after we pass the law that says you can only speak freely while at a debate club meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
That's fine with me, but clearly an attempt to hijack the thread. You opened the door to people's reason for buying guns. Deal with it.
Wait... You suggest a law, which has nothing to do with the thread whatsoever (this is NOT a thread about gun control), and then when someone analogizes your off topic response, you claim that HE is trying to hijack the thread?

Wow. You have quite an ego.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

It's just amazing how you conservatives love to rhapsodize about your gun experiences, as if you're participating in some noble hobby that the rest of us will never get a chance to do.

It's just shooting a damn gun at a range. Nothing special about that.

I agree. Of course it is nothing special at all. Why in the world do liberals have such hatred for guns and the 2nd Amendment then?

"Rhapsodize about your gun experience"? It is not touting or bragging about the use of guns. Most of us just grew up shooting and hunting, so it is a part of our lives as much as other activities are a part of other people's lives.

Target shooting is fun, of course. However, I prefer hillbilly shooting at watermelons, pumpkins, and shaken pop cans, which is forbidden at gun ranges. Belt feds, tracers and incindiaries are forbidden as well at most gun ranges.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
First, the black hair girl is hot, and this video didn't really prove much other than it is good for people to know how guns function.

as an Instructor, I would have never started them on a 9mm or a 12 ga. shotgun. I would have started them on 22 LR and moved them up from there.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:20 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times
Thumbs up Liberals shoot guns for the 1st time

Good video.

As with so many things someone dislikes but is ignorant of, some familiarization goes a long way towards tamping down that dislike.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Handguns kept at home in an urban environment accomplish no useful societal purpose.
Interesting you say that. We just got a call from my sister in law, who lives in the house next door, and she just woke up to find an (apparently) mentally disturbed woman inside her home. When confronted, the woman took off, but she could have just as easily turned violent.

Just got another call (phone rang as I was finishing the last sentence) and the police are there now. So is the woman - she was sitting on the front lawn.

I'm very thankful that this woman didn't get violent. My SIL is disabled and can barely stand or walk. There's no way she could fend off an attacker, regardless of their size or strength.

So there's a real world example - that's unfolding as we debate - of a situation that could have easily ended up requiring a defensive weapon.

Oh, and for the record, I live smack dab in the middle of the Las Vegas valley. It doesn't get any more urban than that.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:31 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Interesting you say that. We just got a call from my sister in law, who lives in the house next door, and she just woke up to find an (apparently) mentally disturbed woman inside her home. When confronted, the woman took off, but she could have just as easily turned violent.

Just got another call (phone rang as I was finishing the last sentence) and the police are there now. So is the woman - she was sitting on the front lawn.

I'm very thankful that this woman didn't get violent. My SIL is disabled and can barely stand or walk. There's no way she could fend off an attacker, regardless of their size or strength.

So there's a real world example - that's unfolding as we debate - of a situation that could have easily ended up requiring a defensive weapon.

Oh, and for the record, I live smack dab in the middle of the Las Vegas valley. It doesn't get any more urban than that.
It's good that your sister-in-law didn't have a gun. She would have regretted shooting a mentally disturbed person if like many amateur gun owners, she panicked and resorted to the use of force rather than call 911.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I am a financial liberal. I am also in favor of universal firearm ownership. I believe owning and knowing how to use firearms by everyone would result in far fewer crimes and assaults.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
It's good that your sister-in-law didn't have a gun. She would have regretted shooting a mentally disturbed person if like many amateur gun owners, she panicked and resorted to the use of force rather than call 911.
Or she could have been raped and killed just as easily, but good thing she didn't have a gun!!!!1!1!!11

It is better waiting for the national average 11 minute response time from police than defending yourself. When life and death are seconds apart the police are only 11 minutes away.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Well since I have my own range I guess I and many others would simply open "official" shooting clubs
Not much point in owning a gun to protect my family and home if I have to drive to a shooting club to get them, even though it still might take less time than waiting on the police to show up.

I understand you are trying to suggest alternatives that would reduce gun violence but you are started on the wrong end of the issue, the violence being committed is on the other end of the path, you know where the criminals are that keep committing crimes using guns. Get the guns out of the hands of criminals and maybe fewer Americans would feel they need to them for protection from criminals.

This Left Leaning American has no intentions of every giving up his rights, and I am far from alone in that stand on our rights. Being that that is the case which means gun rights are here to stay it might be better to spend your energy on finding ways to reduce gun violence instead of focusing on those that are not committing the violence.
Best post you've ever written, Casper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies