Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I would probably agree with that. Notice the bolded italicized parts.

But let me change it just a bit:

I absolutely do not agree with that. There are people who cultivate and revel in being threatening or thought of as threatening, whether or not they would actually act on the implication of threat. This can be by appearance or by what is said or both.

There's a guy at work who has been making noise about the coming revolution when whiteys like me will run for our lives. He said he's a "bad mother******" and will "f*** me up." None of this is tongue-in-cheek or ironic or said with a knowing wink. He wants to appear as genuine and threatening and righteous as possible. He definitely cultivates the dangerous, 'could go off at any time,' 'ready to kill us all' aspect of his personality and our perception. Would he actually do anything? Dunno, probably not, but he enjoys the intimidation and the threats and making us think he's crazy and dangerous.
thats pretty telling. Your employer ought to have some kind of policies against this kind of talk. I would not be alone with him ever. but you know you will be accused of profiling.

I'm not surprised, because the other news about ISIS is pretty threatening and they said they are coming to america, so he could be some kind of terrorist or terrorist sympathizer.

I would be on the safe side and take his threats seriously. And then report him anonymously.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
You just dont get it.
Please explain your thoughts.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,290 times
To me, its all about perception.

Missouri Highway Patrol Capt. Ron Johnson is not a gang member. He’s just a Kappa. - The Washington Post

Officers can use deadly force is they feel their life is threatened. But might their perception of what is threatening be irrational, or based on stereotypes? I think in many of these shootings the officers legitimately feel threatened. But should they be? And might that be the root of the problem here? The kid most likely wasnt killed because he was black. But is it possible the officer had an irrational fear(maybe based on the way media portrays certain groups) and took deadly force? Would this officer have felt threatened if the kid was another race? What if he was wearing a suit? Are certain groups more susceptible to this irrational fear?

These perceptions affect all institutions. It affects you in school. it affects you when you go to a job interview. When a jury decides your fate. And i don't think its always a race issue. People of a lower social class might be on the wrong side of this as well. I think the more people from different races, socio economic levels interact, the more people can form their perceptions based on actual interactions as opposed to the way a group might be perceived in the media. But the less that happens... the more incidents like this will occur.

I hope people realize how they are being perceived. And i hope people acknowledge when they might have misjudged a person or a situation or reacted differently because of what someone looked like.

And really this is only one factor in a very complicated problem.

I hope things change.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Ok lets say he did give the police officer injuries. The facts still doesn't go away the BROWN had his hands in the air saying dont shoot right?
Not a fact

Quote:
basically this is what i think happen. Cop was driving down the street, told both of the teens to get the heck out the street, brown cursed him out, cop put in reverse almost hit them as reported, asked what did you say, brown got smart, cop grabbed him threw the window and they struggled, brown cocked the police officer in the face.
Just think about how possible that really is... a 6'4 man was grabbed around the neck by a guy who was sitting inside his vehicle? And he was able to get a good enough grip around the man's neck to pull him through the window?

Quote:
Cop get his ego hurt and is upset. Cop grab gun shot once through the door and miss as reported. brown and his friend runs. cops get out of car runs after them and shoot off a few. Brown get on the ground hands up and said dont show I give up. At this point the cop is hot headed and ego hurt and he shoots brown 4 more times
No

Quote:
Now there is also video of the cop next to brown body, cop had no visible injuries nor did he ask for an ambulance after 5 hours.
I keep seeing this commented on, but haven't seen the video that is being referenced. How do you know an ambulance didn't come even after 5 hours? I heard that the officer was taken away from the scene almost immediately. Which would make more sense.

Quote:
You cant deny the facts
But you can make them up I see

Quote:
I'm not saying brown was a saint, but nobody should die over what he did. Cops need to control their anger
If he did indeed try to take the officer's gun, fractured his face and then tried to bum rush the officer, then the officer did what he had to do to defend his own life.

Quote:
another thing cops are trained shooters. all the hits on brown was on his arms, top of head and eye. And why does it take 9 shots to take down 1 person? the other shots missed and hit the nearby apartments. If somebody is charging you how do you miss and hit other apartments especially if the person is charging in a downward position
Because he was a moving target. This happened in real life. There was no movie magic that gave the officer legendary shooting skills.
Quote:
Also Brown was 6'4 cop was 5'10. Brown have had to be running on his hands to get shot on top of head while charging

Once again we cant deny the facts.
And making them up is still so much fun, I see.

Quote:
No other "REAL" news media is reporting wilson got a fracture which is untrue especially since they got video of him talking acting normal after the shooting and no injuries
Its in the mainstream media's best interest to keep this story going for as long as possible. If they starting coming out with facts about how the officer had every reason to shoot people would stop caring so much about the protests.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
You can "like" the page without commenting and I don't think anyone can see a list of who liked the page. But I agree about commenting on a public board where everyone can see everything about you.

But many are commenting and now arguing on that page . They post their picture, their full name(many are unique) and location. That's what I am talking about.

It's one thing to come CD and have a difference of opinion, where if it gets too heated it is removed. FB is open season. I took a look at several of the comments and you now have people arguing over this issue.

Whose to say they won't end up at your door when you post all you business online?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
OK, fair enough...I'll try again. I was thinking about some posts about the officer "pacing" and not doing anything else after the shooting...one of the witnesses was perplexed about this.

So was I. So, I put my medical hat on, and began to think solely from THAT angle. Thinking about the human body's response to trauma. To fear. To data. To history. To whatever was going on in the officer's mind.

As such, I explained, very briefly, about the "flight or fight" response, the officer's fear and pain from being attacked, that he may have been on "autopilot" during the shooting, and then was walking around, "pacing", in what looked like shock to me.

Being a scientist/medical professional, I believe that understanding some of these aspects may shed some light on this incident. Wouldn't you want to know any additional information such as this, that might help explain this incident?

Rationalizing? You're assuming that, and you're incorrect. As I said twice before, that's NOT the case! Please don't assume what I'm thinking or my motive.

I was trying to figure out what the heck went on here, in this vacuum of information, the widely differing witness accounts, and the media circus along with Sharpton and Jackson fanning the flames of the racism angle instead of trying to gather the facts and any additional information first. As well as any other contributing factors.

So, I think any reasonable person would try to discover and understand what other or additional things may have contributed to this unfortunate incident...besides OR in addition to, the speculation and accusation that this is purely a racist incident!

No one is holding anything against YOU or making assumptions about you. You're the one who specifically challenged what I was saying, made assumptions about me, misinterpreted my statements, and came up with the erroneous conclusion that I am "using statistics to rationalize" my "thought process, but that doesn't make it right". Again, NOT rationalizing, and as I just said above, I was speaking about the medical/physiologic response to being attacked, fear, and what could have been in the officer's mind.

Statistics are a curious thing...yes, they can be also misinterpreted, as well as skewed. However, after doing a google search, time and again, the results were all similar. If I know statistically that smoking will lessen my life by 10 years, I won't smoke. As a female, statistically, I have a 20 to 26% chance of being raped in my lifetime. YOU BET I'll do my best to mitigate my chance of being raped by being aware of my surroundings, not walking alone at night, locking my doors, etc. So, in many cases, statistics DO matter...they DO change my decisions...they DO determine where I go, with whom, and at what time of the day or night.

As I said, I was shocked to see the amount of violent crime perpetrated by young black males (50% of the 18-23 year old population), and wondered if this officer had any of this data in the back of his mind, adding to his fear or confusion in addition to the above contributing factors.

I also was shocked to see the comparison between the types of crime between young males of the two races, as well as the fact that black-on-white crime is hugely disproportionate than the other way around. THIS is disturbing as well.

Knowing these statistics, yes, I WILL be wary of young black men, especially those in a group (refer to the "groupthink mentality" I spoke about in my previous post. I will ALSO be wary of a group of young white males for the same reason.

However, the likelihood of a violent crime perpetrated by a black man IS much more so than a white man. These stats are in the back of my mind, and as a result, I WILL be careful where I go. I won't go into predominately black neighborhoods. Those are just the facts.

I don't know how else I can explain this, and if you refuse to understand the reality of the amount of crime by young men, and violent crime by young black men, well, I can't say anything else.

As far as your statement, " It's much easier to be a small female of just about any race than to be a black man in this country", I think that's quite a loaded, untrue statement, and another completely erroneous assumption by you.

You have no idea what it's like being female. Being afraid of practically everywhere you go...the fear of abduction, sexual assault, and murder. It's "open season" on women.

Approximately 66 young girls are kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and killed every year. I've already commented on the rape stats.

***The National Domestic Violence Statistics report that a woman is beaten every 15 seconds in this country. Every day, 4 women die, and 3 children die as a result of abuse or attacks by men. (from: National Statistics) .

So, you see, it's no picnic being female in this country, either.

Look, the bottom line here regarding Brown and the officer, is that it's a more complicated incident than what people realize or are willing to admit. Until we do, and until we delve into every aspect of this, including racism and what I've noted above, the acrimony and violence will continue. I, for one, do not want it to continue...

-Dandiday
I want you to understand that it's really hard to follow your points given how long your posts are so if I misinterpret anything you have said, I apologize but it's a lot to digest.

If you are afraid of everywhere you go, then you are again proving my point. I don't think you get it and I don't think you will get it, that is not rational behavior. Why are you fearful? What are you fearful of? Should you take precautions? Sure, but fearful? Why?

It's open season on women? I certain do not condone any type of attacks on women but what you are saying is hyperbole. What does this even have to do with what we are talking about? I thought we were talking about threatening men? Now you are talking about women being raped and you don't see why this is irrational? Have you noticed I am the only person responding to your posts?

I am not trying to assume anything about you. You are speculating and I believe it's irresponsible, that is why I am calling it out. No reasonable person is going to trying to psychoanalyze why this police officer did what he did, at least not without having all the information. We haven't heard anything from him, so it's just about impossible at this point. We don't know why he did what he did. He's probably the only one who knows the truth. I am not going to sit here and try to decide if what he did was right or wrong without having all the facts. I just think it's ridiculous to try to figure out why he could have done what he did. You don't know the real reason and neither do I.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:44 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
If you feel as though you have to do that to protect yourself, then I personally don't blame you, but there are going to be people who you may become defensive around who will be offended. Although that maybe your thought process, all I am saying is understand where the innocent will come from. No one who is a upstanding citizen wants to be thought of as threatening to another person just based on their appearance, at least I would hope not.

The problem with discussions on race relations is that while what you're saying (No one who is a upstanding citizen wants to be thought of as threatening to another person just based on their appearance) is often brought to the table reasons for why it occurs is usually avoided by the likes of Sharpton, Obama and E. Holder.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But many are commenting and now arguing on that page . They post their picture, their full name(many are unique) and location. That's what I am talking about.
Most of the people commenting on that page are probably already commenting about the incident to their own friends and family, or in the comments sections of the news stories. They're probably not saying anything there that they haven't already said elsewhere on Facebook.

Quote:
Whose to say they won't end up at your door when you post all you business online?
People don't typically post their address on Facebook. You might have a general idea of where they live, but not enough to show up at their door. And maybe certain people need to stay off Facebook if they get so worked up over what someone posts that they are banging down peoples' doors.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 PM

311 posts, read 56,803 times
Brown mustve been running on both his arms and feet when he was shot in the head.. i mean.. that tall of a person compared to officer wilson, there is no way wilson would be able to shot im on the head cus of his height. One of the witnesses said, Brown bowed his head when he was about to surrender, when he was shot in the head. this would be more understanable on how Officer Wilson couldve shot him in the head in that angle.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The problem with discussions on race relations is that while what you're saying (No one who is a upstanding citizen wants to be thought of as threatening to another person just based on their appearance) is often brought to the table the reasons for why they occur are usually avoided by the likes of Sharpton, Obama and E. Holder.
What makes you think they are avoided? Or Maybe you just don't like or agree with the reasons they have given in the past.

The problem with these discussions are that people from both sides often dismiss and sometimes dont fully absorb/understand what the other side is trying to convey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies