Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 06:58 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

These animals killed such a kind, peace loving, generous journalist who gave his life trying to expose the world to the suffering of Syrian people.

I think these terrorist sent a message to the world, they don't want peace, they never want peace, the more you try to help the middle Eastern people, the more f**ed you are going to be. They don't even leave this journalist any dignity.

As a peace loving American, I can honestly say I don't care about the "civilians" in the middle East. Enough is enough. Either we go to the war to win, or just leave them the hell alone.

These people are freaking animals!!!

My heart goes out to his family. What a horrible trauma do they have to endure ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UpWn1XPVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 07:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
My take is this:

If Mr Foley wouldn't have put himself in the path of a runaway train, he wouldn't have been run over by it.

Tragic? Certainly. Avoidable? Absolutely.

Taking risks like that is a personal decision.
Again, not blaming the victim, here.

The journalist had previously been held captive in Libya and still decided to go back into a war zone, an atypical response. The chase of the story, danger and risk can be intoxicating, addictive.

He's been missing for going on 2 years, now. Who knows when he was killed?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
I'm hopeful this thread does not immediately degenerate into political side-taking and name calling.

Mr. Foley seemed to be a good person, and a courageous Journalist.

My immediate reaction is to vaporize everyone we can remotely identify as affiliated with the group that did this.
Agreed. Their top guys have been talking a lot of junk on YouTube and Twitter. They always call for the destruction of America and the West, etc. I just think it would be to the better interest of everyone on Earth if we just killed these guys. They are neither people with a grievance or actual Muslims or even terrorists. They're savage criminals.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
My response should not be taken as support of these people but it comes to mind that many posting here have lamented the destruction of the indigenous populations of the US. What really is the difference between them and ISIS. If there would have been internet available you better believe the Indians would have been broadcasting some bad crap...There may be some religious differences but the foundational difficulty in both examples stems from our desire to change someone's culture.... The main problem with punishing those responsible today is that we have lost the will/stomach to destroy them as we did the American Indians.....

Old 08-20-2014, 07:23 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Then it is time for THOSE non-Muslims and innocent people to stand up and oppose them. Iraq has 31 million people. If they really opposed ISIS, ISIS would be defeated. Instead, many embrace these animals, what they do and what they promote.

Not our country
Not our problem
Not worth the life of an American serviceman

We can not defeat an insurgent, terrorist group. We tried in Viet Nam and failed. We tried in Iraq-failed. Afghanistan? Same. Better to just let them have the countries that embrace them. Now...if they ARE the state-as opposed to a terrorist group, and attack us, it is an act of war. We then attack that country and defeat them unconditionally, like we did with Japan and Germany. If they don't attack us...see above. This will end when the people in those countries have had enough and stand up to the animals. Until then...not.

Amen!

Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Thanks to George W. Bush, Americans cannot go anywhere in the Middle East, they are targeted. And now that Iraq has become a terrorist haven since he completely obliterated the only government capable of maintaining order in the country, it has morphed into Syria as well. Do you think Saddam would have allowed ISIS to run unchecked across Iraq?

Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld, I'm all in favor of trading these three to ISIS for the remaining American journalist held hostage.
When are decisions made by Obama become obamas fault he has been in charge of foreign policy for 6 years , you mean in 6 years. He did nothing to change foreign policy? So if he has done nothing to change bush policies the why not blame Obama for not changing course. If you disagree and claim Obama changed the course of foreign policy why do you the. Blame bush

Old 08-20-2014, 07:27 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Don't bring facts into a discussion when people are whining about Obama.

Stupid move by ISIS. They gain nothing by this but just polarize Americans against their position.
That is one thing those guys don't understand. Theoretically (not in practice, though), a group like this could hope to get at least some modicum of tacit understanding of their position from some here in America and other parts of the West. But savage acts like this polarize even the most liberal against them. If someone like me, who sympathizes with Muslim grievances in general, wants these guys nuked (and I literally mean that), they have no hope for any sympathy from anyone here.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:31 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That is one thing those guys don't understand. Theoretically (not in practice, though), a group like this could hope to get at least some modicum of tacit understanding of their position from some here in America and other parts of the West. But savage acts like this polarize even the most liberal against them. If someone like me, who sympathizes with Muslim grievances in general, wants these guys nuked (and I literally mean that), they have no hope for any sympathy from anyone here.
amen! My thought exactly!

I have defended moderate and peace loving Muslims here once in this forum. (I still am hoping there are peaceful Muslims) But I honestly just stopped caring. If the people in middle east don't condemn terrorists, they support it. It is simple like that.

"The religious objectives laid out by Isis are also attractive to Iraqi Sunnis. The insurgents' extreme violence is framed as religious cleansing – wiping out the Shia imams and believers from the holy cities of Najaf and Karbala.

As the New York Times has noted: "Mass execution has been meshed with the use of religious symbolism by the insurgents".

And while Isis's insistence on adherence to extreme conservative conventions may appear harsh to outsiders, the clarity and simplicity of Sharia law is always going to appeal most to downtrodden and insecure communities, like Iraq's poorer Arab Sunnis, who tend to prefer robust law and order to instability."

http://www.newstatesman.com/internat...port-isis-iraq

They can blame American foreign policy all day long, they still cannot deny that isis is appealing to them because of religion.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Murder is murder. Beheading is just showmanship by a bunch of murderers.

The video seems to be a "bring it on" taunt. They want a response and will use it as a recruiting tool.

Who benefits if the US goes in?
Who benefits if the US withdraws?

It seems the rest of the world has no interest.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,012,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
One of the main reasons he was elected was the American people wanted a different direction than war without long term thought. So if you want to blame the real reaon blame democracy since we the American people were allowed to vote him in, which I didn't vote for him but just sayin'........

So who's folly really created the mess? Going there with the simpleton idea of spreading democracy I think. Gee democracy allowed Obama to get in power, yet some of you want to spread democracy in the middle east and are taken back when they vote in a religious extreme regime.
So, to be clear, I don't think there are any simple answers here. That said, it was Obama's decision to vacate the area before the conditions had been established to allow a sustainable democracy that created the vacuum that enabled these animals to thrive and come to power.

If you are going to argue that the policy of trying to create a society based on freedom and democracy in the middle east as a way to counter the threat from these terror based countries, then I think we need to suggest alternative ways of dealing with that threat.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies