Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Not uncommon when ESL programs are in place. Google Translator plus an editor and voilà!

Bilingual educators in schools where students are being taught to be bilingual. THE HORROR!
ESL Instruction is not bilingual instruction. Those are two separate programs.

I am ESL certified and I speak no foreign language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 05:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
ESL Instruction is not bilingual instruction. Those are two separate programs.

I am ESL certified and I speak no foreign language.
I didn't say they were one in the same. Bilingualism speaks to the diversity of the staff.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they were one in the same.
Then why are you talking about bilingual educators in your last post along with "THE HORROR" next to it ?

ESL Instruction is not bilingual instruction.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Then why are you talking about bilingual educators in your last post along with "THE HORROR" next to it ?
An effect of ESL is bilingual children, is it not? I didn't say that students would be taught by educators who were all bilingual and that the curriculum would be taught by someone who speaks more than one language. Bilingualism in adult teachers is just a potential sign of diversity, which speaks to the other requirements you listed for the school.

Quote:
ESL Instruction is not bilingual instruction.
I didn't say it was.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I didn't say they were one in the same. Bilingualism speaks to the diversity of the staff.
You can have non Hispanic White people speaking Arabic who can be a competent teachers.
That's not what holder wants.

He wants teachers of Arabic descent. That is in the article.

IMHO Holder went a bit overboard on the diversity mandate.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
You can have non Hispanic White people speaking Arabic who can be a competent teachers.

Quite possibly. We'll just have to look forward to the lawsuits by all the Arabic-speaking Hispanic White people who were unjustly denied employment.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:22 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,237 times
Quote:

why do we trip over ourselves to accommodate things like this? Jews send their kids to Yeshiva for immersion in Hebrew. Catholics send their kids to parochial school for immersion in Catholicism. Islamic countries have masdrassas. Let them build some here and pay for their kids to be taught in Arabic and have Arab teachers.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Quite possibly. We'll just have to look forward to the lawsuits by all the Arabic-speaking Hispanic White people who were unjustly denied employment.
Sadly there aren't even that many Hispanic bilingual teachers for Spanish speaking students.
Many of them are White.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Sadly there aren't even that many Hispanic bilingual teachers for Spanish speaking students.
Many of them are White.
That was sort of my point about the lawsuits. But it also illustrates how stupid Holder is. He didn't have to articulate the diversity requirement in the way that he did. It would have naturally gone that way.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
That was sort of my point about the lawsuits. But it also illustrates how stupid Holder is. He didn't have to articulate the diversity requirement in the way that he did. It would have naturally gone that way.
Holder may have given them the grounds to get H1-B teachers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies