Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

not entirely. if you can dodge the bullets and knives and keep your weapon in the holster, you can draw a great pension @ age 50. its like the military, many never get there. but what you said about thankless is true. 19% of americans are felons. they dont like the police. they often post here. i have been on CDF for awhile, what is facinating is it does not matter the scenario, any and all police actions are considered wrong by CDF felons. inaction, under action, overaction, low use of force, high use of force, it does not matter what the cops does, its all wrong. if the cop walks in the door, he is wrong.
its just like the welfare department if you go see the client you are wrong when you show your face. whenever the police are called to the poor urban areas, trust me its a complaint and write up. and then they post on CDF and complain that the cops dont come when they are called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
No....it's not all or nothing! But you're saying that MOST of them are bad! So now you know all the cops.......
Do tell where I said 'most of them are bad' from which you ASSume that "I know all the cops".

You really DO see the world in terms of black and white.

It's not. It's all shades of gray. 50 shades to be exact.

I work with police officers all the time. Most of them are very helpful. Some of them are corrupt.

You know nothing about me or what I think about 'all the cops' so please keep those thoughts to yourself.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Would you rather there be no police?
This is exactly what many conservatives on here argue. They've essentially tilted so far right that they end up with anarchy.

The narrative is this: the Constitution makes everyone free, blah, blah, so no one has the right to stop you or make you do anything you don't want - so there go all laws out the window, along with their enforcers. Furthermore, everyone has the right to be armed to the teeth with anything they want and use lethal force anytime they want - so justice is to be vigilantism, decided by whoever can draw first and fire the lethal shot.

That is conservative utopia. No place for cops in it.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I don't worry about it since I am not out robbing stores or bum rushing police.
I don't see the logic in this thinking.

The level of power given to police officers to take a life is every citizen's concern.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
It's an appropriate comparison! Surely the setting is different. But tell me something....would you run towards or away from a gun fight?? Would you approach a vehicle that's been reported stolen with a driver still in it?? You think the owner of that vehicle wants his car back ?? Guess who's trying to get it back for him?

I would if it were part f my job description.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:36 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
The benefits are good and they start you at 35k

Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I would wager most people still respect and think highly of most officers. It is a dangerous, relatively low paid, and often thankless occupation.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Plus how many jobs pay that well with deluxe benefit packages while requiring, more often than not, limited education from the applicant?

How does this job pay that well. What deluxe package are you talking about. And how much education do you think a police officer should have...high school, college...what? Are you saying someone with a limited amount of education should not have a gun. You are talking about a lot of our population then and they have guns. lol

Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
It's sad that the lowest classes of people think the police are there to mediate domestic disputes and keep them from killing each other, but if you are law-abiding citizen you'll likely NEVER benefit from the police force. On the other hand, you and your family members will probably pay a TON of money in traffic tickets no matter how well you drive, since it's such an easy source of money for insatiable local governments.

I would like to think cops had honor, but those beliefs have been crushed by personal experience. Despite being a conservative driver, I found out that when cops are under pressure to meet the (unofficial) quotas for traffic tickets (like at the end of each fiscal quarter), they have no problem simply lying and saying they clocked you doing "X" mph--when you didn't. Or if you were speeding, they add a few mph to kick you into a higher fine category. They count on the fact that 99% of people pay the huge fine and won't even try to contest it. NOTE--YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CONTEST SPEEDING TICKETS--WHETHER YOU WERE SPEEDING OR NOT! Half the time the cop won't show up; and 100% of the time you'll get less of a fine or punishment.

Remember, speed limits are arbitrary: they are often set at the speed where 85% of the people would drive, meaning good drivers can easily exceed them without any safety risk. And much of the time the speed limit is much lower than that, simply to maximize fines or to satisfy locals who like low speed limits so their kids can play in the street. It's a joke that speeding fines are about safety and not revenue--it is the DIFFERENCE in speed between the fastest and slowest cars on the rose that cause safety problems. Why don't we go after those driving FAR TOO SLOW for traffic, instead of just those going over the arbitrary speed limit? One person going too slow on the highway is FAR MORE LIKELY to cause an accident, than everyone going 10 or 15 mph over the speed limit. To impose huge fines on drivers who present no safety risk, to ignore those who REALLY do cause safety concerns, and to make almost everyone in the population a law-breaker, is beyond stupid.

Some people think the police "keep order" and help keep the crime rate down. Not so. After experiencing the devastation of several hurricanes in Florida, I know that all the police can disappear for long periods of time, and the vast majority of people wouldn't even notice (unless you live in the crime-ridden inner city, where lack of police is a great excuse to vandalize and riot even more). Normal people don't refrain from crime, or drive slower or better, because there are cops around.

I'm sure there have been cases of cops being nice to citizens, but I've lived 50 years and not once has a police officer protected me, or helped me, or bothered investigating when I was a victim of crime (a car stolen, houses broken into, etc.)--let alone arrested any of the perpetrators. Even when I asked, the cops couldn't even bother to give me a ride home when I was 23 and alone (spouse stationed overseas) and my car got stolen--even though at least 20 men lounged around the police station chatting with each other.

In another eye-opening incident, thank heavens I was driving when my elderly father's car battery died in horrendous traffic, coming from the Boston funeral of his beloved sister on a Friday before a 3-day weekend. I called a mechanic friend who jumped in his car and rushed to bring us a new battery. Even though the car was safely off the road, I had to go to ridiculous lengths to talk the cop into waiting a few minutes before he called a tow truck company that would tow the car to a holding lot. He was so insistent--giving me a 15 minute deadline for my friend to arrive--that I couldn't figure out what was going on. It was only later that I heard about another person who had fallen victim to this scam--the tow truck company charges five times the normal rate, and the storage lot charges ten times the normal rate (and won't answer the phones so the fees rack up). I'm now certain the cop's insistence was related to the kickback he would have gotten. My 85-year old father would have likely been charged more than his yearly Social Security check, just to get his car back.

So why would anyone ever want to be a cop today? This is why: cops are paid VERY, VERY, VERY WELL, and on top of that they have EXTREMELY generous pensions and benefits packages (even better, compensation and benefits do nothing but INCREASE every year, on top of raises related to performance and longevity).

Supposedly we must compensate them so much because it's a "dangerous" job. Trouble is, it isn't very dangerous (and if you factor out the cops killed in car crashes, usually chasing speeders in order to impose big fines, it's one of the safest of all professions). Police and firefighters have a rate of about 16.7 on-the-job deaths annually per 100,000 workers. It's hard to find another field with that LOW a death rate--grounds maintenance workers (the guys with the weedwackers and leaf blowers) are about the same. Construction Laborers have 21.4 deaths per 100,000. Truck drivers have 27.2 deaths per 100,000. Farmers and Ranchers have 37.2 deaths per 100,000. Fishers and related Fishing Workers have 147.2 deaths per 100,000 (Police & Firefighter work dangerous? Yes. And no. - Richard Rider - Open Salon).

So do all those more dangerous professions get a huge increase in benefits to make up for the danger? Hardly. Yet these people certainly pay through the nose in taxes to support the cops who hide in speed traps and prey on them every time they get on the road.

Want to know the REAL reason cops (and firefighters) are paid so well? Because any local politician who tries to rein in the ever-expanding budgets of the police or fire department will be told in no uncertain terms just why he'd better not say a word other than "approved" when their budget discussions come up. Even the most Libertarian politician will give up fighting for the taxpayer, when he is pulled aside by a cop and told that continued opposition will get him and his family members very expensive speeding tickets every time they leave the house. Same thing when he is pulled aside by firefighter, who confides that he can expect his house to "accidentally" catch fire some night when his family is sleeping, and that when it happens all the fire trucks will somehow be "unavailable" to respond.

Aside from very high pay and unbelievably high pensions in places like NH and Mass., there are other (unspoken) perks to being a cop: free police car and gas; no speeding or parking tickets no matter how dangerously you drive (even if you cause an accident and hurt someone--ask me about that one!); a "get out of jail free" card for almost any crime; the ability to harass and give out expensive tickets to anyone you want (and they won't dare retaliate), etc.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

How does this job pay that well. What deluxe package are you talking about. And how much education do you think a police officer should have...high school, college...what? Are you saying someone with a limited amount of education should not have a gun. You are talking about a lot of our population then and they have guns. lol

John Jay has a GREAT educational program for law enforcement.

Benes are great: Good pensions, very inexpensive Health Insurance, early retirement and pension limits.

As for gun ownership, I would not favor requiring education, but to be a cop, I would require it. That would eliminate folks taking the job just because they cannot make that salary elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies