Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
They're registered voters and this grand jury was selected in May.
I have this suspicion we're going to get told this method is "unfair".

*pops an aspirin*

Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
At what point in an altercation between Police and a citizen, when you clearly see something going wrong should you have the right to intervene? At this point it clearly seems that some are only concerned about the safety of the Police in our society. Meanwhile there are hundreds of Americans who are having their rights violated and who are victims of Police harassment, misconduct, brutality etc.

What defense do the American people have against the Police? The protests may be dying down but there has still not been solutions placed on the table.

Having a bigger representation in the local government would definitely help. I'd like to know how they select their grand jury.
All citizens who are acting lawfully have built in defenses to police misconduct. those trainings and videos are available online. It is instructive and helpful. I would think that basic rules of social interaction will always help. Being polite but firm. If in your vehicle asking to drive to a well lit area to be interviewed not on the side of the roadway. Requesting the officers identifying information. No person likes to get in trouble and a police officer has authority over him/her. Knowing this you have always the right to appeal a decision so in the moment cooperate. If you feel threatened and are not being detained or arrested, ask to leave. If they say "no" ask if you are under arrest or why you are not being allowed to leave. Again, your resource is the laws. If MB had behaved in this way he most likely would not be dead.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
All citizens who are acting lawfully have built in defenses to police misconduct. those trainings and videos are available online. It is instructive and helpful. I would think that basic rules of social interaction will always help. Being polite but firm. If in your vehicle asking to drive to a well lit area to be interviewed not on the side of the roadway. Requesting the officers identifying information. No person likes to get in trouble and a police officer has authority over him/her. Knowing this you have always the right to appeal a decision so in the moment cooperate. If you feel threatened and are not being detained or arrested, ask to leave. If they say "no" ask if you are under arrest or why you are not being allowed to leave. Again, your resource is the laws. If MB had behaved in this way he most likely would not be dead.
That may work if your white or have money.

And that's not me being slick. Just honest.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
That may work if your white or have money.

And that's not me being slick. Just honest.
I'm not "White" and grew up in ghetto poverty.

Before I entered the workforce (in the criminal justice field) or attained my 2 degrees in CJ I took upon myself to learn the ways of my enemies (anyone not me).

So how is it I managed to go thru my entire life without ever getting even a ticket? Hell, I've only got one written warning.

And I've come across my fair share of bad cops.

Interestingly enough, the last time I was pulled over (last summer while visiting folks in Ohio...an all-"White", very rich burb) the officer actually thanked me for how well I followed instructions and how I conducted myself.

Most have my whole life. Now I'm middle class and probably a better driver (pulled over less) but all this points to your narrative being a little off...to be kind.

You gotta stop being a victim. I've been thru too much crap in my life as indicated by my background. I'm not going down or throwing it all away by not outsmarting a potentially a-hole cop.

It also helped that I never committed robbery and assault but let's take baby steps for now with trying to explain this to you.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM

My father was a CJ major, also a business owner as well as myself. We're both very laid back mild mannered men. My father was actually the first black chamber president.

We've both been victims.

It doesn't matter how you dress, what you drive, you can still be a victim to profiling/harassment. As well as every other black man I know.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
My father was a CJ major, also a business owner as well as myself. We're both very laid back mild mannered men. My father was actually the first black chamber president.

We've both been victims.

It doesn't matter how you dress, what you drive, you can still be a victim to profiling/harassment. As well as every other black man I know.
I have been profiled.

I know the law though. You don't. It's evident by this thread.

You got busted with pot lol.

You don't know the "white man's rules" or "street rules" either.

You do know there are ways to conceal your weed, right?

Oh wait, you don't.

Again, study the ways of everyone not named you. You have to be militant (not like that cop they got on film either). Militant in knowing the codified law, the street laws, and how to handle yourself.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I have been profiled.

I know the law though. You don't. It's evident by this thread.

You got busted with pot lol.

You don't know the "white man's rules" or "street rules" either.

You do know there are ways to conceal your weed, right?

Oh wait, you don't.

Again, study the ways of everyone not named you. You have to be militant (not like that cop they got on film either). Militant in knowing the codified law, the street laws, and how to handle yourself.
Yawn.

Your not addressing the issue of profiling and just deflecting to blaming me.

Profiling is a real issue. I have 4th Amendment Rights no matter what you think.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 PM

To laugh at an issue that people are enraged about is definitely not helping the cause.

I believe Open Carry protests in front of Police departments demanding an end to violating our Constitutional rights may be a better way to show that justice is demanded.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yawn.

Your not addressing the issue of profiling and just deflecting to blaming me.

Profiling is a real issue. I have 4th Amendment Rights no matter what you think.
You're profiled for 2 reasons.

1. You're "Black" (and I hate this socially constructed race bs)
2. You break laws more than someone like me cuz you don't know the law.

Then upon getting stopped you have no clue how to handle yourself.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
You're profiled for 2 reasons.

1. You're "Black" (and I hate this socially constructed race bs)
2. You break laws more than someone like me cuz you don't know the law.

Then upon getting stopped you have no clue how to handle yourself.
Thank you No Recess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies