Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 12:49 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,868,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
These are supposed to be police not the military. Why do police need to patrol the streets with automatic rifles? Are we under military occupation?

These are weapons of war. What's next on the police dept. wishlist? Tanks and bazookas?
These are not "automatic" nor are they "weapons of war".... Our soldiers are not issued semi-automatic hunting rifles to go in to battle, they are issued full-auto, select-fire m16's....

Quote:
I didn't know you had to be a gun expert or gun nut to comment on this thread....

But the point still stands. Unless we are being invaded by a foreign army, the police do not need to be carrying assault weapons as their standard service weapon, or at all.
With all due respect, how can you determine that police should or should not be carrying an AR15, when you aren't even clear on what an AR15 is?

You don't have to be an expert on weapons to be able to talk about them, but you should at least have a basic working knowledge of them in order to have an intelligent opinion.
Quote:
Still doesn't answer the most important question - why
campus police would require such a weapon? Are they power mad? Why would anyone
for that matter? The AR15 is not a hunting rifle, nor is it made for home
defense.
I would agree the AR15 isn't a hunting rifle, it simply isn't powerful enough. Most deer rifles are far more powerful than an AR15 shooting standard .223 caliber rounds. Although many people do use them to hunt wild boar and other varmints such as coyote. As far as home defense, many people find them ideal for just that purpose. They are light weight, have very little recoil ( or "kick" ) and hold a substantial number of rounds. The very fact that many use them for home defense makes them an ideal home defense weapon.
Quote:
...and its only a matter of time before these police depts. begin requesting
them to be 'upgraded' to fully automatic M16s.
Looks like someone's been using Google.... Good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,941,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

I would agree the AR15 isn't a hunting rifle, it simply isn't powerful enough. Most deer rifles are far more powerful than an AR15 shooting standard .223 caliber rounds. Although many people do use them to hunt wild boar and other varmints such as coyote. As far as home defense, many people find them ideal for just that purpose. They are light weight, have very little recoil ( or "kick" ) and hold a substantial number of rounds. The very fact that many use them for home defense makes them an ideal home defense weapon.

Looks like someone's been using Google.... Good for you!

AR15 deal for home defense? Haha good one. Maybe if you live in a gang neighborhood perhaps, or the Gaza Strip. But other than that, it does appear to be the weapon of choice for people going on mass shooting sprees. One was used in the Newtown shooting, for example, where Adam Lanza used an AR15 to massacre 20 elementary schoolkids. The AR15 was also the weapon of choice for the guy who shot up the movie theater a couple years ago in Colorado killing 12 people.

In short, the AR15 is more ideal for going on a shooting spree than for home defense. You can kill a lot of people with it in a short amount of time. A semi-automatic hunting rifle may be more powerful, but the powerful recoil ensures a slow rate of fire. The AR15 OTOH is ideal for a shooting spree because many rounds can be fired rapidly in succession, under control and with good accuracy (not much recoil). That's more or less what an assault rifle is designed to do (automatic or not).

Old 08-21-2014, 01:57 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,824,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't know why a school police force should have AR-15 assault weapons as part of their arsenal.

It's scary, and shows how far we've lost control of our society.

Compton, CA school police authorized to carry AR-15 assault weapons
What is an AR-15 assault weapon?

Is it different than an AR-15 assault blowtorch?
An AR-15 rape weapon?

I don't understand?

Can you have an assault revolver?

Or are handguns not used in assaults?

Old 08-21-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
AR15 deal for home defense? Haha good one. Maybe if you live in a gang neighborhood perhaps, or the Gaza Strip. But other than that, it does appear to be the weapon of choice for people going on mass shooting sprees. One was used in the Newtown shooting, for example, where Adam Lanza used an AR15 to massacre 20 elementary schoolkids. The AR15 was also the weapon of choice for the guy who shot up the movie theater a couple years ago in Colorado killing 12 people.

In short, the AR15 is more ideal for going on a shooting spree than for home defense. You can kill a lot of people with it in a short amount of time. A semi-automatic hunting rifle may be more powerful, but the powerful recoil ensures a slow rate of fire. The AR15 OTOH is ideal for a shooting spree because many rounds can be fired rapidly in succession, under control and with good accuracy (not much recoil). That's more or less what an assault rifle is designed to do (automatic or not).
I guess you've just answered your own question as to "why" a campus police officer might need an AR15 rifle while on duty.... Why would you want a mad man on a shooting spree to have a better weapon than law enforcement?

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 08-21-2014 at 02:14 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:

By the way; This rifle..

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ruger+mini14&FORM=HDRSC2

is identicle to the AR15 in every way accept for the way it looks. It Shoots the same bullets, is semi-automatic, and holds the same number of rounds, yet it isn't considered an "assault weapon" under the law, it's considered a hunting rifle. Why is that do you think? The reason is because the term "assault weapon" was invented to illicit fear and confusion, and has nothing to do with functionality or lethality. Don't allow yourself to be misled by politicians with an agenda to push.

More on the AR15:

Rifles of any type are used in less than 400 crimes a year. The AR15 rifle is used in so few instances that the FBI doesn't even give it it's own category and lumps it in with all rifles.

More on mass shootings:

Mass shootings, despite what the media wants you to believe, are not happening any more frequently than before and remain a rare statistical anomaly. They make up fewer than 1/10th of 1% of all crime.

...... Just thought I'd add this in case you go and say we need to ban "assault weapons" like the AR15, which I don't doubt is what you were about to assert.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:26 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,824,109 times
I know a guy that owns an assault bat!

Is that more dangerous than a Louisville Slugger?

Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid
AR15 deal for home defense? Haha good
one.
Oh and one more thing Cisco, YOU don't get to decide what I "need" to defend my home and my family, that is for ME to decide. I want to have every possible advantage if I am forced to defend what is mine, and that includes having the best possible tool for the job.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,941,553 times
Quote:
I guess you've just answered your own question as to "why" a campus police officer might need an AR15 rifle while on duty.... Why would you want a mad man on a shooting spree to have a better weapon than law enforcement?
Ever heard of SWAT? That's what they are for. In fact, the first police units to arrive on the scene at the Sandy Hook elementary school were SWAT tactical units who were equipped with assault rifles. But even they could not prevent Lanza from killing those kids. By the time police and SWAT arrived, he shot himself in the head, and 26 people lay dead or dying. This isn't a Rambo movie. In reality, no amount of firepower was going to stop him from killing those kids (and teachers).

Quote:
Oh and one more thing Cisco, YOU don't get to decide what I "need" to defend my home and my family, that is for ME to decide. I want to have every possible advantage if I am forced to defend what is mine, and that includes having the best possible tool for the job.
Why so angry? I'm not deciding anything for you. Just wondering how useful an assault rifle would actually be for home defense. But since you can't respond with a legitimate answer to the question, you get bent out of shape.

Seems to me any rifle type weapon would be pretty awkward and cumbersome to handle in the close quarters of a household environment. Not very useful for home defense. A handgun would be a lot easier to handle when you're fumbling around in the dark, imo. It's easy to accidentally knock things over with a rifle, alerting the intruder.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,314,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't know why a school police force should have AR-15 assault weapons as part of their arsenal.

It's scary, and shows how far we've lost control of our society.

Compton, CA school police authorized to carry AR-15 assault weapons
Will they be patrolling the playground in bearcats ?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,807,576 times
On the contrary, an AR-platform rifle is a great choice for home defense. It can be equipped with a light and a laser, and will not require one-handed shooting in order to use said light. I know pistols can have lights mounted on them.

And please stop calling the AR-15 an assault rifle. It is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies