Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: U.S. Constitution
Love it 72 81.82%
Hate it 4 4.55%
Like some of it, hate some of it 12 13.64%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The third amendment doesn't seem all that useful.
3rd amendment violated here Anthony Mitchell Lawsuit: Cops Violated Third Amendment, Occupied Home, Complaint States
I also believe it could be a 4th amendment violation, but I didn't notice that mentioned in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
And yet you probably endorse the use of eminent domain by the Keystone Pipeline.
No I don't. Find a quote where I do, I dare you.

I've argued (and will never relent on this point) that property taxes are the most heinous example of tyranny this country has. If I find taxing private property so vile, what the hell do you imagine my stance would be on the government simply taking it?

And where the hell did that straw man even come from? A screen name that means voluntaryist objectivist libertarian, and I "probably support eminent domain" for anything? Really?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
3rd amendment violated here Anthony Mitchell Lawsuit: Cops Violated Third Amendment, Occupied Home, Complaint States
I also believe it could be a 4th amendment violation, but I didn't notice that mentioned in the article.
People claim all sorts of silly things. Let me know when someone wins such a claim. BTW the amendment say "solider" and "quartered."

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I love the US Constitution. I just wish members of our three branches of government would obey the restrictions placed upon them by the constitution.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 AM

140 posts, read 126,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
And I must point out that the Constitutional Amendment process was NEVER supposed to have been used to NULLIFY a basic, fundamental premise of the Constitution--for instance, the prohibition on Income Tax.
If that were true, there would be a provision in the constitution stating so. Since the Constitution itself can be re-written en total via convention, your contention does not make much sense.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
And I must point out that the Constitutional Amendment process was NEVER supposed to have been used to NULLIFY a basic, fundamental premise of the Constitution--for instance, the prohibition on Income Tax.
Yet somehow it never occurred to them to say that?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
People claim all sorts of silly things. Let me know when someone wins such a claim. BTW the amendment say "solider" and "quartered."

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

So its ok what the cops did then, because they're above the law?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
So its ok what the cops did then, because they're above the law?
I think the police may well have exceeded their authority. I don't see it as a violation of the 3rd Amendment's intent, which was about forced quartering of military personnel. The police are not soldiers and they weren't quartered at the house. They may have illegally seized the property, so perhaps a 4th Amendment issue.

My contention that there are useless section of the Constitution seems to survive intact.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I think the police may well have exceeded their authority. I don't see it as a violation of the 3rd Amendment's intent, which was about forced quartering of military personnel. The police are not soldiers and they weren't quartered at the house. They may have illegally seized the property, so perhaps a 4th Amendment issue.

My contention that there are useless section of the Constitution seems to survive intact.
The cops are militarized, so if they want to act like soldiers, then they can be sued for violating the 3rd amendment.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
The cops are militarized, so if they want to act like soldiers, then they can be sued for violating the 3rd amendment.
LOL, good luck with that argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies