Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times

Advertisements

I guess using Godspeak doesn't get you out of being a smart ass anymore.

Should the rule be broken because it was bless you and not excuse you, or hey sorry for your sneeze obviously louder than needed to troll the quiet rule?
The teacher said be quiet, and it just sounds like even Christian kids can be defiant and test limits, using manners as an excuse for being a smart ass didn't fly for this teacher. Even religious kids can be smart asses.

Maybe she should go to school in Alabama where a kid is forced to hear prayer by law. I bet kids are aloud to break rules for Jesus there. Then she can use the God card to get out of anything she wants.
Alabama Legislators Pass Bill Requiring School Prayer Every Morning

How about respecting teachers like we use to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 AM

230 posts, read 330,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DYER COUNTY, Tenn. (FOX13) - Dyer County High Schoolsenior Kendra Turner said she was kicked out of class for saying "bless you" and suspended for for responding to a classmate's sneeze.

"It was a simple sneeze," she said.

Student Says She Was Suspended For Saying 'Bless You' - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13
FIRE the teacher immediately... Wow what a crazy world we live in!
Good lawsuit...

Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Slow news day for Fox?

" Girl claims" so there could not possibly be more to this story, eh.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I don't think many schools would issue a suspension for this appalling action alone.
It was an in school suspension from a single class.

There is undoubtedly more to this story than the kid's version.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:07 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Victim here, victim here...

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Like the cop that pointed the gun at a taunting protestor, it was the cop that was suspenced for having a bad day.

Suspending a student, a senior, for such a minor infraction as breaking silence is an over reaction and when taken in consideration of all the bullying and other infractions that go unpunished, it is news worthy.

Suspended for saying two words!!!! only in the portals of social justice where the most defenseless are targeted and the most aggregious offenders left alone because they are more of a threat.
It's not like a cop pointing a gun because no one's life is in danger here. And it was more than two words, she brought up her 'constitutional rights', as if she was entitled to break the rules.

Plus, it was more than 2 words--here's a link to a more detailed version of the story:

No Talking In Class? - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

“A girl sitting right next me sneezed in class. I said "Bless You!" My teacher, (name redacted), asked "Who said that?" I said "me." She said "Why did you say that?" I said "Because it is courtesy." She said "Says who?" I said "Says my pastor." She said "Well we don't say that in my class."

I asked her why it was a big deal to her. She yelled at me and said "We will not have Godly speaking in my class!" That is when I stood up and said "My pastor said I have a constitutional right -1st amendment freedom of speech." She said "Not in my class you don't."

I said "I will defend my religion." She said "You will not in my class because I trump everyone." Then another student stepped in and said "You don't over trump God." So she sent me to the office and the assistants principal said "if I didn't want to respect my teachers rules then maybe My pastor should teach me because my freedom or speech and religion does not work at their school.

Then they sent me to ISS (in school suspension). After I left the class room all my class mates stood up and defended me the teacher had to call assistants principal to control the class.â€

Assistant Principal Lynn Garner says:

"The child was not punished." He says in school suspension is a supervised area in the main office that fits up to 12 children when there is an issue they need to look into. He says there are still discrepancies between what social media has put out and what happened. He says the school's goal is to protect the students. He says he has spoken to the teacher. "She is a great teacher. She has taught for 43 years. It was a class disruption not a religious issue that the school is dealing with."

It was an in-school suspension-- which is pretty much detention. She sat in a room for an hour or so because she was creating a disturbance. Not because she said 'bless you', but because she turned it into a selfish crusade for her right to break the rules, was directly challenging the teacher's authority, and was enticing other students to join in.

And it's not newsworthy at all... this is a single event in a single classroom in the heart of Tennessee, which is hardly a state that makes a habit of suppressing religion.

Seriously, do you think that every time a kid has to sit in the principal's office for 45 minutes they deserve a soapbox where they can rant about how the country is doomed and their freedoms are being taken away?

Fox news is the absolute bottom of the barrel... it is literally impossible to sink any lower.

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Slow news day for Fox?

" Girl claims" so there could not possibly be more to this story, eh.
To me, that's not even the part of the story which is alarming. It's the photo of the board of banned words/phrases and 'bless you' is on there. It was initially denied by the school until faced with the photo. Why would the teacher ban that phrase in particular? The other words were derogatory in nature (e.g. dumb, stupid, etc) and somewhat understandable but I'm puzzled by the teacher banning 'bless you'. Aren't you?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivierad View Post
FIRE the teacher immediately... Wow what a crazy world we live in!
Immediately, you're absolutely right.

Far better than to do something crazy like find out what actually happened.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:11 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The part of the story which should concern you (but for some reason I am betting down not) is that the teacher put the phrase "bless you" on a board as banned words to say in the classroom. From what I understand, the school initially tried to deny it was banned by the teacher but another student snapped a picture of the board with the banned words on it and yep, bless you was on there. What do you think it is about the phrase bless you that prompted that teacher to ban it from the classroom?
Have you seen this photograph? If so, could you perhaps share it with the rest of us?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
This is ridiculous. I wonder if they suspended the sneezer too - that started the whole chain of events - clearly disruptive.
In this case suspension means she was sent to the office and remained there until the class period was over, then she went on to her next class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies