Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can You Support the Troops While Opposing the War?
Yes 49 84.48%
No 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:34 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
No, I'm serious. About this time of year in 1944, there were people in the U.S. who would've said the same thing about us ever being able to whip the Nazis in Europe or the Imperial Japanese. Fortunately, it wasn't long before they were proven wrong. .

And about this time today many people would find it easier and more sensible to support a war if we actually attacked our enemy. Iraq's statuus on the threat list changed post 9/11 and this administration failed to address that fact,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 11:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 4,853,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
many people would find it easier and more sensible to support a war if we actually attacked our enemy.
We were attacked at Pearl Harbor by the forces of Imperial Japan.

The first place U.S. GI's were sent to attack the Axis powers? North Africa.

Did FDR miss the main threat, or fail to address the facts?

Gotta see the BIG Picture in all these things...

Old 12-24-2007, 12:00 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
We were attacked at Pearl Harbor by the forces of Imperial Japan.

The first place U.S. GI's were sent to attack the Axis powers? North Africa.

Did FDR miss the main threat, or fail to address the facts?

Gotta see the BIG Picture in all these things...

Right, the Axis Powers, allies, unlike Saddam and al Qaeda who were natural enemies.

Take a look at the big picture, the one that shows that al Qaeda is the enemy, is known to operate in more than 40 countries, is not a nation-state, and will not be eliminated by employing the conventional tactic of invading/occupying a nation-state.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times
I can support our troops while being against the reasons they were sent. They are our troops.... Its that simple. If folks want to hate , fine hate on the corrupt politicians who sent them. Just to make sure everyone understands the facts. That would be both parties anyone who voted yes.
Just to make sure we keep it straight. They voted yes knowing that much of the evidence was questionable... They voted yes because the american public wanted someones butt . They voted yes because win loose or draw their was a lot of money in it for everyone connected. And yes that would be both parties.
I support our troops, just as I support the police even though I dont agree with speed traps, unmarked cars or the small town cop mentality.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,693,358 times
The troops have no say in the matter. They do not get to choose which wars they wish to fight in and which wars they do not wish to fight in. You cannot blame the troops for anything. Blame yourselves for electing their ignorant boss and believing his many LIES.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The troops have no say in the matter. They do not get to choose which wars they wish to fight in and which wars they do not wish to fight in. You cannot blame the troops for anything. Blame yourselves for electing their ignorant boss and believing his many LIES.
Bush lies v.s any or all of the other politicians lies? One is the same. There are no boyscouts in dc... Right now they are all lieing to cover their own butts.. That is what politicians do best.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:55 PM

4,510 posts, read 6,751,553 times
There was an interesting segment on the NBC Evening News last night reporting progress in Baghdad. General McCafferty, a past vocal critic, reported that things are improving and the new strategy is making progress and Iraqis are enjoying new freedoms.

Obviously many feel we never should have been there in the first place but now that progress is being made withdrawing troops for political reasons could erase any chance of peace in Iraq.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There was an interesting segment on the NBC Evening News last night reporting progress in Baghdad. General McCafferty, a past vocal critic, reported that things are improving and the new strategy is making progress and Iraqis are enjoying new freedoms.

Obviously many feel we never should have been there in the first place but now that progress is being made withdrawing troops for political reasons could erase any chance of peace in Iraq.
You are correct. However, I submit that Iraqi freedom or lack there of is none of our business. Nor should we be putting our troops in harms way for them. Nor should we have had to foot the bill.
I support the troops. Given the mission, the restrictions, and the political BS at home they have done an amazing job . A job for people just about as grateful as those in somalia were.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:37 PM

756 posts, read 1,995,296 times
Yes you can support the troops without supporting the war,
but I choose to support both!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:12 PM

15,726 posts, read 7,523,510 times
Arrow It doesn't matter what I think, what matter is in what I believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
How would you feel if you were a soldier and someone said to you “yeah, the justification for why you’re over there fighting keeps changing but let’s just say we thought one good excuse is to say you’re fighting to avenge the death of the last soldier who died over there avenging the death of another soldier who died because we have followers who will lie to keep you in the fight.”

So when did saving face become patriotic?
When it became personal.

Hello: I am new to this forum I hope all of you are well and in good spirits.

Three or four days prior to the attack on the twin towers and in going to work, in my thoughts I gave thanks to the knowing we are living in a country without constant fear of being shelled on our way to do our daily activities. On the morning of 9-11 I'm driving to work listening to the radio and the broadcast sounded like a horrible Orson Wells prank only to minutes later realize it wasn’t a prank, it was for real. “Some one is trying to **** us off,” I heard said that day. And well yes, they were. They wanted our attention really bad and now they have it, our full attention.

I don’t like Bush, in my opinion he’s a weasel. However he was in a damned if he did, or a damned if he didn’t situation. Maybe he could do this differently. I don’t know; as I am not in his shoes so as to make an absolute judgment call.

What would we being saying though about the man if he didn’t rally the troops to go kick butt? What if he said, lets just bury our dead and go on about our business of our daily lives and pretend it didn’t happen? President Bush did not do that. He in spite of what it may or may not look like he made a difficult call. As Commander and Chief he said, we will go and give to them our full and undivided attention, so that they won’t come back. (give in an inch, they will take it all)

This question though is support of the troops without regards to how one really feels about the agenda(s).

My father was a Staff Sargent in the United States Army in 1942. I have a son that has just enlisted.

I’ll tell you what I told my son. “If you can not do your job believing in what your mission is all about and that mission is ‘to keep America safe’ and do this job in spite of what you may hear, see or feel at any given moment, then pick another job another career.”

As we go about our daily activities uninterrupted by a bomb blowing up in our backyard, we may want to stop just a moment and ask ourselves just why that is and why so many other countries do not have that privilege.

No they do not want us over there they want us to go home. No, I do not want our military men and women over there, I want them to come home. Can you say though without a shadow of a doubt that if they did come home they wouldn’t be followed and the attack resume on American soil? If you can, then you are better at this than I am.

I hope I get the chance to slap my son on the back and tell him, “I’m proud of you son. Against all opposition both foreign and domestic, you did a wonderful job at ‘keeping America safe’. Your grandfather would have been proud of you.”

Diversity is a wonderful thing in that it is what keeps us interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies