Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can You Support the Troops While Opposing the War?
Yes 49 84.48%
No 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,529,842 times

Advertisements

^ that being said SADDAM did not attack us on 9/11. As for keeping America safe a foreign policy that doesn't involve invasion will go a long way.

As for the original question yes you can support our troops since they are just doing their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 07:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,695,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There was an interesting segment on the NBC Evening News last night reporting progress in Baghdad. General McCafferty, a past vocal critic, reported that things are improving and the new strategy is making progress and Iraqis are enjoying new freedoms.

Obviously many feel we never should have been there in the first place but now that progress is being made withdrawing troops for political reasons could erase any chance of peace in Iraq.
Well good. Since things are so much better, we can leave! OH we can't? Well why not? Oh, I see now- things are better because so many of us are there now at a cost of $180 billion a year! So, how long do we have to be there? Forever?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:14 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,695,446 times
The fact is that we will probably never get out of there. It will become another Korea and we will be stuck there for generations to come trying to keep a bunch of folks that hate each other from killing each other. And I will not forget that it was the Republicans that got us into this mess based on lies that they made up. And next November you should not forget it either.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:58 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The fact is that we will probably never get out of there. It will become another Korea and we will be stuck there for generations to come trying to keep a bunch of folks that hate each other from killing each other. And I will not forget that it was the Republicans that got us into this mess based on lies that they made up. And next November you should not forget it either.
HMMM You see I seem to recall that the vote to go to war was almost a stampede to say yes. Now after the fact we have the Dems crying about how they were mislead. Total unadulterated BS....They voted yes because americans were demanding someone's butt.... The american public was tired of turning the other cheek and wanted blood. The dems jumped on the band wagon. They saw it as a win win deal. If everything went as planned they were part of the winning team. If it went south as it did then they could always make excuses about how it wasn't their fault. And it worked. We have a lot of people who actually believe that our elected officials had no real clue. News flash they are career politicians ie professional liars. They knew what Bush knew.
Be angry and vote anyone who voted yes for the war out of office.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:12 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
And just to remind posters, the topic is "Can You Support the Troops While Opposing the War?". Plenty of other threads to discuss the merits of the war itself.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times
I support the troops in any way I can.

You can too is many ways. One of the easiest ways I can suggest, is supporting this organization - Packages from home

http://www.packagesfromhome.org/

Please, visit their website. AND, if you know ANY SERVICE MEMBER, give this organization their mailing address and they will make sure to send a "Package from Home"

It really does mean a lot to our brave men and women -

Old 12-25-2007, 03:05 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,119,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Our Armed Forces are doing the job they were assigned to do.

Provided their orders are within UMCJ guidelines of course.

As for this war; I have my doubts at best.
There is no war. Congress did not declare one.

Not supporting an illegal war lends credence to our armed forces when they do need to defend the country from attack.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
There is no war. Congress did not declare one.

Not supporting an illegal war lends credence to our armed forces when they do need to defend the country from attack.
Do you support our men and women in uniform right now, or not?

Old 12-25-2007, 09:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Do you support our men and women in uniform right now, or not?
Every second of every minute of everyday I support our troops. I am proud of their overall conduct and proud of what they have achieved in spite of the abuse they have taken by the hand of our politicians.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:56 PM

15,830 posts, read 21,343,774 times
The best way to support the troops is by working to fix the conditions they come back to. The VA hospital is in shambles, injured veterans are kicked into the mud by the government they chose to defend, and many men and women are being forced back to Iraq with severe psychological issues (specifically PTSD) which put them and everyone around them in even more danger.

I've gone to anti-war rallies and sit ins and passed out fliers on street corners because every single one of my friends serving in Iraq and Afghanistan have asked me to. They can't do it from there and they can't talk about how wrong many of them feel this war is. I will continue to be the voice for my friends in the military until they ask me to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies