Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can You Support the Troops While Opposing the War?
Yes 49 84.48%
No 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The best way to support the troops is by working to fix the conditions they come back to. The VA hospital is in shambles, injured veterans are kicked into the mud by the government they chose to defend, and many men and women are being forced back to Iraq with severe psychological issues (specifically PTSD) which put them and everyone around them in even more danger.

I've gone to anti-war rallies and sit ins and passed out fliers on street corners because every single one of my friends serving in Iraq and Afghanistan have asked me to. They can't do it from there and they can't talk about how wrong many of them feel this war is. I will continue to be the voice for my friends in the military until they ask me to stop.
The VA has been a shambles as far back as I can remember. It should be fixed....
The disregard for our vets is appalling. A few less multimillion dollar walking trails, sailing schools, congressional perks,state funded cuddle sessions would go a long way toward helping those who have sacrificed so much.. IE cut out foreign aide, and pork and spend the money on our guys for a change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 09:36 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,335,031 times
I stayed away from CD a couple weeks to recharge my bartteries,and during Xmas I wanted nothing to do with discussing politics.

But now I want to reply to this thread and yes you can support the troops while opposing a war.I supported Iraq at first,I believed the WMD deal,and then they were not found,so those that wanted to support Bush changed their story about "bringing Democracy" and "Saddam was a bad man anyway"...just something to justify that we were there though the fact is America MOD CUT up,got caught in the pay back mentality after 9-11(including me).

This holiday,my dear friends son was with us all,celebrating.He just got back from basic training for the Guard.He's 17,in a couple years he'll probably get shipped to Iraq,he is becoming a man yet watching him this weekend I couldn't help but think to myself how he is still a boy in some regards......so young and might be in a situation where soon he'll be killing somebody or getting killed.When he mentioned Iraq this weekend,I looked at his father (my friend) and saw in his face he was scared for his son.

There are times when our military must do what must be done,but the politicians who send them sure as hell better make sure they think things out long and hard before hand.

Regarding atrocities,I saw that other thread,it implied military folk were murdering purposely,so wrong to say that.American and allied military go out of their way usually for confimation before opening fire.Most civilian deaths in Iraq are by insurgents.

But the fact is Bush and company commited to war,which has led to all the deaths by that fact,and now it seems the justification for doing so is questionable.

Seriously,too say though "well we are in it,so we gotta win it",even if it's a blunder is being stubborn about standing by Americas reputation of not loosing,not standing by the troops.I'd rather have a brused ego and end it,than comit comit and more commiting to a war that's become a blunder.

Afghanistan,we got rid of the taliban,or are getting rid of,lets do it and get out.I support there still,but do it and get out.

Last edited by NewToCA; 12-26-2007 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies