Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can You Support the Troops While Opposing the War?
Yes 49 84.48%
No 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:24 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,367,674 times

Advertisements

Something has irked me for quite some time now. I have been and always will be a staunch opponent of the war in Iraq, as I never did see a connection between 9/11 and Saddam Hussein (and if such a connection did exist, it was never revealed to the public). I'm not credulous enough to be led like a sheep to slaughter as President Bush repeatedly changes our objectives for being in Iraq. First it was solely to pre-emptively disarm Iraq from using its weapons of mass destruction against us. Once the public began questioning this, the mission shifted towards liberating the Iraqi people from a cruel dictator and bringing democracy to this nation. Once Hussein was executed and the nation was still in chaos, the focus turned to "rebuilding" Iraq, which is the phase we are STILL in and still will be in for years to come as President Bush was apparently ill-prepared to deal with a civil war erupting between Sunnis and Shiites.

With my disdain for the Bush Administration's foreign policies out of the way, let me also maintain that I have and always will be a huge supporter of our troops. I defend them when they are attacked by extreme left-wingers, as I don't want them to arrive home to as hostile of an environment as our brave men and women who served in Vietnam were subjected to. I proudly had a yellow "Support our Troops" ribbon magnet on my sedan until it was stolen. I support Congress spending as much money as necesary to make our troops over in Iraq feel comfortable, appreciated, and well-armored. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those serving in our military. I wanted to serve myself until I discovered they won't accept gay people because we have cooties (but that's an entirely different gripe of mine aimed at officials, not the troops themselves).

Anyhow, I vividly remember attending a rally in Downtown Scranton in 2004 in which John Kerry and Ben Affleck came to town. Hordes of Republicans swarmed the city as well, yelling in megaphones that we don't support the troops because we don't support the war. To this day a lot of Republicans in this nation still feel as if you can't dissent from President Bush's policies while also respecting and admiring our armed service members. Why? I'm an intellectual person who resents that many of my questions about invading Iraq have never been addressed by President Bush, and I have a hard time pledging full support to military actions that I don't understand. Why should I blindly push for bloodshed if I don't know why? Furthermore, why must I do so in order to be "patriotic" or to "support our troops?"

I'm hoping some Republicans can please enlighten me as to why your party feels this way. In Vietnam public sentiment was negative, and Americans displaced their anger upon our helpless troops. In Iraq public sentiment is negative, but Americans are correctly aiming their anger at Congress and President Bush while still praising our brave men and women. Why is this so unacceptable? Are we expected to act like sheep being led to slaughter by not demanding accountability from our elected officials?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-23-2007 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 01:27 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,923,822 times
Sound would say that by opposing the war, you are supporting the troops.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Sound would say that by opposing the war, you are supporting the troops.
I never really thought of it that way before, but it makes perfect sense that by opposing war you are supporting the troops by wanting them to be out of harm's way. Nice insight, and thanks for responding.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:38 PM

There have been seven voters, yet only one has replied?

Old 12-23-2007, 02:43 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,609,741 times
By supporting our troops, they can get the job done in the war that is so opposed!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,036,722 times
Our Armed Forces are doing the job they were assigned to do.

Provided their orders are within UMCJ guidelines of course.

As for this war; I have my doubts at best.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:43 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,108,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Our Armed Forces are doing the job they were assigned to do.

Provided their orders are within UMCJ guidelines of course.

As for this war; I have my doubts at best.
I agree, and as a combat veteran, let me say that all wars are bad. When we lose our troops we lose the cream of America's youth. Of course, if we didn't go to war we may not exist in the long term, but this war in Iraq has been too costly...not just in $$$...in the lives lost.

While we are spending our tax dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan China and Russia are watching us go into debt and probably smiling inside.

Yes, within the guidelines of The UCMJ.

Our brave men and women serving in combat areas are doing their job! Let's not disrespect them as we did our Viet Nam Vets.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2007, 04:14 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,124,717 times
I voted yes, the troops are people doing a job they swore they would do and doing it well under come very adverse conditions. They deserve gratitude, respect, and support. That doesn't preclude disagreeing with their boss's actions.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,923,822 times
A better question might be

Can you support the troops and oppose funding at the same time?

Old 12-23-2007, 04:41 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,107,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
A better question might be

Can you support the troops and oppose funding at the same time?
Good point!!!! I like it.
Stop the money flow for the war and bring all the troops home. Protect our own borders, let them kill each other off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies