Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,581,592 times

Advertisements

....is written by a law professor.

Ferguson: Black Americans treated differently (Opinion) - CNN.com

She wrote "This son of mine who likes to go out at night is big and tall and he has brown skin. He graduated from college in May but cannot find employment."

Seriously!!! Like he is the only recent graduate who's unemployed. There are tons of other potential reasons for things that occurred the way they did in her article, but all she could think of was "racism!"

Last edited by Quaker15; 08-25-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 08:38 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,421,437 times
I read that article, it was absolutely idiotic. This woman is the stereotypical "victim sentimental" people talk about regarding blacks. Everything wrong that happens to her is because of her skin color.

I know people who graduated in May 2013 who have not found a job, all of them white and a few buck the trend because they are attractive people. I know one white guy who graduated in 2010 and still have not found anything past retail jobs, he has now gone to grad school.

"When I shop, I'm often either ignored as a waste of time or scrutinized as a potential shoplifter."

EVERYBODY complains about this, who has not ever been ignored? Same with shoplifting, this is the bane of teen life, everyone thinks as a group you are there to shoplift, especially when you do not purchase anything.

"I was about to speak to the salesperson directly in front of me. She walked right past me to welcome the white woman behind us."

Did she ever think that woman has already asked for assistance beforehand and she was getting back with her? Maybe she waved to the salesperson while you just stood their silently? This woman is just looking for idiotic things to complain about and call racism.

"Driving, I tend to have a bit of a lead foot -- hitting 45 in a 35 mph zone. The few times I have been stopped in my suburb, the first question I'm asked is whether I live "around here.""

Ah yes, cops do ask that, I got asked that every time I was pulled over when in the military for BS reasons because everyone driving at night in a military town must be drunk. Again, looking for racism when there is not even, a simple "do you live here" is now racism. Guess what girl, QUIT SPEEDING.

"But I've asked myself: How many parents of white sons have thought to add to their to-do-before-leaving-town list, "Write letter to local police department, introducing sons and attaching photos, so police do not become suspicious and harass them"?"

YOU CHOSE TO DO THAT ALL ON YOUR OWN ACCORD. So of course white parents would not do that, because it is completely stupid to do, and I doubt many black families even do this.

I could go on and on about this article. This woman lives in a delusional world of victim hood, where every little thing that is not 100% perfect in her life is due to racism. She of course passes this down to her kids, but hopefully her kids see the light and are smarter than this and see just how stupid her views of the world are. This woman has brought everything upon herself.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
For all of you who think there is no differential treatment, why don't you read this article.
Walking While Black: Beverly Hills PD Arrests Innocent Black Man | Crooks and Liars

We do not even remotely live in an equal society.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 PM

The posters in this thread remind me of:
https://storify.com/moderndaydude/sh...athy-of-racism

Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
For all of you who think there is no differential treatment, why don't you read this article.
Walking While Black: Beverly Hills PD Arrests Innocent Black Man | Crooks and Liars

We do not even remotely live in an equal society.

Two white guys, Georgia, pulled over because they and their car match the description of someone flashing a gun at people. They are detained for hours on end, car impounded even though no gun found. Finally released.

Oh wait, did this one not get in the news? No, it did not, no news around, no cell phones existed for bystanders to take pictures, no internet for the two white guys to make issues out of it.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post

Two white guys, Georgia, pulled over because they and their car match the description of someone flashing a gun at people. They are detained for hours on end, car impounded even though no gun found. Finally released.

Oh wait, did this one not get in the news? No, it did not, no news around, no cell phones existed for bystanders to take pictures, no internet for the two white guys to make issues out of it.
Guess what, that looks like more evidence to me police officers are a user their powered. I made a similar comment in the thread about the mom and her kids pulled over by the police. We have issues, and not just ones where the victims are black. I don't know why no one shared that story with me, but it represents a familiar pattern.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Not an isolated incident.

Being black means when that store clerk follows you around the store if they are paranoid, awkward or suspects you of shoplifting.

Being black means when you tell someone you work in a professional job they look surprised and ask you how you got it even though it is a very common job in the region.

Being black means you need to be suspicious when some random person walks up and calls you articulate.

This doesn't mean a sit around all day thinking of the ways people have been racist to me that day. But you always have to wonder.
For one, if people are being surprised by these things, including the other blacks that accuse blacks of "acting white", maybe perhaps, you know, a large number of blacks have issues that drive this perception of them?

Besides that, again, reactions are all a perception, and some blacks feel like making a racism issue out of every incident. Problem is this starts becoming like crying wolf, where the real racism gets overlooked, or resources are tied up into what is non-racism issues.

Store clerks follow all kinds of people around, not just blacks, blacks are not special in this. Many people under the age of 25 get the following treatment, especially if they dress like the hip-hop, pants falling down look which can be any race.

"Look surprised" is just what someone wants to make out of it. This is another BS item that gets classified as racism, it comes down to interpreting expressions just to make any racial link.

If someone just walks up to a black person and calls the articulate, that person is just nuts and not all at home, that is not racism, that is mental illness, lack of social ability, etc. Speaking of articulate, imagine how some southern types feel as they are the most stereotyped being an idiot group out there because of their accents.

No, you do not have to wonder. Nitpicking every little action someone is doing and declaring it "racism" is stupidity. If it is not "surprised expression", then it would be "they do not care expression" that would be complained about. It is a no win with it, any little negative thing that happens, even though it happens to everyone regardless of race, gets classified as racism.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM

14,960 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:

How about this story? Didn't see much about it on the mainstream media, despite the fact that these cops acted out of their jurisdiction and clearly were out of line. If the guy had been black, I can only imagine the outrage there would have been regarding what happened here.

4 On Your Side investigates traffic stop nightmare | KOB.com

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Guess what, that looks like more evidence to me police officers are a user their powered. I made a similar comment in the thread about the mom and her kids pulled over by the police. We have issues, and not just ones where the victims are black. I don't know why no one shared that story with me, but it represents a familiar pattern.
I am no banner of support for the police either, I in fact cannot stand them for the most part. Of course they are needed and all, but I think they have gotten a bit out of control for my comfort. Some areas are much worse than others, so those who do not live around bad police do not know what it is like. I lived in a military town, and those cops harassed military people all of the time, always making up some BS to pull over people. The great part about it was a lot of those cops were reservists.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
For one, if people are being surprised by these things, including the other blacks that accuse blacks of "acting white", maybe perhaps, you know, a large number of blacks have issues that drive this perception of them?
I have been accused of "acting white" most often from non-black people. I'll share a story that happened to me in high school. I was at break between classes and a classmate walked up to me (he was white and lived in a trailer park) to "talk."

Now I don't recall ever having and classes with him or even any interactions. Maybe we shared Homeroom once, but he was not in my social circle. He said the following "you think you are better than me because I live in a trailer park and you live in nice neighborhood." He went on and on calling me uppity, complaining that my parents went to college and how my parents didn't have the type of accent he expects. I didn't have a chance to respond but my friend (also white, also lived in a trailer park) said "you are jealous because she is smarter than you and her family has more money than yours." He stormed off looking irritated, but for this guy it wasn't "fair" that a black family was doing better than his. Plain and simple. The best way for him to rectify this in his mind was to berate me, call me "white" and call me snobby.

It seemed to be an overreaction especially considering I had never talked to him and had no reason too.

Many of you think that black people are walking around calling other black people Oreos and the like, but I get it most of the time from white and Asian people. And this continues to this day, it has happened several,times this year, and not once from someone black (my social circle is roughly half black, half everyone else give or take). Someone black has probably said that to me a handful of times versus dozens of times from non-blacks. The reactions range from mild (you sound like a valley girl from SoCal) to more derogatory (uppity b****).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies