Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Sure it is..

How would it differ if I was taking the money and spending it, vs giving it away? Either way I'm using a religious activity to collect a "profit".
You are forgetting the fact that those out collecting in front of a Christmas light display are collecting for non-profits established to help those in need. The person collecting the money isn't monetarily profiting personally. A little different than the exchange between a business owner that aims to turn a profit and sees religion as a way to increase revenue, and a consumer who is hungry and wants to buy a pizza at a discount and uses proof of church attendance to get that discount.

Or are you suggesting that there would have been no difference between Jesus changing water into wine and then selling it to the host or guests with a 10% discount vs. giving it away free to them?

Give me a break. You are totally spinning out on this thread.

Last edited by helenejen; 08-22-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Of course not. It's the supposed Christians using the coupon who are, as well as the proprietor who offered the discount. That's my point. The Good News was not 10% off your next pizza purchase.
I disagree. The supposed Christians using the coupon who are sincere in their devotion to their religion simply see the coupon as separate from their devotion. Their faith isn't being devalued because they saved money on pizza. The proprietor's faith isn't devalued by his generosity. And again, I would point out that the offer is for a church bulletin. It does not specify that the church, or house of worship, or religious organization, or areligious organization be Christian. If someone came in with a temple bulletin, I'd wager that the person would be welcomed, and afforded the discount.

While your personal standards may see the coupons as somehow denigrating a person's faith, arguably not everyone shares your standards for religious ethics.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I disagree. The supposed Christians using the coupon who are sincere in their devotion to their religion simply see the coupon as separate from their devotion. Their faith isn't being devalued because they saved money on pizza. The proprietor's faith isn't devalued by his generosity. And again, I would point out that the offer is for a church bulletin. It does not specify that the church, or house of worship, or religious organization, or areligious organization be Christian. If someone came in with a temple bulletin, I'd wager that the person would be welcomed, and afforded the discount.

While your personal standards may see the coupons as somehow denigrating a person's faith, arguably not everyone shares your standards for religious ethics.
Generosity? Generosity would be giving discounts regardless of using a religious platform.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Generosity? Generosity would be giving discounts regardless of using a religious platform.
Generosity is simply giving others something of value. I donate to the local women's shelter. Your definition of generosity would require that I donate to everyone. You are setting an impossible standard. The restaurant owner simply chose a medium to share his generosity, as well as to market his restaurant, within the framework of his life. Church and church bulletins obviously are a routine part of his life. So the way he looks at life is that they are a routine part of most others' lives as well. For him, that's an accurate reflection of his life and culture. For you and I, it's not. For him, it is HIS reality (and statistically, in Searcy, Arkansas, he's probably not wrong--the majority of people would have access to church bulletins). And he's not trying to compel others to conform to HIS reality. Offering a 10% discount does not compel anyone to do anything.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
I don't consider a hospital to be a person. There might be people, however, looking to profit from it... now they would be surely making a mockery by doing so.
I dont consider a pizza joint a business either..
Quote:
I never said I'm tolerant of everybody certainly not of idiots. But, that pizza joint you speak of... no its not hatred. Can't hate crazies... sympathize with them.
And they are crazy because?

Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Generosity is simply giving others something of value. I donate to the local women's shelter. Your definition of generosity would require that I donate to everyone. You are setting an impossible standard. The restaurant owner simply chose a medium to share his generosity, as well as to market his restaurant, within the framework of his life. Church and church bulletins obviously are a routine part of his life.
It is running a business, not generosity. I'm thinking about dinner at Olive Garden tonight... they have their buy one, take one home deal going on... it isn't based on generosity on their part.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont consider a pizza joint a business either..
That is your problem.

Quote:
And they are crazy because?
Religious crazies! (There is a difference)

Old 08-22-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
You are forgetting the fact that those out collecting in front of a Christmas light display are collecting for non-profits established to help those in need.
And that changes the situation because of what? Maybe this pizza joint is in need of sales in order to stay open and employ the people that they do.. Nah, that cant be true...
Quote:
The person collecting the money isn't monetarily profiting personally.
Doesnt matter.. According to your left wing kooks posting here, using a chuch function, i.e. a church bulletin is evil, so using a church holiday would be even worse..
Quote:
A little different than the exchange between a business owner that aims to turn a profit and sees religion as a way to increase revenue, and a consumer who is hungry and wants to buy a pizza at a discount and uses proof of church attendance to get that discount.
There isnt a need to proof one attends church
Quote:
Or are you suggesting that there would have been no difference between Jesus changing water into wine and then selling it to the host or guests with a 10% discount vs. giving it away free to them?
Jesus turning water into whine and then giving it away thus meets a demand which existed at the time is no different than someone turning flower, pizza sauce and cheese into a pizza and meeting a demand. The fact that they are now making a profit off the transaction doesnt mean the transaction is being run by crazies.
Quote:
Give me a break. You are totally spinning out on this thread.
No I'm not.. I'm showing how intolerant liberals are and full of hatred, and they try to explain away differences to meet their agenda while not afraid to embarrass themself with asinine responses.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That is your problem.
If a hospital isnt a person, than neither is a pizza joint..
Quote:
Religious crazies! (There is a difference)
You havent yet explained what makes them religious crazies.. Just repeating the same old nonsense

Old 08-22-2014, 02:45 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
I disagree. The supposed Christians using the coupon who are sincere in their devotion to their religion simply see the coupon as separate from their devotion. Their faith isn't being devalued because they saved money on pizza. The proprietor's faith isn't devalued by his generosity.
So I go to church, I pick up the bulletin after mass, and then I take it to the pizza place for a 10% discount. And the one thing has nothing to do with the other? Hunger for Christ's good will and hunger for pizza are equally served, eh? The sacred and the profane are all in harmony on a Saturday evening! Let's celebrate with a large pepperoni! Woo-hoo!!

Quote:
And again, I would point out that the offer is for a church bulletin. It does not specify that the church, or house of worship, or religious organization, or areligious organization be Christian. If someone came in with a temple bulletin, I'd wager that the person would be welcomed, and afforded the discount.
I think it was already mentioned earlier in the thread that an atheist could pick up a church bulletin and bring it in for the discount, according to the proprietor. The difference is that the atheist isn't monetarily benefiting from or denigrating her faith. The atheist should have no conflict about using the bulletin for 10% off their pizza. Have at it! A Christian (whom I'm only using as the example because most people in Arkansas are Christian) should know better than to cheapen her faith in this way.

Quote:
Well the difference in standards is sort of the point of the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies