Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:35 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times

Advertisements

I think the whole saying of "God Bless You" is completely unnecessary. I don't feel any need to say it, I don't, my kids don't.

As a teen growing up, I found it annoying, sneeze on a bus, and some stranger says to me god bless you, then you have to say thank you, then they start a conversation, ugh, I don't want to talk to you....

also, wouldn't anyone think by now, God would automatically know to "Bless" me when I sneeze. I don't he needs to be told.

I also think in this world "religion" is and has been the root of all our problems from day one.

as for the story, the student was in class, it wasn't necessary that she blessed the other student.
Was the class quiet?
Was she being a smart alek" (showing my age here)
Were they reading, studying, whatever.....
There was no need for the kid to say "Bless You". It was un-necessary and probably disruptive to the teacher.

Should the kid have gotten suspended?, probably over kill.

How about, "I will not bless anyone in class", a thousand times.....

Old 08-22-2014, 01:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,382,910 times
I just listened to the video. I am even more convinced that it has all to do with her and the other students disrupting the class.

1) She did not just say, bless you, she shouted it. I would be willing to bet she did it to express her "constitutional rights"
2) When the teacher asked who said it, she said it was her, and according to her church and pastor, she was allowed to
3) Teacher says that this is not church and I am not your pastor.
4) Student continues to argue, and the rest of the classmates start to argue to defend her (according to the video)
5) Teacher gets fed up with student and sends her to the principals office for in school suspension for causing a disruption in class.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Then she was suspended for causing a disruption in class, not for saying bless you.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:42 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Do you think teachers have a right to keep religion out of their classrooms? Should school administrators support this?

High school senior says she was suspended for saying 'bless you'

There's a video that must be paused prior to reading for those who complain you have been warned.
It's a common courtesy and part of our culture, not any specific religion.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:45 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Then she was suspended for causing a disruption in class, not for saying bless you.
I wonder if she'd said "salud", would she have been suspended for "creating a disturbance"?

The teacher seems like a jerk, and if the girl was trying to "get her goat" by knowingly shouting a banned phrase across the room, well that wasn't smart.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:01 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Every time I hear these types of stories, I'm convinced that there's more to the story.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is a product of a right wing religious household who is convinced that there is a war against Christianity and makes a big show of being a loud and proud Christian. If that is the case (and I'm not saying it definitely is), it's quite possible that someone sneezed, and she made a big show of "GOD bless you!!" in which case the problem is being a disruption, not being Christian.

I'm assuming that was supposed to be funny--um..the (gasp!) "God bless you!" being more "distracting" than the sneeze. And just think of this...this Christian lying in wait for someone to sneeze. ROTF!

1. Some of these anti-Christian types sure are silly.
2. Teachers have nothing to complain about if this serves as a disruption.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:44 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know a college student at a state university who received a letter from the dean warning her that she would be expelled from the school I she continued to talk about evolution because Christian students complained.
What state university? I find this difficult to believe.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:17 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,267,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm assuming that was supposed to be funny--um..the (gasp!) "God bless you!" being more "distracting" than the sneeze. And just think of this...this Christian lying in wait for someone to sneeze. ROTF!

1. Some of these anti-Christian types sure are silly.
2. Teachers have nothing to complain about if this serves as a disruption.
I think you missed my point. The distraction (in my suggested scenario) isn't in what is said, but how it is said. Making a big showy point of yelling it out.

Were you suggesting I'm anti-Christian? I'm not. I AM Christian. However I don't feel the need to make a big show of it.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:22 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Every time I hear these types of stories, I'm convinced that there's more to the story.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is a product of a right wing religious household who is convinced that there is a war against Christianity and makes a big show of being a loud and proud Christian. If that is the case (and I'm not saying it definitely is), it's quite possible that someone sneezed, and she made a big show of "GOD bless you!!" in which case the problem is being a disruption, not being Christian.

spot on, thats exactly what I thought. There is usually always more to the story, and this is the first thing that comes to mind.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:25 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think the whole saying of "God Bless You" is completely unnecessary. I don't feel any need to say it, I don't, my kids don't.

As a teen growing up, I found it annoying, sneeze on a bus, and some stranger says to me god bless you, then you have to say thank you, then they start a conversation, ugh, I don't want to talk to you....

also, wouldn't anyone think by now, God would automatically know to "Bless" me when I sneeze. I don't he needs to be told.

I also think in this world "religion" is and has been the root of all our problems from day one.

as for the story, the student was in class, it wasn't necessary that she blessed the other student.
Was the class quiet?
Was she being a smart alek" (showing my age here)
Were they reading, studying, whatever.....
There was no need for the kid to say "Bless You". It was un-necessary and probably disruptive to the teacher.

Should the kid have gotten suspended?, probably over kill.

How about, "I will not bless anyone in class", a thousand times.....
Agreed. My daughter is being raised Atheist and my husbands family is Catholic. No biggie we work around and know my wishes. When she sneezes though my FIL goes one better and says "oh God Bless you in Heaven" ... I shrug it off cause I know he means well. IMO tho its not necessary. The girl though must have been loud, perhaps it was during a standardized test and "no talking" was implemented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies