Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Amazon believe it or not is Walmarts biggest competitor. Amazon has now started Sunday deliveries in many areas of the country. After Amazon look at Ebay. I have recently bought socks, batteries, tv, etc. through Amazon or Ebay. No need to go to Walmart or Costco.
Keep a sharp eye out on Amazon prices....delivery and ordering may be convenient...there prices are no longer the lowest in many cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 09:23 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'm not so sure that it's an issue with not "paying them to water". Every time I go into WM I see little groups of 3-4 people in WM "uniforms" standing around chatting, while only 1-2 checkout lines are open. And the ones that are open have the slowest moving cashiers in the city.
"Pay peanuts, get monkeys" - this really should come as no surprise.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I like Amazon because I don't have to deal with the Wal-Mart crowd.
You and I think alike: I do 50% or more of my shopping on line with Amazon and am rarely disappointed. I much prefer Amazon to Ebay.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Wal-Mart cut staff to the bone a few years ago. They stopped promoting from within. Any employee who could leave did -- including those who ran the stores. They got rid of the greeters, though they are fast enough to check your receipt when you leave.

Customers started to notice that, despite 20 registers, only 2 were ever operational. There'd be a line a dozen plus deep and they wouldn't call for backup cashiers. People would walk away, rather than wait any longer. Management experts told Wal-mart that they were losing more than they were gaining by staff cuts. It took them this long to listen.

The Wal-Mart heirs (6 of 'em) own more wealth than 40% of the country. Sam Walton was an okay guy who stressed service and 'made in America'. As soon as he was dead, the heirs started selling nothing but 'made in China' and they started treating people badly. If their stores are losing now, I call it karma.
As an aside, you do realize you do NOT have to stop and show your receipt to anyone at Walmart. Walmart is a public store, not a membership club (Sams,Costco) so unless they want to accuse you of shoplifting and detain you there's nothing they can do if you just walk on by.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I'm also perplexed by those who despise Walmart, but have no problems shopping with Amazon who no different. Not only does Amazon work their employees much harder, they're also the driving reason behind the demise of the book publishing industry. How many people have lost their jobs thanks to the Kindle? They're also putting pressure on other jobs like fulfillment (robots) and delivery (drones).

Amazon and Google are progressing us to the future predicted in Wall•E.
It's technology in general.

Is anyone willing to pay a premium for products made, inventoried, fulfilled, delivered and serviced by less productive humans?

Instead of adapting, we blame government. Politicians/political parties have no solutions palatable to the general public , so they blame the other guy/party.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
My biggest complaint with WM in regards to cloths in particular is the limited selection of sizes in stock. Go to pick up men's jeans and they have either 28 waists or 48s, little in between. The other is the that they are always out of stock when things are in season. Tried to pick up a spring jacket in March...no luck, either there, Target, Freddies or Sears. But you could get swimsuits. In north Idaho...in March. Sorry, I don't want to chop ice to go swimming, but could use a d*mn jacket. Speaking of that, every try to buy a swimsuit or pair of shorts in August? Good luck with that, but winter coats are on the racks. That's not just a WM thing, seems common in most retail stores. Stopped in at our local WM yesterday-Halloween stuff is on all the front shelves.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I'm also perplexed by those who despise Walmart, but have no problems shopping with Amazon who no different. Not only does Amazon work their employees much harder, they're also the driving reason behind the demise of the book publishing industry. How many people have lost their jobs thanks to the Kindle? They're also putting pressure on other jobs like fulfillment (robots) and delivery (drones).

Amazon and Google are progressing us to the future predicted in Wall•E.
I'm in the publishing business. Kindle and other e-books (which make up about a 3rd of the book purchases made in the USA) haven't really damaged the traditional publishing industry. Most books are either *both* e and paper or just e because publishers either didn't want them in the first place or gave the rights back to the authors. They are charging as much for an e-book as for a paperback in many cases -- more profit for less outlay.

Books are still be produced in tremendous numbers, but they are badly marketed, all except the big bestsellers. It's a multi-billion dollar industry that still claims with a straight face that 'word of mouth' is the best marketing.

Most people have lost their jobs due to massive consolidation rather than the advent of the e-book. We went from 70 major publishers when I started 30 years ago to 5. Soon Bertelsmann will own everyone. Never fear, however, small indie presses are springing up like mushrooms after a rain.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
My biggest complaint with WM in regards to cloths in particular is the limited selection of sizes in stock. Go to pick up men's jeans and they have either 28 waists or 48s, little in between. The other is the that they are always out of stock when things are in season. Tried to pick up a spring jacket in March...no luck, either there, Target, Freddies or Sears. But you could get swimsuits. In north Idaho...in March. Sorry, I don't want to chop ice to go swimming, but could use a d*mn jacket. Speaking of that, every try to buy a swimsuit or pair of shorts in August? Good luck with that, but winter coats are on the racks. That's not just a WM thing, seems common in most retail stores. Stopped in at our local WM yesterday-Halloween stuff is on all the front shelves.
Toyman -- That's retail for you. They are always 3-6 months ahead. So by the time you need something, like a swimsuit, they are all out of your size, only have mis-matched pieces, etc. But you can buy that kid a snowsuit, no problem -- even in Florida.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Keep a sharp eye out on Amazon prices....delivery and ordering may be convenient...there prices are no longer the lowest in many cases.
True -- They had one of my old paperbacks on 'sale' for $2,495. I about fell out...I've got an attic full.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:39 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
In the last few days Ebay held a big gathering in China for the 100 biggest Chinese product sellers on Ebay. John Donanhoe announced that Ebay would start building warehouse fulfillment centers in the US so that these China based firms could ship their Ebay products directly from US locations. This does not bode well for either Walmart or the US
places like Tmart are already doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies