Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 PM

207 posts, read 497,864 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that the reason why I am asking this in the United States forum is because it relates to Russians in the U.S.A. If possible I would like answers from Russians who are either living in the U.S. have toured/visited the U.S.

That being said, all that I want to know is the following:

1. Are most of the young Russians ages 18-35 who are tourists in the United States big supporters of Putin, the annexation of Crimea and the war in Ukraine??? Or do they care little about politics as well whereas the Russians who are supporters of Putin and the war in Ukraine do not travel to and tour/visit the United States??
2.If I as an American citizen were to meet a Russian girl who is a tourist in the United States, would she most likely be a supporter of Putin, annexing Crimea and the war in Ukraine??? (I HOPE NOT!) Or are the Russians that are tourists in the United States neutral when it comes to this crisis?? I really would like to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
I'm of Russian descent, and I don't support Putin homophobic agenda, but at the same time I don't see why Russia can't have Crimea. Crimea has more ethnic Russians than Ukrainians anyway.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I'm of Russian descent, and I don't support Putin homophobic agenda, but at the same time I don't see why Russia can't have Crimea. Crimea has more ethnic Russians than Ukrainians anyway.
Good answer. I hope to hear some more.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:38 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Tourists are more likely to be pro-Putin than immigrants are. But you can't lump everyone together; Russian citizens have a diversity of opinions, just like Americans. So you're shopping specifically for tourists, now, OP? I thought you were looking for Russian immigrants in the US, on your last thread.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
I can't speak for tourists into the US, but I was literally shocked to find menu cards in Indian restaurants in a state of Goa, with one side of the menu in Russian. I ignored it at the first location but saw it at a different location again. I was told that a large number of Russians have fled their homeland and Goa has become a destination. It came to no surprise then that I saw a lot of younger families with little kids. Apparently, many visit with the plan to never return home.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Tourists are more likely to be pro-Putin than immigrants are. But you can't lump everyone together; Russian citizens have a diversity of opinions, just like Americans. So you're shopping specifically for tourists, now, OP? I thought you were looking for Russian immigrants in the US, on your last thread.
Allow me to rephrase what I said. What I meant by Russian tourists were Russians who have moved to the U.S.A. to work and study here (Foreign exchange students). Basically immigrants. That being clarified, you could probably answer my question better now that you know what I am referring to.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I can't speak for tourists into the US, but I was literally shocked to find menu cards in Indian restaurants in a state of Goa, with one side of the menu in Russian. I ignored it at the first location but saw it at a different location again. I was told that a large number of Russians have fled their homeland and Goa has become a destination. It came to no surprise then that I saw a lot of younger families with little kids. Apparently, many visit with the plan to never return home.
That being said, would it be safe to assume that the same applies to Russians living in the United States?

Old 08-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Alright, normally I would edit my initial post, but for some reason I can't. However, for anyone who comes across this thread, Here is what I meant by Russian tourist. As I said before, what I meant by a Russian tourist was a foreign exchange student or a Russian birth tourist, not a Russian who is here in the United States for vacation.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:15 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
That being said, would it be safe to assume that the same applies to Russians living in the United States?
I would say, it likely would (especially middle class).

Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would say, it likely would (especially middle class).
That is good to know! Hopefully I will hear from more people soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies