Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 01:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
We are told that when stopped by a police officer, do everything possible to assure him you are being compliant and not resistant. This is very much like the advice given to campers when a bear wanders into their camp. Why is the public advised to regard police officers like wild animals who might turn deadly at any moment...and why is this considered "normal?"
Most of the videos I have seen where things escalate with an officer have a common thread, the civilian cannot control himself, his mouth, his language and sometimes body parts.

How about treating an officer the way you want to be treated when performing your job.

I suspect there has never been a time of lesser police brutality than right now. Dash cams, body cams and cell phones are everywhere. The internet , blogs, social media makes us more aware of everything and it's usually one-sided stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 02:00 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,619,831 times
Law enforcement has no loyalty to the people, because the people are not their masters, they are now the slaves, and government has ruled they are to be ruled with an iron hand.

Agree with this on the federal level. On a town/local level we had a lot of loyalty to the people. We saw the people every day and interacted with them on and off the job. Why do all of these "non-law enforcement" federal elevel agencies need swat teams, etc..

The truth is there is no such thing as a good cop.

Sorry. I disagree. Worked in law enforcement for the better part of 29 years. Good and bad. Some start out good and end up bad. Some come in bad and stay bad.

The recent militarization of law enforcement is a direct reflection of their feelings and attitudes about their relationship to the citizens, in short they are at war against the people.

Do not agree with the recent militarization of LE in general. But when you have a situation like Ferguson where you have components coming in from elsewhere to riot, loot, burn, etc you need to take extreme measures (no I don't mean shooting people or gassing them but having a show of force).

Every single person in law enforcement takes a solom oath to uphold the Constitution because the Constitution and not some State or local law or statute is the Supreme Law of the Land, and is superior to all other laws. Among them are the amendments of the Constitution which law enforcement refuses to enforce especially among their own ranks.

Wrong. I worked for four separate agencies at different times between county, city and federal and I only recall two times actually raising my hand to take an oath. Not that they all shouldn't take and oath.....

You will hear the lie repeated almost every time the issue of law enforcement is discussed, " there are a few bad cops, but most cops are good and try to do a good job".

Not a lie. People are people whatever they are doing. ALL have the same inherent shortcomings and advantages. law enforcement is just one of those occupations that brings out the very best and very worst in people. Some choose to see only the worst.

The atmosphere of coruption and cover up within law enforcement is so pervasive that the citizens they serve really have none of the rights guarenteed them in the Constitution and are therfore no longer the free people that the government brainwashes them to believe they are.

While there is corruption and cover-up in the criminal justice system (look at Eric Holder and the DOJ for instance) the citizens and the accused actually have more rights than the police. (and so it should be) I agree that our FEDERAL government enacted a lot of new laws (un-Patriot Act) with 911. But then blame the Feds for that.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:03 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,334,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Everyone here who says they hate the cops will be the first to call them as soon as someone threatens them.
Nope. General rule in my family is you don't call the cops on anyone for any reason. And we've had police in our family.

We try and take care of it ourselves, the good old fashioned way.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:07 PM

39,028 posts, read 27,438,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Nope. General rule in my family is you don't call the cops on anyone for any reason. And we've had police in our family.

We try and take care of it ourselves, the good old fashioned way.
In California, carrying a gun (even an unloaded one) in public is illegal. How would we protect ourselves in public the good old fashioned way? (I am talking about the extreme cases, Like working late at night, etc) We only have police officers to depend on.

I had to work late twice in the past one year (my family has several retail stores in the mall) My brother and ex boyfriend picked me up on regular basis. When they were not around, I called the mall security, or the mall cops. (They would take me to my car) Yes, I sure do feel safer when police officers are around.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:09 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,378,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
You will hear the lie repeated almost every time the issue of law enforcement is discussed, " there are a few bad cops, but most cops are good and try to do a good job".

The truth is there is no such thing as a good cop.

While it is true that not every cop comits "overt" crimes against the people they are supposed to serve, it is also true that every cop is an accessory to those crimes because they are aware of them and have witnessed them without fulfiling their duty to arrrest their fellow officers who do comit them.

Every single person in law enforcement takes a solom oath to uphold the Constitution because the Constitution and not some State or local law or statute is the Supreme Law of the Land, and is superior to all other laws. Among them are the amendments of the Constitution which law enforcement refuses to enforce especially among their own ranks.

The atmosphere of coruption and cover up within law enforcement is so pervasive that the citizens they serve really have none of the rights guarenteed them in the Constitution and are therfore no longer the free people that the government brainwashes them to believe they are.

The recent militarization of law enforcement is a direct reflection of their feelings and attitudes about their relationship to the citizens, in short they are at war against the people.

As George Washington said, "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master". Law enforcement is simply the enforcement arm of a government which has now become the fearful master that our first president had warned us about so many years ago.

Law enforcement has no loyalty to the people, because the people are not their masters, they are now the slaves, and government has ruled they are to be ruled with an iron hand.

There are no good cops, they all support a system which opresses the people and ignore the oath they swore to the people and to themselves.
So you would like to have a society with not police protection, is that what you are telling us?

No, there are many good cops, anyone that is willing to put their lives on the line daily to protect our community and our families should be respected, not put down.

Yes, it takes a special personality to choose any profession that requires a uniform. There is something about someone in a uniform, maybe it changes them a little, I don't know, but I do know there are many good cops.

Just because you have a grudge against them for some reason doesn't make you right.

Nita

Old 08-22-2014, 02:10 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,334,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In California, carrying a gun (even an unloaded one) in public is illegal. How would we protect ourselves in public the good old fashioned way? We only have police officers to depend on.
I don't live in California. Thats how.

And if I can't handle it with my hands, I've got a billy club thats legal in every state.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:17 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,760,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't live in California. Thats how.

And if I can't handle it with my hands, I've got a billy club thats legal in every state.
Sorry... billy clubs and black jacks are illegal here as well.

22210. Except as provided in Section 22215 and Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 17700) of Division 2 of Title 2, any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any leaded cane, or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a billy, blackjack, sandbag, sandclub, sap, or slungshot, is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

CA Codes (pen:22210-22295)

You might be able to carry a local team mini bat and get away with it.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:31 PM

628 posts, read 1,312,674 times
It seems to me that the issue isn't how many bad cops there are in proportion to how many good ones, but the fact that the bad ones are rarely held accountable for their actions. They are very well protected by their public unions as well as their fellow officers. Instead of trying to defuse a situation with talk; the taser has now become the norm. Shoot first and sort out the story later.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:35 PM

28,619 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most of the videos I have seen where things escalate with an officer have a common thread, the civilian cannot control himself, his mouth, his language and sometimes body parts.

How about treating an officer the way you want to be treated when performing your job.
I've been a customer service center team manager. You may or may not be surprised at how customers treated my people, including creeps calling during graveyard shift just to harrass female reps.

But do we allow them to respond in kind? No.

Quote:
I suspect there has never been a time of lesser police brutality than right now. Dash cams, body cams and cell phones are everywhere. The internet , blogs, social media makes us more aware of everything and it's usually one-sided stories.
Stating that it's taken ubiquitous recording to reduce police brutality is an indictment of the system, not a good thing.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:41 PM

28,619 posts, read 18,658,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, this is an overly simplified answer, in my opinion.

1. The officers literally hold each other's lives in their hands. It is not that easy to "Turn in" someone for questionable behavior if they may be the ones who save your life. I know this is not an excuse, but human to human, I won't judge them so harshly because like I said, I am no hero.
As you say, this is no excuse.

Quote:
2.Police often find themselves in ambiguous situations where things are not necessarily as they seem. They don’t always have time to weigh all the facts before acting. I don't know what they have been through, so why judge.
Their actions can have terminal, irreversible results, which is why the standards must be higher.

[quote]3.Who really understand these police officers except their own. I don't think I would appreciate it too much if somebody call me "pig" simply because I wear certain uniform

Quote:
4.The price for being a “rat” is enormous. It’s not like other jobs where you may even be rewarded for reporting a substandard colleague. In policing, a “rat” is a pariah for the rest of his or her career, subjected to ongoing hatred and harassment. Reporting a “bad cop” means the end of ones career, and often more than that. There have been a few who did it anyway and paid the price, but not many and for good reason.
That's an indictment of the system. Where else would such a system of cover-up be considered acceptable? In medicine? If doctors had an unspoken code of covering for each other, would that be acceptable?

Quote:
So instead of bashing these officers, why not blaming the officials and demand some changes. It has to be systemic and it has to start at the top, beginning by “turning in” bad attitudes, bad policies, and bad procedures that have hurt the public for far too long and trying a new approach that will ensure both safety, and respect for ALL our citizens.

Cops are humans too, aren't they?
"What I Did After Police Killed My Son": The Argument for Independent Review Commissions - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies