Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:18 AM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times

Advertisements

Prepping the public for future military action against ISIS in Iraq AND Syria?

"They are an imminent threat to every interest we have, whether it's in Iraq or anywhere else," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told reporters at the Pentagon.

Quote:
APOCALYPTIC, END-OF-DAYS VISION'

"We haven't made a decision to take additional actions at this time, but we truly don't rule out additional action against ISIL if it becomes warranted," Ben Rhodes, a senior Obama aide, told National Public Radio earlier on Thursday, using another name for Islamic State.

General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, said officials were worried about the possibility that European or U.S. nationals, radicalized after fighting in Iraq or Syria, would return to their home countries.

Dempsey suggested Islamic State would remain a danger until it could no longer count on safe havens in areas of Syria under militant control.

"This is an organization that has an apocalyptic, end-of- days strategic vision and which will eventually have to be defeated," Dempsey said.

"To your question, can they be defeated without addressing that part of their organization which resides in Syria? The answer is no. That will have to be addressed on both sides of what is essentially at this point a non-existent border."

ISIS planning something in "Obamatown"? I hope not.

Chicago A Top Terror Target; Ominous Tweet Connects ISIS Threat In City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:50 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
I don't have any partisan politics to gain. I happen to vote Independent. I'm just basing my view on all these "You go fight" and "I'd go to Canada" views that are expressed. It appears to me that many are more than willing to partake of our milk and honey but are totally unwilling to taste any salt and vinegar.

The 10-12 years of war you speak of actually was only a monetary burden for most Americans. Those who actually had their boots on the ground were all volunteers. None were drafted into service. Many volunteered for more than one tour in combat zones I n order to make rank and to further their military careers.
I wonder how much longer we will be able to maintain an all volunteer military. Based upon our treatment of our men and women in our uniformed services, I marvel at why in the world anyone would volunteer their time. I've seen countless posts on CD complaining about and equating our service members and veterans as being on a gigantic welfare program. Some of these posts are downright hateful.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I wonder how much longer we will be able to maintain an all volunteer military. Based upon our treatment of our men and women in our uniformed services, I marvel at why in the world anyone would volunteer their time. I've seen countless posts on CD complaining about and equating our service members and veterans as being on a gigantic welfare program. Some of these posts are downright hateful.
With the exception of Bush's Iraqi war, where if one didn't support it they were considered a traitor to their country, all our wars have had a sizable faction of the population against it. That's the way it's always been. Get used to it.

Also, I've never noticed "Countless threads" denigrating the US Serviceman or woman. you exaggerate. Most on all sides of the issues show the highest respect for our service personnel here on CD.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:06 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
By the same token, you don't hear Hagel posturing for 10 divisions of US troops to immediately be deployed to Iraq, either.
No, I don't. Then again, the way he describes IS, I don't think an average of 6 drone/fighter strikes per day in Iraq is going to defeat them, as Hagel said the U.S. must do.

As IS gets stronger every day, I suppose Hagel's getting a plan ready to bomb in Syria. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
We will get nuked someday. Maybe by a country or maybe by a terrorist group. But it is only a matter of time. When it happens, what will be our reaction? Attack, or just send a delegation team to talk it over?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:11 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
We will get nuked someday. Maybe by a country or maybe by a terrorist group. But it is only a matter of time. When it happens, what will be our reaction? Attack, or just send a delegation team to talk it over?
When this happens (and I agree with you it will), you can bet the board's liberals will be busy blaming Bush.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
No, I don't. Then again, the way he describes IS, I don't think an average of 6 drone/fighter strikes per day in Iraq is going to defeat them, as Hagel said the U.S. must do.

As IS gets stronger every day, I suppose Hagel's getting a plan ready to bomb in Syria. Good luck.
I think you're spot on with your assessment. Not only bomb in Syria but selective special forces operations in Syria, also.
These things take time to evolve. There are more peshmerga being armed and equipped as we speak and there is intense training by US advisers going on in Kurdistan right now bringing in more trained fighters up to speed. When all is in place, battalion sized peshmerga units with US advisers and spotters embedded with them will allow a well trained, loyal army, using all the technology and air support the US can offer, will be capable enough to turn the tide of battle.
We've already retaken the Mosul Dam, which is the most strategically important target in the entire country. Whoever controls the dam, controls the fate of the nation and it's people.
All the while the idiots in Baghdad are setting off suicide bombers trying to kill each other for power while their nation goes down the drain. the Sunni parliament just walked off the job yesterday when a suicide bomber blew up inside a Sunni mosque in Baghdad killing scores.

In addition, Iraq has a lot of spies and informers that are partial to the US cause, especially in the Sunni areas. They were our allies when we did the Surge thing back in 2006 and brought the Sunni tribal elders over to our side. They will feed our intelligence services information on where the regional ISIS leaders are so we can take them out, one by one.

We've learned much from our last two wars and one of the biggest lessons is, the number of troops does not always translate into victory. We will use small, highly trained forces in Iraq and Syria. Our main strategy is to advise, supply, train and support the peshmerga and Kurdistan. By doing this we hope to slowly constrict the ISIS into a smaller and smaller area of influence until we can separate them from the people and kill them.

That, my fellow posters is the strategy moving forward.........TIOLI.........

TIOLI.......Take It Or Leave It.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-23-2014 at 11:57 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
When this happens (and I agree with you it will), you can bet the board's liberals will be busy blaming Bush.
Is it remotely possible for you guys to step out of the nasty partisan cesspool on any issue?

I didn't think so. you people are doomed by your own unbridled hate and clouded vision.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:40 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
With the exception of Bush's Iraqi war, where if one didn't support it they were considered a traitor to their country, all our wars have had a sizable faction of the population against it. That's the way it's always been. Get used to it.

Also, I've never noticed "Countless threads" denigrating the US Serviceman or woman. you exaggerate. Most on all sides of the issues show the highest respect for our service personnel here on CD.
I disagree. Look at some of the forums concerning taxes, assistance programs, etc. and you will find those types of posts. I had one going a while back concerning reinstating the draft to allow for the military's training of our youth. I was raked over the coals just for even suggesting such an idea, even though no one else even bothered to address the issue of job training for our youth in any reasonable detail.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Liberals want America to be attacked again, obviously. Bill Clinton was busy getting oral sex while ignoring Al Qaeda. We got 9/11 as a result. Barack Obama is too busy being the anti-Bush to admit he was naïve about foreign policy. God only knows what attack we have coming our way while this President dithers. When ISIS infiltrates America, Barack Obama will be 100% to blame.
Creating your own reality? We got 9/11 because Condi Rice didn`t read Gomer`s PDB to him. Condi said the coming attack would be a mushroom cloud over one of our cities if we didn`t invade Iraq. How gullible can a person be? The score card to date....2 Americans killed by terrorists on Obama`s watch.
3,000 Americans killed by terrorists on Dubya`s watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies