Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
We had no standing army in North Vietnam. Vietnam and ISIS in Iraq are apples and oranges on so many levels there is no comparison. For one thing, We have the Peshmerga to do the heavy lifting as far as boots on the ground. We don't need to carpet bomb Mosul or Baghdad. We need intelligence where their first, second and third echelon leaders are and then just take them out with targeted strikes. There will be no fallout if some civilians die in Iraq as collateral damage. They don't even blink when another bomb goes off in a marketplace and kills hundreds. The're so used to it, they consider it the cost of doing business. That goes for Sunni and Shiite.
There will be no large occupying American force in Iraq, again.........period..........That is the one thing Obama will not let happen on his watch.
We have no standing army in Iraq anymore either. We had the South Vietnamese Army in South Vietnam and they were capable fighters as well. Obama only has two more years in office. He may try to just contain ISIS until he leaves office. I really don't have any hopes of his getting engaged enough to actually win any conflict. My faith in Obama is zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 01:05 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
We have no standing army in Iraq anymore either. We had the South Vietnamese Army in South Vietnam and they were capable fighters as well. Obama only has two more years in office. He may try to just contain ISIS until he leaves office. I really don't have any hopes of his getting engaged enough to actually win any conflict. My faith in Obama is zero.
Jeez, when you say we have no standing army in Iraq, what do you consider the Peshmerga? These guys are much more effective than a division of American troops. Especially with American support. they live there for crying out loud and it's their homeland.
And.......what is your definition of "Winning"? We will never completely annihilate the ISIS or any other terrorist group. We can only contain them.
Name me one modern terrorist group we have completely destroyed.
Hamas?
Hezbollah?
Al Qaeda?
Al Nusra?
Taliban?
More than 10 trillion dollars and countless lives have been expended trying to eliminate these groups and not one is completely destroyed, in some cases over a 50 year period.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:14 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,788 times
Quote:
Jeez, when you say we have no standing army in Iraq, what do you consider the Peshmerga? These guys are much more effective than a division of American troops. Especially with American support. they live there for crying out loud and it's their homeland.
And.......what is your definition of "Winning"? We will never completely annihilate the ISIS or any other terrorist group. We can only contain them.
Name me one modern terrorist group we have completely destroyed.
Hamas?
Hezbollah?
Al Qaeda?
Al Nusra?
Taliban?
More than 10 trillion dollars and countless lives have been expended trying to eliminate these groups and not one is completely destroyed, in some cases over a 50 year period.
I assumed you were speaking of a standing American army. My mistake. We had a standing American army there but that American army has been removed.

Yes, I agree. My original post stated my position. My stated position was: Give the military commanders the means necessary at their disposal and the authority to seek out and destroy ISIS wherever it is found regardless to any borders or jurisdictions. If we are not fully prepared to enter into any conflict with the purpose of winning said conflict, then do not send our military men and women into harm's way with their hands tied behind their backs.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I assumed you were speaking of a standing American army. My mistake. We had a standing American army there but that American army has been removed.

Yes, I agree. My original post stated my position. My stated position was: Give the military commanders the means necessary at their disposal and the authority to seek out and destroy ISIS wherever it is found regardless to any borders or jurisdictions. If we are not fully prepared to enter into any conflict with the purpose of winning said conflict, then do not send our military men and women into harm's way with their hands tied behind their backs.
I too agree. If I'd known how the war was going to be conducted in Vietnam by our politicians, I would have refused to go. In the end, I fought for the man next to me and not for the Republic of South Vietnam nor for the politicians back home.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:55 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Just want to go on record as saying that if Obama decides to take out ISIS by putting troops on the ground, I would 100% support him in that endeavor..
Sending other people's sons brothers husbands and friends to a **** hole country? No thank you.

President Obama will fight a political correct war, there would be radical change of rules of engagement. More American soldiers, Marines etc would die in combat. I've seen many of them suffer when they came back from the previous war. Many of them suffer from PTSD, (Not all, but a great numbers of them do) Have you seen the young military folks in VA hospital?

It is a lot easier being an armchair warrior hiding behind a computer. (This statement was not directed at op. I do respect op, but my conscious doesn't allow me to send my friends to combat zone. I still have many of them serving in the Marine Corps. I do believe their lives are more valuable than the terrorists)

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-23-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 02:15 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I've been in the military for 16 years, almost done. I can no longer celebrate Fathers Day because the memory of my friends killed in Iraq and they are not around to have their children give them crappy ties and World's Greates Dad coffee mugs anymore.

How about you step up this time?

As a former Marine machingegunner we are not capable of fighting the way we should be fighting. The world has changed, no more sacrificing my boys for other people's problems.
Yes This! ^^^^^^^^

Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Just want to go on record as saying that if Obama decides to take out ISIS by putting troops on the ground, I would 100% support him in that endeavor.

Even if things were to go south later, I would not second guess him and anklebite like the liberals have done with President Bush's decision to invade Afghanistan and Iraq after 9/11.
You go. I 100% support your involvement.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 PM

201 posts, read 148,433 times
Quote:
I too agree. If I'd known how the war was going to be conducted in Vietnam by our politicians, I would have refused to go. In the end, I fought for the man next to me and not for the Republic of South Vietnam nor for the politicians back home.
I hear you loud and clear on that one. I was too young to go but I knew some of the guys who came back either maimed or in caskets.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
The "stabbed in the back" meme is getting old

The politicians are not the reason we lost in.Vietnam.

We lost because fighting guerrilla warfare (which we suck at) on your enemy's own territory is ALWAYS a losing gambit. You can't win it.

And...the Vietnamese are tougher than we are.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM

[quote=Unconcerned;36209317]Now where in the world did you come up with "grassroots religious movement"? This is Obama's war now. It is Obama's Secretary of Defense, Obama's Secretary of State, etc. Bush and Cheney are long gone. I would call this one a far left wing liberal war.[/QUOTE

You misunderstand. "grassroots religious movement" is the ISIS the poster was referring to. How long do we have to stay their so they don't come back. That was the posters question. The point being, we can beat any army in the world but we are lousy at occupying other nations. Especially over the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies