Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,473,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And on people who choose to be prejudice towards Blacks.
And Blacks who are prejudiced against whites. Let's at least make a feeble attempt to be honest here.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
White women are far more likely to benefit from Affirmative Action than any other group, so don't pull that with me. And I don't care when kind of nepotism takes place. The question is, can you refute that Blacks get subjected to more job discrimination than anyone else, with all things being equal? And when I say all things being equal, education, experience, the same levels of qualification.
No I can't mainly because it is not my problem. As far as white women are concerned that did throw a kink into the Black preferential treatment under Affirmative Action but to claim it was only white women who benefitted is wrong also. I saw black women promoted who were totally unqualified for the jobs in which they were placed. The who "women" thing did take away from the Black "men" preference.

From a personal standpoint though, I ran my own electrical construction and maintenance business and was never even approached by a Black looking for a position as either an electrician or an apprentice.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthIsntTrolling View Post
African Americans generally aren't "prejudiced" against Whites. Our opinions are based on our actual real life experiences and when we match those experiences with what the history books say, it's pretty hard not to form the opinions about Europeans and their descendents that many of us rightfully hold.
I beg to disagree. From my own experience, the race card is most always played by Blacks and Black leaders. I have even been subjected to racist remarks by Blacks myself. It probably will anger you to no ends to find out that most white folks are simply too busy to lie awake at night thinking about ways to discriminate against Blacks. As a matter of actual fact, most whites simply don't care. They have other things such as their own jobs and families to think about. What really ticks Blacks off is the fact that they are not the center of attention that they wish to be.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM

2,339 posts, read 1,409,624 times
You know what though, black people need to start their own businesses and run stuff themselves. I'm tired of the same old crap statistics about being more likely to be unemployed as a black person with the same credentials as a white person. The white person has a job because another white person hired him. You are looking for more programs to force the white owner to hire black people, and at the end of the day the white owner will always look for loopholes to not hire black people. Why continue to put up with that and quite frankly, I'm sure we are all tired of working to build up the wealth in other communities. (I mean didn't we get enough of that during slavery?)

Go out, pool our resources together, and let's start black businesses all over this country. Let's work for ourselves, and forget the statistics. Stop looking for a job and create jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2014, 12:33 PM

26,267 posts, read 14,866,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthIsntTrolling View Post
African Americans generally aren't "prejudiced" against Whites. Our opinions are based on our actual real life experiences and when we match those experiences with what the history books say, it's pretty hard not to form the opinions about Europeans and their descendents that many of us rightfully hold.
That sounds exactly like what a white racist says to justify his prejudice.

72,835 posts, read 62,209,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
According to the source:
"Blacks with a college diploma now have a median income that is 95 percent of the median income of similarly educated whites"

"This is not to discount the value of a college degree for black men. African-American men with a bachelor's degree or higher still earn on average nearly double the income of black men with a high school diploma."

"Possession of a four-year college degree not only greatly increases the incomes of African Americans but goes almost all the way to close the economic gap between blacks and whites."

This article is called "Holding a Four-Year College Degree Brings Blacks Close to Economic Parity With Whites":
Holding a Four-Year College Degree Brings Blacks Close to Economic Parity With Whites
I don't doubt for a moment that having a college degree opens more doors. It does make a difference. This being said, there is still some forms of discrimination that do take place.

11,011 posts, read 10,975,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
And do you know what that makes you? AVERAGE! That's right, AVERAGE. You get no pat on the back nor any special consideration simply because you are half Black. Millions of whites, Asians, Middle Eastern people, Hispanics, etc., are also wealthy or middle class. Many have risen from below the poverty level within their own lifetimes and made themselves wealthy or risen to the upper middle class level in society. Do you really think you are special or deserving of a blue ribbon or some other award?
No, not at all. I will go back again to what I said before. You were making absolutes in your statements. I was pointing out that while yes, there are problems that exist demographically for a a majority of blacks, that does not necessarily mean all blacks. Thus, my telling you to be specific. Talk about the huge percentage of blacks born to single households. Talk about the fact that homicide is the number one cause of death for young black males. Talk about how blacks represent, proportionally for their population, too large a number on welfare. You could talk about how the vast number of blacks vote for the Democrat party and yet still the wealth gap continues. I've talked about all of these things and more but I am specific. My statements were telling you to be the same because I find if one uses absolutes, that tells me that either you cannot frame an argument well or you are misinformed as to the reality.

Quote:
She isn't asking for a blue ribbon. Black people like myself and southbel are not asking for a pat on the back. And the fact that you would assume such shows a high level of hubris. The problem people like her and myself is that we get no recognition. The segment of the Black population who causes so many problems gets all the attention, and for the wrong reasons. Black people like me get tired of getting lumped in with the underclass.
I do get tired of seeing yet another black martyr highlighted on the media and then to find out, he was not deserving of that martyrdom at all. I want to see Neil DeGrasse Tyson held up as the role model for black males and admired as Steve Jobs was. Or Condeleeza Rice or any number of successful black people that never have and never will engage in crime or gang related behavior. I want to see a cultural shift among black people that values education first along with hard work, good choices, and personal responsibility. The reality is that until blacks stop protesting for those who represent the criminal stereotype, we will have to work harder to overcome these cultural images. I don't have a problem with that at all and if anything, I think by showing that not all blacks are quick to jump on the woe is me bandwagon, it helps educate not only other blacks but also white people.

Quote:
The rest of us get no recognition either. So? The rest of us simply go about our daily lives raising our families and making a living. It appears that you and she expect everyone to put you on a pedestal or something because you are doing exactly what the rest of us have done.
No, not a pedestal at all. Simply an understanding that while there are those blacks out there reinforcing stereotypes, there are also blacks out there who do not. I've never had a problem with talking about the issues in the black community (a phrase I actually hate), but I do have a problem with absolutes and saying ALL blacks are X or ALL blacks are Y simply because it's not true.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:34 PM

72,835 posts, read 62,209,776 times
Quote:
And Blacks who are prejudiced against whites. Let's at least make a feeble attempt to be honest here.
What does that have anything to do with what I was talking about? I was talking about diligent Black people being lumped in with the underclass.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
You know what though, black people need to start their own businesses and run stuff themselves. I'm tired of the same old crap statistics about being more likely to be unemployed as a black person with the same credentials as a white person. The white person has a job because another white person hired him. You are looking for more programs to force the white owner to hire black people, and at the end of the day the white owner will always look for loopholes to not hire black people. Why continue to put up with that and quite frankly, I'm sure we are all tired of working to build up the wealth in other communities. (I mean didn't we get enough of that during slavery?)

Go out, pool our resources together, and let's start black businesses all over this country. Let's work for ourselves, and forget the statistics. Stop looking for a job and create jobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly!! Why don't they. They will even receive special considerations from the Small Business Administration. GRIPE is their mainstay.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
What does that have anything to do with what I was talking about? I was talking about diligent Black people being lumped in with the underclass.
It's correcting your own statement about whites being prejudiced against Blacks. It works both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies